At the range....Type of targets.. does it matter? - Page 2

At the range....Type of targets.. does it matter?

This is a discussion on At the range....Type of targets.. does it matter? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 That red dot in the center is the secret helper for many shooters. It gives you something at which to aim. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: At the range....Type of targets.. does it matter?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    That red dot in the center is the secret helper for many shooters. It gives you something at which to aim. That isn't really a bad thing. Try to find some silhouette targets that are simple black and white. You will see how much that dot has helped you in the past.

It is simply a matter of focus.

Just remember, in the dark and cold on the street, your "target" won't have a big red dot on his COM.
    He will if my Crimson Trace on my 1911's is working If the CTs aren't working--well the sights are Tritium.
    I shoot using a target much like SunTzu uses except my are black n white (cheaper).

Now that we have had some snow & rain, our range should finally be open again (been closed almost all summer for fire danger). I plan on buying a mix of scenario targets from LE targets and setting up some mixed targets at different ranges--maybe have my wife or a shooting partner put up different scenario targets while I have my back turned, and then turn, assess and engage as appropriate.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

NMB
    Col. Grossman claims that practicing and having soldiers shoot at silhouette/life like targets increased the likely hood of actually firing in a fire fight vs freezing up.

Practice how you fight and fight how you practiced.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Col. Grossman claims that practicing and having soldiers shoot at silhouette/life like targets increased the likely hood of actually firing in a fire fight vs freezing up.

Practice how you fight and fight how you practiced.
    I would agree with that, based on the hesitation and reluctance to fire I have seen from some folks in F-to-F exercises.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member

Just remember, in the dark and cold on the street, your "target" won't have a big red dot on his COM.
    Correct. It will be a 7.5 mil triangle.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

It's easy to make your own shoot and see targets too guys.

Plenty of videos on YouTube.

Neon paper/posters/notecards
    +packing tape
    +black cheapo spray paint
    =life size shoot and see target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Since the circles are roughly the same size as the silhouette head, I'd say it's psychosomatic. If you want better practice, put a t-shirt/cap on the sil target and see how you do.

I have taken to carrying a package of red dot stickers so if confronted by bad guy(s) I will simply place the stickers on appropriate places on them......

http://www.amazon.com/Map-Dot-Sticke.../dp/B003M6W0BG
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Senior Moderator
    Me and bunch of guys will go to the range and shoot at B27 silhouettes with our pistols. The target is set at 100 yards and we take some duct tape and tape a 1/2 pound jar of Tannerite to the back of the target right behind the x.

Then, we'll each take a shot. Whoever hit the target and blows it up first, gets to pick out a gun, anyones gun and shoot it at the next target. It's a lot of fun and you get to shoot a lot of guns. Some of the guys are pretty good and the target never lasts for more than a few shots unless you get devious.

I popped a target with my Colt Anaconda with the first shot, so I got to pick out he next gun that everyone shot with. Just to make it interesting, I chose the Keltech PF9 with the 2 mile long trigger. I cant say how many shots it took as everyone shot several times but we just about ran out of ammo before the target finally blew up.

We do get some weird looks from the timid people, but who dosent like blowing stuff up? At least its easy to tell if you hit center of mass.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That's awesome, didn't think handgun rounds would work with tannerite.

I use paper plates and make an x in the middle lol. Ok I am cheap say it.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Senior Moderator
    That's awesome, didn't think handgun rounds would work with tannerite.
    The little calibers wont but the bigger calibers will.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

honestly, i staple up whatever paper is on the floorboards of my car. my range has a paper only rule, otherwise it would be whatever garbage was on the floorboards.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links