At the range....Type of targets.. does it matter?

This is a discussion on At the range....Type of targets.. does it matter? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the range today and was wondering; Does type of target affect anyone elses shooting? I noticed that with Body Silhouette targets that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: At the range....Type of targets.. does it matter?

At the range....Type of targets.. does it matter?

I was at the range today and was wondering; Does type of target affect anyone elses shooting? I noticed that with Body Silhouette targets that have the red circle center mass I am able to hit inside the circle no problem at all (even with the sporadic shooting of my LC9, its me not the gun im still getting used to the loooooong trigger pull). But, I purchased a couple of the cheap $1 per sheet targets from the range shop that is 4 small 6" circle bullseye targets on one big square sheet and boy do I have trouble with those. I was having trouble staying inside each target let alone in the center of the target. I dont know if it is the fact that the target is smaller or not but it concerns me that my accuracy is so much different on a sheet of 4 6" targets compared to when its a silhouette with a small 2" circle in center mass. Even on the silhouette I can aim at the head and hit very accurately. Are my eyes just not good at adapting to different sight pictures with different types of targets? God forbid I need to use my weapon in a defensive situation before I fix this problem, if I do I sure hope I have my silhouette target accuracy with me instead of my circle bullseye target accuracy. Yikes.

2. Remove Ads

I have an easier time aiming at the targets that change color when you have hits. Helps me adjust at a distance on 10m or further. You may be able to get the trigger pull lightened as that does often also affect accuracy.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

For accuracy/target shooting I use a sheet of paper and make black 1/2 inch dots. That makes you really concentrate. For realism and tactical/scenario training I have my own sillouttes with the COM outlined in pencil so you can't see it while shooting. I figure the bad guy is not going to put a red dot on his chest so i don't train that way...never did.
    DIRO305 and WHEC724 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    That red dot in the center is the secret helper for many shooters. It gives you something at which to aim. That isn't really a bad thing. Try to find some silhouette targets that are simple black and white. You will see how much that dot has helped you in the past.

It is simply a matter of focus.

Just remember, in the dark and cold on the street, your "target" won't have a big red dot on his COM.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I use the shoot n c circle targets. If I need to adjust at the rifle range I don't have to walk a hundred yards to see where I am hitting, I can see the holes through the scope. At the pistol range I use the shoot and see because I can see the holes at 50 feet and adjust on the fly so to speak. The silhouette target offers me to much to shoot at so I try to keep it small for sighting in any of the firearms.

VIP Member
    I believe for me steel eliminates the visual element of target-checking, as ostensibly subconscious as it may be, and allows a more effective follow-through and shooting rhythm. First shots are about the same, but I am much more precise on steel than I am on paper on follow-up shots.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I use the "DOTS" targets and repair them with the Shoot -n- C sticker targets. These are the ones that have numbered 5 inch circles with small 2 inch circles in between. If I'm solo I'll do double taps to 1,3,5,2,4,6 or reverse it. If I have company I'll ask them to call out numbers. I mostly do this kind of shooting (along with presentation and reloading) but I don't often shoot beyond 15 yards, so this works for me.

I've been working through the targets that I've purchased over the past, and I too like to use the Shoot-N-C stickers on whatever cheap-o paper targets I can pick up at the local dealer. But, once these run out, I'm going to paper plates and a Sharpie. I'll figure out some contraption that will act as a giant compass so I can draw good circles on the plates and at a given diameter/distance. Figure I can get 100 targets at the price I'm paying for 15.
    minimalbrat likes this.

You want to really focus your aim: This makes you concentrate.
    hostage target.jpg
    RoadRunner71 and Mike1956 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Sure, while learning improvement in hand-eye coordination and motor control, having the color-reactive targets and other such aids can help a bit. But when it comes right down to it, the point is being able to strike close to your target each and every time. For that, I've found that a simple sheet of butcher paper with hand-drawn circles can be sufficient, or any other similar, inexpensive method (ie, cheap paper plates). After all, no predator's going to be wearing a bulls-eye on his clothing, when things blow sideways.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    El Cheapo paper plates with a Post-it note in the color of your choice will do the job. Shoot the Post-it up, slap on a new one.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I also make my own targets. Little black dots on a paper plate for aiming small and missing small, clays set out in the berm for quick shooting/target acquisition, and silhouettes drawn on an old cardboard box that is stapled to a post for drawing & shooting.

We've also trained my wife to save anything that might be fun to shoot. She recently donated an old frying pan that quickly got turned into a deformed piece of swiss cheese.

I somtime makes my targets out of cardboard

I love me some shoot-n-c targets. They're more expensive, and when I hit the indoor handgun range I am less concerned with using them. When I shoot rifles at 50 and 100 yards outdoors, the holes in the shot-n-c targets are a lot easier to pick up, so I try to use them every time there.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini View Post
    I somtime makes my targets out of cardboard
    A cardboard box is the most effective target known to man. Buy one large cardboard box at Walmart for $1.74 and you have a stand and target all in one. Occasionally just staple up more paper or plates and your good to go.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links