Hearing Protection for shooting - Page 2

Hearing Protection for shooting

This is a discussion on Hearing Protection for shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; well, I also have a lot of congestion in my face,, especially the left side. but im not gonna shoot the gun again until the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hearing Protection for shooting

well, I also have a lot of congestion in my face,, especially the left side.

but im not gonna shoot the gun again until the congestion and especially the ringing is gone.

I also suggest doubling up at an indoor range. Most pistols are around 155db (357 magnums can be 165db) so even if you remove 30db with the best muffs it's still too loud. I really have grown to dislike indoor ranges at all especially when people insist on lighting off huge numbers of magnum rounds. I think there's still some damage being done then even with the best hearing protection available.

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    I also suggest doubling up at an indoor range. Most pistols are around 155db (357 magnums can be 165db) so even if you remove 30db with the best muffs it's still too loud. I really have grown to dislike indoor ranges at all especially when people insist on lighting off huge numbers of magnum rounds. I think there's still some damage being done then even with the best hearing protection available.
    oh yeah, Im gonna use the inner-ear sponges along with the muffs...especially when im indoors.

I was there when the 1st Barrett 50 cal. rifle arrived at my LGS ~20 years ago. As it was being unboxed, I noticed a set of disposable foam plugs packaged with a red *WARNING* label saying to include them UNDER a good set of muffs. There was also (no joke) a small pack of Tylenol. I thought it was some clever marketing ploy. I WAS WRONG!!! As calibers continue to move heavier bullets faster, do yourself a favor. Always & in ALL WAYS default to the side of caution when it comes to hearing protection. Use more than you think you could possibly need. Later in life, it'll save your wife a lot of irritation & repeated sentences.
    Brad426 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Try fitting both pairs more closely to your head by watching the muff compression in mirrors, front, back, sides. The headbands are adjustable in different ways. That and double up with ear plugs. I have several pairs of plugs. Also shop on-line at industrial supply houses.........

Aearo ER20, North Safety Products Impact Noise Reducers - Premium Music Earplugs, Radians, Elvex

See here: http://www.fullsource.com/ear-plugs/...m_rsItemList=0 and shop and sort by NRR.

Hmmmmm......So I guess my cigarette butts are lacking a bit of technilogical advances......What? You'll have to speak up.

neverenough

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    it never hurts to double up with foam plugs and muffs
    I normally use the foam plugs and they're adequate for my needs. Rated at 29 db. I have some cheapo ear muffs that work equally as well on their own, and do great when doubling up with the foam if surrounded by people shooting some big guns.

The thing about the foam plugs is that there are plenty of times I see people at the range with no hearing protection, so I don't mind handing a few pairs out.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

FYI...ringing is going away. Looks like it was connected to my severe congestion.

either way, I will NEVER shoot indoors again without inner-ear and earmuff protection.

outside, maybe ill do it without the inner ears. But only with the new 30 NRR earmuffs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links