M&P 9mm Sight Problem

M&P 9mm Sight Problem

This is a discussion on M&P 9mm Sight Problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off, this may run a little long, so I apologize in advance. Note that all of my shooting has been done at around 10 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: M&P 9mm Sight Problem

RT [OP]

M&P 9mm Sight Problem

First off, this may run a little long, so I apologize in advance. Note that all of my shooting has been done at around 10 yards, and I have been using 147gr American Eagle ammo for the most part (if that matters at all).

About a month ago, I purchased a full size M&P 9mm from my LGS and had them install some Trijicon HD night sights. I have put 800 rounds through it so far with no FTF, FTE, etc., but I noticed it consistently shot to the left. At first, I attributed this to user error since I was still getting used to the pistol, but it seemed to progressively get worse, ending up around 3-4 inches left of center.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago at the range. At this point, I began to think that it was the gun and not me. When I looked closely, I could see the rear sight had slid almost all the way over to the left side of the slide, so I loosened the set screw, drifted the sight back to center, and retightened the set screw. Once I got the sight positioned where I wanted it, I ended up drilling out the center of the target with the few remaining mags of ammo I had.

Fast forward again to today. I go back to the range, and everything started out fine. Several mags in and I notice my shots starting to drift to the left. I looked at the sights and notice that they had slid back over to the left of the slide yet again. The set screw was still tight, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. When I loosened the set screw, I noticed I was able to manipulate the sight back and forth a little bit with just my fingers. Same as before, get the sight centered, and my shots are hitting dead center.

Anyone know what might cause this? Does it sound like the gunsmith maybe went the wrong direction when removing the stock sights and boogered up the dovetail when installing the night sights? I saw somewhere that one side of the dovetail is just a tad smaller than the other side, so it is necessary to remove and replace the sight from one particular side of the slide. Also, if this is the case, what course of action would you recommend? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Get the sight where you want it and pencil an alignment mark on the sight and the slide. Then remove the setscrew, clean it with a solvent (I like spray brake cleaner), let it dry and re-install it with blue LocTite. That should take care of it. If not, then yes, your 'smith may have mucked things up, or simply used the wrong rear sight.
    rocky and archer51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Get the sight where you want it and pencil an alignment mark on the sight and the slide. Then remove the setscrew, clean it with a solvent (I like spray brake cleaner), let it dry and re-install it with blue LocTite. That should take care of it. If not, then yes, your 'smith may have mucked things up, or simply used the wrong rear sight.
    Your gunsmith may also be able to install a different set screw as well. One with a tip that will dig into the surface so it can't slip.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

RT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I took it in a few days ago, and they did exactly what you suggested. I'm still not sure that will solve the problem. I didn't have an issue with the set screw backing out. My issue was with the sight walking even though the set screw was fully tightened. I guess we'll see though. It'll probably be a week or more before I have a chance to get to the range and test it.

Sponsored Links