Black rifles - Page 3

Black rifles

This is a discussion on Black rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a handgun guy. Until recently I never considered a rife of any kind,(except a SKS I bought years ago). I have been feeling ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Black rifles

I am a handgun guy. Until recently I never considered a rife of any kind,(except a SKS I bought years ago). I have been feeling that my handgun collection was just about complete and I have been eyeing ARs. In fact I am going to be shoping for one today. I have been trying to learn about them for about a month now. Why? Because I just want one. There is one thing that bugs me about them though, A gun that comes without a sight? As Andy Rooney used to say, Why is that? Every gun I have ever bought came ready to shoot but it seems most ARs have to have some sort of high priced sight added later.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I am a handgun guy. Until recently I never considered a rife of any kind,(except a SKS I bought years ago). I have been feeling that my handgun collection was just about complete and I have been eyeing ARs. In fact I am going to be shoping for one today. I have been trying to learn about them for about a month now. Why? Because I just want one. There is one thing that bugs me about them though, A gun that comes without a sight? As Andy Rooney used to say, Why is that? Every gun I have ever bought came ready to shoot but it seems most ARs have to have some sort of high priced sight added later.
    Colts come with sights, and I find them rather nice. Plenty of others come with the same kind of sights (standard carry handle rear, front sight post)...

As you look at rifles, you will find that most of them do not come with optics.

Some have iron sights, many do not. It's part of the customizability/weight reduction for rifles depending on the type of rifle you are looking at.

It's just part of buying a rifle. It's been that way for the 20 years I've been looking at guns with my Father as a young man, and now by myself as an adult. From the way my Father talks, it was that way long before I was born.

As far as cost goes, you can go with any type of scope/sights you want. The price varies a lot depending on what you want/need. Be patient and do some research to get the right sights/optics you need.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I am a handgun guy. Until recently I never considered a rife of any kind,(except a SKS I bought years ago). I have been feeling that my handgun collection was just about complete and I have been eyeing ARs. In fact I am going to be shoping for one today. I have been trying to learn about them for about a month now. Why? Because I just want one.
    I consider myself a big handgun guy (in addition to being an AK guy), and I'm sorta in the same boat about the AR platform.

One of the things that draws my interest is that the AR platform has been the focus of a ton of improvements and innovation in the firearms world. The platform also has a ton of variety in calibers, optics, and other accessories. While I don't love all of the tacticool stuff out there, I do think that the platform has a lot going for it. I like what I like and really couldn't care less what detractors may say.

Oh, yeah. I love the AK platform as well. Black rifles are awesome.

Not long ago I read an article that made the case for the M4 being the top home defense weapon... (handy, potent and least likely to over-penetrate).
    As long guns go (aside from .22s), their ammo is cheap and easily optained... and recoil is almost non-existent.
    They're good for close-up, short and medium ranges.
    They have their place.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

O.K. I did it. I bought a S&W m&p 15. Please don't ask for pics. I just have not figured out how to do that.( besides , if you have seen one basic AR you have seen them all) It did not come with sights.( Go figure?) Now I need some advice on what kind of sights I should get. The gun will be a casual shooter with some home defense possible. I want it to be a mostly fun gun. I know I will get a lot of good advice from you guys.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links