Black rifles

This is a discussion on Black rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This seems to be a more acceptable term for this breed of firearm than the term the politicians use. Whatever. I just read a post ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Black rifles

Black rifles

This seems to be a more acceptable term for this breed of firearm than the term the politicians use. Whatever.

I just read a post where a guy said that a 223 and a 7.62X39 should be a part of any serious arsenal. Well, I gave that some thought. And I realized something:

I have never wanted a rifle like these. No interest whatsoever.

This seems odd for a gun guy. Just about all of my friends have an AR of some variant. A few have AKs, or whatever they are known as. But the only kind of rifle I have ever owned or even wanted is a bolt action rifle. Other than an old 66 Remington, all my rifles are bolt guns. From a 77/22 Ruger to a 300 H&H I had built awhile back, bolts all around. I would say that I prefer the long range accuracy that the bolt guns offer, but I hear tell that modern ARs can darn near keep up. The only rifle of that kind that I have ever fired was one that a sheriff in Wyoming let me shoot at a competition. AR platform that I fired a few rounds on semi to get a feel for the trigger, and then three round burst. Obviously, a law enforcement weapon. And I hated it. Probably the only gun guy that shies from rock and roll. Could be that I cut my teeth on bolt guns, and tend to stick with what I know. Old school that way. One in the bull at 500 (yeah, I can with a good position. As much time as I have spent, I accept no less) seems better to me. I imagine an AR can do that in competent hands, but those hands are not mine. So are there others that have never caught the black rifle fever, or do I have a screw loose?

2. Remove Ads

There's an AR around here but it's pretty low on the favorite list. I like the .30s, .308 and .30-06, and still like bolt actions which is what mostly populates the safe.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

No screws loose.

I was a holdout for a long time. The .223 is a wimp round compared to the .308 and .30-06 in "proper" battle rifles, and black plastic looks like it's made by Mattel, not Winchester or Colt. And you need 30-round mags just to finish off the business that the serious rounds would handle with just a handful.

Then I moved to Arizona, and I had my own epiphany about the ARs that was stimulated by the big gun shows out here. I started reading more and I realized that the AR was the latest evolution in the military rifle that began with flintlocks, and who was I to think that the evolution stopped 50 years ago? Just opened my eyes a bit more. I bought one, shot it a little, then took a serious training course and shot it LOTS more. Now I'm a believer, and I've since picked up a second one.

The AR will never get my nod as a pretty gun, I'm more drawn to the Garand I just started shooting, and my lone sporting bolt gun is a thing of beauty in comparison to either. The black gun ("sport utility rifle") has its place, but there's no shame if the thing just doesn't appeal to you. Some folks feel that way about lever guns or single-shots. Thank goodness we have so many choices!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Both calibers are available in bolt action rifles. Very fine platforms and if you reload no need to crawl around looking for your brass.

Michael

Administrator
    To each cat his own rat.

As long as you are PRO gun I sure don't mind you being more PRO over one type than another.
    Doodle and Hopyard like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Technically I would have to be a revolver guy to draw a similarity between your feelings for the AR platform and mine for 1911s. We all have different tastes...in just about everything. Find what works for you, enjoy the heck out of it and let others do the same is how I play these differences. I wish more felt like you so the price point of these already affordable rifles would fall a bit further. Lol
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I've liked the AR platform since my old Vietnam days. My first was a government issue M16A1 back in 1968 and it truly was a jam-o-matic, but all of the later civilian model ARs I had since were pretty good guns. Since I will never qualify as a real long distance sharpshooter, the alternative is being able to throw a lot of rounds downrange. ARs do that extremely well today. Ammo is cheap and light and you can hump a lot of it.

Today's ARs are easy to maintain and modify, and there are a ton of accessories. I'll always have a black rifle in my collection.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nothing wrong with a dedicated long range bolt gun,unless the BG's get really close,then I prefer a shorter barrel and 30 rounds on tap at the pull of a trigger,my long range shooter is an AR10 in 308,20 round mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've got an awful lot of years on the trigger of AR platforms, of one kind or another. M16A1, A2, M4, Mk12, SR25, Recce etc. It's what I know best but not to be outdone by various sniper rifles through out the years also. I still prefer a bolt gun too any SASS type sniper weapon. The Knights M110 is a complete work of junk metal and should be used for that purpose........................................... .....scrap.

Honestly though, there is nothing like a good day out on the range/overland with my lever guns. I still see any gun collection without a semi auto rifle as incomplete. The M1G and M1A are still in on my fav's list too.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

To my way of thinking, the issue is about firepower, and about the simplest and most-effective method of delivering it. Deadly situations can vary, in terms of how much ammo is required how fast and at what distances. The AR and AK platforms seem to be about the most-useful combination in a single package, given the range of situations and distances shooters might encounter with the one gun.

The alternatives: Handgun, shotgun, bolt-action rifle, lever-action rifle, M1, M1 Carbine, AR/AK.

Closest suitable alternatives to the AR/AK platforms, IMO: the lever-action rifle and the M1 Carbine. Though each has its limitations in the areas mentioned below, as well as perhaps being a bit more PC in its acceptance by others.

In a single platform, though, it seems to me that the AR/AK platforms offer the most-flexible combination of features in a light fighting platform. Ease of use, ease of handling, maneuverability, close-in and longer distances, light and compact ammo, relatively fast reloads, relatively fast rate of fire, relative popularity (for training, parts and finding a replacement if lost/destroyed).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I guess I'm a M14/.308 kind of guy myself although I don't yet own one. A bolt action 1903 Springfield isn't to bad either. Guess I'm just showing my age.

VIP Member
    Each has their own place. For long range, precision shooting, it is hard to beat a bolt action. However in a closer in SHTF scenario a bolt action puts you at a disadvantage. Higher capacity and rapid fire becomes an advantage then. Caliber wise I'd rather have one of the .30's over the .223/5.56.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Like some have said before me... So long as your pro gun I got not problem with someone voicing their opinion as to which guns they like better. I do have 1 question though... I see your in NW Iowa... Are you so far out in the sticks that civil unrest is just not an issue? I hope that doesn't sound smart because quite frankly I wish I was "in the sticks" myself. My point here is I live in a semi urban area and with current events I feel the need for a high capacity semi auto rifle. I would want something with more rate of fire than bolt guns should the idiots start rioting due to economic woes or a Zimmerman aquital or whatever.

Maybe an M1A in your case?

Yep, I'm in the sticks. Not too much worry about civil unrest up here. Rest assured gents, I have no problem with ANY type of firearm. You all have my backing regardless. I just thought it odd that I never had any interest in the AR platforms. Bolt guns, shotguns, and handguns are more my speed.

Now a minigun.......

All depends on what you're shooting at...and if it's shooting back.
    Phillep Harding likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links