CSGV trying to bully Groupon and LivingSocial

This is a discussion on CSGV trying to bully Groupon and LivingSocial within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence sent me this email encouraging their members to contact the two groups. I figure we can do the same ...

Thread: CSGV trying to bully Groupon and LivingSocial

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

CSGV trying to bully Groupon and LivingSocial

The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence sent me this email encouraging their members to contact the two groups. I figure we can do the same in a nicer way, thanking them. The links lead directly to the groups and are not filtered through CSGV.

Groupon and LivingSocial Suddenly Trigger-Happy

Dear Alan,

By now, you might have noticed curious ads from two online businesses that offer daily discounts and deals: Groupon and LivingSocial. Specifically, I am talking about offers that seem to go directly against the notion of corporate responsibility by promoting a flippant attitude about carrying firearms in public.

One recent deal, from Groupon, offers discount pricing on a firearms training course that qualifies a person to obtain concealed handgun permits in Virginia, Utah, and Florida: three "Shall-Issue" states with some of the weakest screening/training regimes in the country. The ad even brags, "combined, these permits could allow reciprocity in up to 37 states." This Groupon is not about developing proficiency with firearms, but rather a "quickie" method to carry loaded, hidden handguns in neighborhoods across the country.

Another deal, from LivingSocial, also offers a concealed handgun training course and boasts, "Envious of how fictional characters like James Bond and Lara Croft are cool under fire and able to handle anything that comes up? You can become that way too, in real life, just by going to school—Badass School, that is." Apparently, to LivingSocial, being a "badass" with a gun is just one big, money-making joke. Law enforcement will tell you that carrying a firearm in public is no joking matter, however.

If you find these ads offensive and reckless, please contact Groupon and LivingSocial today to register your disapproval using the following email forms:

1) Contact Groupon https://www.groupon.com/support
    2) Contact LivingSocial http://help.livingsocial.com/contact_us

We understand that Groupon and LivingSocial are in the business of making money, but in America, families and communities are devastated by gun violence every single day. Profiting by encouraging poorly-trained "James Bonds" to walk our streets with loaded handguns is a terrible idea that we need not tolerate.

Best regards,
    Josh Horwitz
    Executive Director
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    My neighborhood shop advertises classes via Groupon all the time, although they don't use silly sales tactics like that LivingSocial one.

Here's the one they released today:

$69 for a Concealed-Carry-Weapons Course with Rental Gun and Ammo ($160 Value)
    With a focus on safe gun handling and understanding how the gun operates, instructors demonstrate shooting fundamentals.
    During the eight-hour NRA Basic Pistol class, students spend time both in the classroom and on the range to learn how to handle revolvers and semiautomatic pistols. Students receive NRA handbooks and brochures and take an examination at the end of the course, after which they receive a certificate if they pass.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    A friend of mine just signed up to take his CC class because he saw a groupon deal. I think it's great. Those sites/businesses aren't doing anything but advertising what is already out there.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I let em have it!!! Thank you's and keep it up's all around.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I'm just waiting for some great deals on more advanced training. I don't check groupon often, but my wife does, and she knows to keep me informed of anything interesting. I am really happy Groupon is not discriminating against businesses, and not at all surprised that CSGV is whining about it. I think I will send some support emails tonight.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    As an aside, be careful with Groupon. There's nothing wrong with the company itself, but it's an ideal platform for scammers. A high-pressure sale with a short time limit to participate and limited description makes me dubious. I followed up on a phone # contact for horse-back riding and could not find an actual organization that was backing the deal. I also found a scam balloon-ride company (at Biltmore - watch out for them) that was operating through Groupon as well. I sic'ed Mrs. Whec on them to get us a refund, but a mere mortal would have eventually given up pursuing them and lost their money.

I just wrote to both Groupon and LivingSocial thanking them for such offerings. The CSGV can suck it.

Email response from groupon:

Hey Jon,

Thank you so much for the feedback! We appreciate feedback in all forms, but it's all the more gratifying when it's positive.

You've made my day, and we're so happy to have a customer like you. Thanks for your continued support!

Take care,

Meaghan S Groupon Customer Support

FYI I thanked them for supporting shooting as a sport and constitutional right with their offerings.

@wheck. I've heard the same. Only ones I've used from them are places I already frequent, seems to have kept me out of trouble.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

If I sign up for the Lara Croft course do they provide the "ponytail"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just saw a tv commercial for Deal Chicken advertising a deal on a conceal carry course. During the commerical break on the local Sunday morning news cast in Denver. Pretty cool.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I sent feedback to both. About this time last year, Living Social had a discount coupon for a CC class from the range that I frequent. In response they had over 1000 people take the class and submit concealed carry applications. It was so many that they had to move to a larger training facility to accommodate them all. They even had so many that they actually received a phone call from the sheriff to complain that it was too many.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If I sign up for the Lara Croft course do they provide the "ponytail"
    No ponytail included. However if you finish in the top 20% of the class you get a frilly pink tutu to wear for your class photo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links