Value of Marlin Model 336

This is a discussion on Value of Marlin Model 336 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend tipped me today about an estate sale nearby, so I visited the place today. Wow! I felt like I was at a private ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BkCo1

Thread: Value of Marlin Model 336

Value of Marlin Model 336

A friend tipped me today about an estate sale nearby, so I visited the place today. Wow! I felt like I was at a private gun show---the place was loaded with handguns and rifles. Most all were top end models like Colt 1911's. I looked at a lever action 30-06 Marlin model 336 with a Redfield scope. The tag on the gun was $450, but the seller said he'd take $375. There was a small chip in the stock, but the price seemed good to me. However, I know almost nothing about rifles, and the prices on many of the handguns seemed rather high. For example, many common handguns such as used LCR's or Glock 19's were listed at prices 50 to $75 higher than they would bring new from a gun store. That, of course, caused me to doubt the deal on the rifle.
    Can anyone help me out here? Is there anything wrong with that rifle which would cause such a seemingly low price? All the guns seemed well-maintained and cared for.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

What caliber? What vintage? Was the estate the original purchaser (meaning: is the history known)? Is it a special model?

Some thoughts ...

New-in-box Marlin 336's can be had for about that price now and then, generally a tad higher. Special vintages, models, calibers can bump the price. I don't have my gun prices book handy, otherwise I'd check. A quick glance at GunBroker recent sales show this.

Sounds like a fair price, with some potential to be a good value if it's a special vintage/caliber.

Check for standard use indicators of condition: bolt condition; barrel/chamber condition; mechanical operation; evidence of after-market tweaking (particularly if a special vintage). About the only other nitzy thing to check would be headspace, but if the history's known and it hasn't been fired much it's unlikely to be off.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I did a little more research myself. I can find no evidence that Marlin makes or ever made a lever action rifle in 30-06. So either the model number is wrong or the caliber is wrong. I'm trusting this guy less and less.

$450 is about what I paid for a new 336 in stainless...

From Massad Ayoob:

Marlin 336: The other classic backwoods home deer rifle by Massad Ayoob
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't forget rechambering/rebarrelling. Examples: 336/.358WIN; 336/.308ME.

EDIT: .30-06? As the 336 has a tube magazine, then there's the risk of any sharp-tipped cartridge firing off primers unless it's a soft/flexi-tipped cartridge ie the Hornady LeveRevolution (which Hornady doesn't list in .30-06), or round/flat nose. Uncertain what the laundry list of rechambered calibers would be, in the lever-actions. Something to consider, in your eval.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It is probably a 30-30 caliber or a .35 Remington. It should be marked on the barrel. I am not sure but I think it also came in .32 caliber in the earlier models
    oneshot and ccw9mm like this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    I have one bought in 1978,and W/O my scope on it, I would venture to guess a private sale would bring around $225-300.
    Jays Sporting goods in Northern MI. has probably 25-50 of them on any given day, and that is a minimum of what they would ask.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I bought a new one the other day for $350 on sale. It has a birch stock. As others have said it may be unique in ways, walnut stock, .35 Remington etc. Some research would prob help, but it doesn't seem outrageously plriced to my very limited experience.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Skidboot, here's a web page that lists many of the 336 specials and calibers over the years: US Lever-Action Rifles -- Marlin. Note that .30-06 is listed, for a Marlin 336 Octagon.

Quote Originally Posted by From the website
    The Model 336 Octagon was introduced in 1973 as a limited-issue version, and built only for a year. This version has a 23-inch octagonal barrel with a full-length tubular magazine, a straight-wrist stock with a hard rubber buttplate, a squared lever loop, and a gold-bead front sight.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Skidboot, here's a web page that lists many of the 336 specials and calibers over the years: US Lever-Action Rifles -- Marlin. Note that .30-06 is listed, for a Marlin 336 Octagon.
    May have been built for only a year when the shooter got more than one shot with each pull of the trigger IN ATFE lingo "Machinegun" in operator lingo the damn thing blew up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Very interesting; it's definitely not the octagon as the barrel on this one was round. Didn't have the hard rubber buttplate either. Could be the seller just made an honest mistake in listing the caliber as I don't see any particular advantage in listing it as 30-06 if it's really 30-30. I'm going to return either tomorrow or Sunday just to see if anything has happened to the prices. I'm as curious about this estate sale process as anything. Unlike a typical arm's length transaction, the seller (actually the seller's agent) has nothing tied up in these guns and no cost to recover. I think in most cases it's just a matter of the widow wanting the things gone. So theoretically, good bargains should abound. But I've been wrong before... .

I occasionally attend these type of sales/auctions and as long as there isn't many other "gun people" in the crowd, you can certainly make out quite well. However, here in SC, its almost impossible that there wont be a bunch of gun people there looking for the same good deals :D

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I occasionally attend these type of sales/auctions and as long as there isn't many other "gun people" in the crowd, you can certainly make out quite well. However, here in SC, its almost impossible that there wont be a bunch of gun people there looking for the same good deals :D

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    I will let you know how it goes. Yesterday I was the ONLY gun person there. Everyone else was of the sort looking for doilies or towels or who came just to sample the crumpets.

Links