Pig hunting, who does it?

This is a discussion on Pig hunting, who does it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TinKnocker This is by far my favorite hunting! Here in North Texas they are out of control so there are always farmers ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pig hunting, who does it?

Quote Originally Posted by TinKnocker View Post
    This is by far my favorite hunting! Here in North Texas they are out of control so there are always farmers looking for people to help with cutting down the population. In some areas around here they have done a ton of damage to land, fences, crops, etc. I enjoy hunting them any way I can. I've got one buddy that has a couple of AR10's with NV optics that we'll use and stay out all night hunting. Also have a buddy that uses dogs, talk about an experience! Dogs are fun but are way more work than rifle hunting lol.

Anything over 75-100lbs we just drag off and leave for the other hogs and critters to eat. The ones that are 50-75lbs are some good eating though.
    I can tell you've done this before.

We go by the same weight rule as well.

We use an ar15 with nv and an ar10 with nv. We ride around about 5500 acres on an electric Polaris ranger and get after some pigs. 60+ in one night is doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

2. Remove Ads

Don't pursue them with a passion but pigs have happened here on occasion.

pistola and WHEC724 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I haven't yet,with my disabilities it can be tough to get out,but hopefully next year I can get one or two,one thing about Tx is if you are a disabled Vet they give you a free fishing and hunting license for everything from freshwater/saltwater fishing to Deer/Turkey/Javelina and bird hunting
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Never tried it myself but sure looks like fun:
    JoeK likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I did for about 20 years when I was younger. Seems we allways had a hog ready to BBQ

VIP Member
    This is a 525 pounder that my buddy nailed last Friday night. He doesn't even use dogs. You may note how lean this piggy is. He's been grazing a farmer's soy bean field. The meat looked like venison. My friend counted over 40 in the herd that he picked this one out of.
    Ricks Hogzilla.jpgRicks Hogzilla 2.jpg

Love it. When I want an eater I grab a little 70 pounder. the bigger one here tasted like a shoe. (except for the sausage).
    WHEC724 likes this.

i wish. no wild hogs in wisconsin.
    Be careful what you wish for ......... if ya get em ya wont be happy ya got em for long. They hurt deer a lot around here. Where deer are browsers and pick and nibble along the way. 3 or 4 small hogs under 100# will come thru and pick every acorn off the ground under a oak tree in about 30 minutes.
    I shoot em all on sight regardless of size. We eat boars under 100# and sows up to 200#. The larger boars meat we feed to the dogs or freeze it and use it for trap bait.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I haven't yet,with my disabilities it can be tough to get out,but hopefully next year I can get one or two,one thing about Tx is if you are a disabled Vet they give you a free fishing and hunting license for everything from freshwater/saltwater fishing to Deer/Turkey/Javelina and bird hunting
    That is great! But those licenses still cost more than anyone else pays. Thank you for you sacrifice.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Hog hunting in north texas is great fun, I use a 30-30 or 30.06 out of deer blind..set up lights with trailer lights for autozone red light gives enough light to shoot and doesn't scare the hogs...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

We catch em. Shooting them is for girls :)

Besides the ones we are going to eat taste way better after a couple weeks of feed. About 80% of what we catch come out of gated golf course communities and we get paid $100 for each one. Most of the rest come out of orange groves and we do shoot quite a few of those. We get 8-18 a night in the orange groves when we go. We filled a pen trap on a golf course once with 16 and that was fun getting them out and into the trucks since we couldn't shoot them.

They are a major problem in Florida (and many other place). The guy I hunt with has several private contracts with golf courses and HOA's, one with the county, and several groves. Most of the shooting is with a .22 mag or shotgun.

No permit or season in Florida on private land. Shoot at night, no limit or closed season.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links