Buying locally?

Buying locally?

This is a discussion on Buying locally? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not new here, I just troll and read alot. 1st time posting. So here it goes. When buying locally, what are the proper procedures ...

Thread: Buying locally?

Buying locally?

I'm not new here, I just troll and read alot. 1st time posting. So here it goes.

When buying locally, what are the proper procedures on handling the weapon in question?
    Is it ok to dry fire it?
    I'm going to rack the slide a few times. It's posted as new in box(NIB).
    Gimme the run down guys. Thanks in advance.

I think asking to dry fire is good form... If you must rack the slide (to feel trigger reset on a striker fired gun) you should ease the slide forward to battery as to not cause slide, rail and extractor wear inho ymmv.

I'm gonna rack the slide to make sure it's unloaded. I don't ask to do that. If I want to go as far as dry firing, I'll ask first. And don't sweep everyone in the room with it, it's just bad form. And unnerving for those swept. I pick a spot behind the counter to aim at. I like to see how it points and how the sites look.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Always follow the basic safety rules, treat the gun like you would a prized possession, and ask before dry firing, disassembling (if used or something is in question), or trying the gun out in a holster.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by Tatfreak View Post
    When buying locally, what are the proper procedures on handling the weapon in question?
    Is it ok to dry fire it?
    My thoughts ...

With someone else's firearm, it's always good (and common courtesy) to ASK prior to things. After all, it's theirs ... not yours.

Handling safety comes first, of course, and nailing it all goes a long way toward softening folks to subsequent questions, such as wanting to do a basic field strip to see how things are built, doing a dry-fire. One can always dry-fire with a Snap Cap round, to guard against the risk. Either way, it's worth asking, to give them the option of saying "no" if they'd prefer you didn't do so. A Snap Cap can alleviate their fears, if they have them.

With commonly-available guns, I've frequently just found a rental range that doesn't mind my doing a bit of stripping and cleaning on the range, after I've shot with it. Win/win, in that (a) I get much more intimate with the weapon in question and (b) the range gets a free cleaning/lube out of the deal. Can smooth the road for a future purchase, too (ie, discount, special order).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I think asking to dry fire is good form... If you must rack the slide (to feel trigger reset on a striker fired gun) you should ease the slide forward to battery as to not cause slide, rail and extractor wear inho ymmv.
    Slide racks are a normal part of a function check, and emulate the function of the pistol each time it is fired.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

First thing I do with a gun is drop the magazine and rack the slide on a semi or open the cylinder on a revolver. Once I have insured it is empty I'll look it over for wear and tear on the gun. On a 1911 perform a function check:

1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK

I will not dry fire the weapon without checking with the owner and getting their approval.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    When I am selling a gun I tell the buyer when I hand it to them to feel free to inspect the gun, dry fire, rack the slide, and do anything they feel they need to do- but if they do manage to damage it the question of whether they buy or not is answered.

When buying a gun I ask before I do anything with it. I do not own the gun and I'm not going to pretend that the owner has to be OK with me doing as I please with their property.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks fellas for the info. I picked up a Glock 27 4th Gen with TruGlo sights for $450. Never been fired and great condition. He let me do whatever I wanted to. Thanks for the help.

Glock 27 4th Gen with TruGlo sights for $450
    Nice price! Good luck, and stick around. This is a great place to learn, ask questions, and get excellent answers.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Nice price! Good luck, and stick around. This is a great place to learn, ask questions, and get excellent answers.
    I plan on it. Thanks

Sponsored Links