Black rifles - Page 2

Black rifles

This is a discussion on Black rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I can find beauty in just about any firearm (including black rifles) but I can certainly understand your strong preference for bolt action ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Black rifles

I think I can find beauty in just about any firearm (including black rifles) but I can certainly understand your strong preference for bolt action rifles. Aside from the potential ballistic and accuracy benefits, bolt action rifles are just gratifying to look at and own. I'll take an AK47 or an AR15 in a SHTF situation, however.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    So are there others that have never caught the black rifle fever, or do I have a screw loose?
    I agree with you. They aren't particularly good rifles. IMO the appeal is all about looking like something you're not. If you want to see some cool rifles look at the first ten pages of the Cabella's catalog, OR HERE. The other leg of demand is from those who compulsively buy whatever someone says they can't have. The ban that took place almost 20 years ago expired almost 10 years ago, but they just can't get over it. A few nutbags think they are going to get rich if a ban is re-enacted, and a few more think the world is going to end any day, and they are going to (at last) take their rightful place on the throne and get the respect they deserved all their life but never got.

These things are not "collectibles". The home builds are something no one wants to buy 2nd hand, and the factory-mades are available in the millions. Come to think of it, I wouldn't buy or want any second-hand assault-rifles. They are too complex and finicky for most people to care for, so the reason for selling, like as not, is that they are broken or worn out, or mist-treated, or not accurate, or....who knows?

No matter what anybody says, they aren't hunting rifles any more than a F-350 is a commuter car. No decent hunter would choose an AR over a Weatherby Mark V. Good hunters don't need 30 rounds or want all the junk getting in the way. Real rifles pull up to your cheek in-line and feel natural in your hands. They don't turn your hands into hamburger or jam constantly.

The 556 round is purpose built and designed for humane man-killing. In the end it's just a big .22 and not well suited to hunting.

The SHTF (world haters) crowd is kidding itself. First there is no credible SHTF scenario; they are all fantasies. Second, the supposition that everyone is going to turn cannibal and rob, rape & pillage, is without merit, and highly suggestive of their own proclivities rather than those of the American people they have such low esteem for. Third, even if their was a survivable event, no one has a way to cart around that heavy ammo in any useful quantity except the military. These people need to crawl out of their caves and get a handle on how large this country is, and how resourceful it's people.

Fear-mongering is a multi-billion dollar business selling stuff no one needs to people who (mostly) can't afford it. It's an easy club to join with no membership standards.

My bolt gun is black, does that count? Savage 10 fp, with black stock.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Senior Moderator
    I have an FN-FAL that is black, and a Winchester Model 70 featherwieght that's black too
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'm an AK guy, and own a very nice one (Arsenal SGL-21). I also have a Romanian underfolder, Draco AK pistol, and a Hungarian AMD-65 side-folder. Like I said, I'm an AK guy.

Lately, I've been kinda checking out the AR platform, but am low on cash, and don't have a lot of knowledge about AR good brands, accessories, etc. I certainly don't want to run out and buy a crappy one due to ignorance.

I know I'm on the other side of the coin, but I don't hunt, and hunting rifles don't do much for me.

Here's a pic (borrowed from internet) of what I have. A dream to shoot.

sgl21.jpg

For bolt-action rifles, I have my 5 trusty Mosins.

Senior Moderator
    I havent really caught the "black gun fever" although I own a few. I've got several AR's from 10.5 up to 20" in .223 and .300AAC.
    I do have some .308's, an AR10,HK 91 and a few Remington PSS's.
    I've got the Colt M4 .22 just for fun.
    I've got a few AK's, one SBR and a few others.
    I've got several target rifles that all have HS Precision stocks and high dollar scopes that'll shoot a long ways and they are black.

I still appreciate a fine blued gun with nice wood on it though.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    I spent 20 years of service with the AR15/M16 platform.It just feels right in my hands. I have one at the house that was put together by me ,so my understanding of this rifle is intimate and complete.It is the platform of choice for my civilian job.I don't own one because it is the popular choice or because i like to follow the crowd.I went to war with this rifle ,i train with this rifle twice month at a minimum.I would be silly for me to forsake it.Odviously i cannot speak to everbody elses experiences.
    The easy way is always mined.

To each his own.

An AK or AR would be a better tool in a riot situation.

It's happened before, it will happen again.

On a lighter note, I really enjoy my bolt action .17 HMR more than anything at the moment. And I'll never sell my Dad's pre 64 model 70 '06.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

If I actually need to use a rifle in a combat situation (which certainly can, has, and will happen again in this country, though I certainly hope not in my part of it...), I am grabbing the AR. I love my milsurp bolt-guns in .30 caliber. I have the Mosins, a 1903A3, a Yugo Mauser, an Enfield .303. They are awesome, and I would not want to part with any of them. I understand people not being enthused about the AR platform, or the AKs. In many ways they're not as exciting just because seemingly everyone has/wants one. Nevertheless, an AR in 5.56 is able to (very accurately) fire the same .223 cartridge varmint hunters have happily used for decades. An AK fires the 7.62X39, which is almost as good as a .30-30 that I see no objection to from practically anyone. Finally, like I said, occasionally very bad things happen. Those awesome bolt-guns I have would still be in the safe, and my AR would be on my shoulder in such a situation. It's not going to jam, and it is plenty powerful for such a purpose. My bolt-guns are fascinating pieces of history, and in a hunting, target range, or even woods walk in bear country context, highly useful. The ARs are tools, are still a lot of fun to shoot, and I wouldn't give them up any sooner than I would anything else I have.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    I agree with you. They aren't particularly good rifles. IMO the appeal is all about looking like something you're not. If you want to see some cool rifles look at the first ten pages of the Cabella's catalog, OR HERE. The other leg of demand is from those who compulsively buy whatever someone says they can't have. The ban that took place almost 20 years ago expired almost 10 years ago, but they just can't get over it. A few nutbags think they are going to get rich if a ban is re-enacted, and a few more think the world is going to end any day, and they are going to (at last) take their rightful place on the throne and get the respect they deserved all their life but never got.

These things are not "collectibles". The home builds are something no one wants to buy 2nd hand, and the factory-mades are available in the millions. Come to think of it, I wouldn't buy or want any second-hand assault-rifles. They are too complex and finicky for most people to care for, so the reason for selling, like as not, is that they are broken or worn out, or mist-treated, or not accurate, or....who knows?

No matter what anybody says, they aren't hunting rifles any more than a F-350 is a commuter car. No decent hunter would choose an AR over a Weatherby Mark V. Good hunters don't need 30 rounds or want all the junk getting in the way. Real rifles pull up to your cheek in-line and feel natural in your hands. They don't turn your hands into hamburger or jam constantly.

The 556 round is purpose built and designed for humane man-killing. In the end it's just a big .22 and not well suited to hunting.

The SHTF (world haters) crowd is kidding itself. First there is no credible SHTF scenario; they are all fantasies. Second, the supposition that everyone is going to turn cannibal and rob, rape & pillage, is without merit, and highly suggestive of their own proclivities rather than those of the American people they have such low esteem for. Third, even if their was a survivable event, no one has a way to cart around that heavy ammo in any useful quantity except the military. These people need to crawl out of their caves and get a handle on how large this country is, and how resourceful it's people.

Fear-mongering is a multi-billion dollar business selling stuff no one needs to people who (mostly) can't afford it. It's an easy club to join with no membership standards.
    Brave man. Much above, spot on. Decades ago (1966) there was a comedy film, "The Russians are Coming, The Russians are coming." It was a good spoof on a certain mentality regarding fantasy scenarios.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I havent really caught the "black gun fever" although I own a few. I've got several AR's from 10.5 up to 20" in .223 and .300AAC.
    I do have some .308's, an AR10,HK 91 and a few Remington PSS's.
    I've got the Colt M4 .22 just for fun.
    I've got a few AK's, one SBR and a few others.
    I've got several target rifles that all have HS Precision stocks and high dollar scopes that'll shoot a long ways and they are black.

I still appreciate a fine blued gun with nice wood on it though.
    Ditto to the part in bold.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    The AR and AK are just two types of guns out there, so no worries.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I disagree with Bullshark. Any gun in the right hands is the right gun to hunt with. The larger magazines, while not needed, are not useless either. I only use my 5 round magazine to hunt with in my CZ 452, but I use my 10 round magazines to have fun with and to make certain my gun is on at the range.

The .223/5.56 and the 308/7.62 rounds are very good rounds for certain hunting applications. Pretty much everything up to the largest of game can be taken safely with the two rounds.

In the end a good shooter can get the most out of their hardware. Don't go on the fact that most shooters don't practice enough to utilize their hardware before you make a general statement. There are many shooters that are more than capable of handling the scenarios they encounter in the world with the hardware they practice with. You just don't hear much from them.

The difference between the ability most of my family that we hunt with practice using our hardware a fair amount. More range time would be better, but we shoot more than most. My brother has never spent much time on the range with a rifle.

Ironically, my brother has spent a lot of time shooting his bow, and can hit what he wants with ease. Put a gun in his hands, and he almost has trouble shooting the broad side of a barn at 100 yards. The rest of us can bring down a deer with ease during the gun deer season. Proper practice makes all the difference.

I don't care what type of gun someone uses as long as they can do their job. A good hunter brings the right tool for the job after all. Hunting is like IT work. There are often many equally good ways to get the job done.

Got a few around here. They are collecting dust as shtf weapons. Trained and used one in various " climb and places" around the world, but was never really impressed with the performance or the general appeal of it.
    But it works well for it's intended purpose and it is .. familiar to me.

But nothing I'm my opinion beats the M14, and I wouldn't trade it for 3 AR's.

But my all time favorites are lever guns and old Mauser style military rifles.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Glockman has it right. I carried an M14 in country and it never failed me. The first M16s were a disaster. Probably responsible for as many U.S. troop casualties as the enemy. IMO the people that foisted that pos on our troops should be tried for treason and shot.
    However, I have an Anderson AR heavy bbl and it is perfect so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links