Take a mule hunting!

Take a mule hunting!

This is a discussion on Take a mule hunting! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was posted on a local WA site by ARTT1 and I thought I would share. I thinks it pretty cool. Please see his thread ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take a mule hunting!

VIP Member

Take a mule hunting!

This was posted on a local WA site by ARTT1 and I thought I would share. I thinks it pretty cool. Please see his thread below from Seattle Guns.

A friend sent me this and I wanted to share, Enjoy!

NEVER take a horse when a mule is available...

A couple from Montana were out riding on the range, he with his rifle and she (fortunately) with her camera. Their dogs always followed Them, but on this occasion a Mountain Lion decided that he wanted to stalk the dogs (you'll see the dogs in the background watching). Very, very bad decision.

The hunter got off the mule with his rifle and decided to shoot in theair to scare away the lion, but before he could get off a shot the lion charged in and decided he wanted a piece of those dogs. With that, the mule took off and decided he wanted a piece of that lion. That's when all hell broke loose for the lion.

As the lion approached the dogs, the mule snatched him up by the tail and started whirling him around. Banging its head on the ground on every pass.Then he dropped it, stomped on it and held it to the ground by the throat.

The mule then got down on his knees and bit the thing all over a couple of dozen times to make sure it was dead, then whipped it into the air again, walked back over to the couple (that were stunned in silence) and stood there ready to continue his ride as if nothing had just happened.

Fortunately, even though the hunter didn't get off a shot, his wife got off these four pictures.

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

"Bad ass." Absolutely! Good mule. A bucket full of oats and a fresh bed of straw, tonight.

Pretty much puts the "sheep/sheepdog" debate in perspective, eh?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Wow. Just wow.
    That's pretty cool.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I am really impressed. I have known people who would rather have a mule than a horse....now I know why.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

The dogs didn't want "any of that " .... LOL

some days, I feel like the mountain lion, nothing goes right.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Donkeys and mules don't particularly like canines, although they can become accustomed to them. Apparently they don't like cats either.

Never met a mule I didn't like. But horses, they can kiss my....mule.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    My Grandfather had two Blue mules, although they may be cantankerous at times mules are some of the smartest animals you can ever work with. That is why they are used on the Grand Canyon trails, where a horse may stumble and fall a mule will just walk around the problem.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Too bad there wasn't a video,it woulda went viral with everybody watching it several times
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    The mule did a great job. I'm also impressed with the lady who recognized a potential photo opportunity before it ended.

Although not a mule, I saw a donkey once, that for whatever reason, decided to attack a cow. The donkey went nuts and was obsessed with being vicious. The cow waded out in a pond to try and escape. Unfazed, the smaller donkey followed the cow into the water to continue the fight and would have likely drowned the cow. The owner saw it happening too, and from a distance fired several rounds of squirrel shot at the donkey. That broke it up, and 20 years later the donkey peacefully still lives around here with no other instance like that? Weird.

That second picture above of the mule kneeling on the lion? I know that feeling of being pinned down by those knees. Several years ago I had a mad mama cow butt me from behind and tossed/tumbled me about 20 feet. The next thing I remembered was laying face up, on the ground, and that cow was there kneeling on me exactly the same way as the mule in the #2 picture. The cow wasn't biting me, but was about to start head butting me while I was down. I held on to her nose as a means of some defense until my partner ran up on her, which scared her away.

Livestock can sometimes do some amazing things.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Wow! That is some Mule!!

Distinguished Member
    Mules are great at spotting predators and working on them. Yeah, sometimes dogs seem to fit the bill so the dogs need to get wise quickly. This surprises me...a big cat and it wasnt in the pasture or crowding the mules food source...... But when a mule decides on murder, they usually get serious.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    I am glad you guys enjoy this as much as I did. It's amazing how we underestimate people and animals sometimes. When I lived in Alaska I once saw a mule kick a dog that was badgering it. The dog flew about 15 yards and was totally crushed from the kick. I was fly fishing these small lakes when I saw it and I had to laugh because about ten minutes prior I was telling myself that I wish someone would shut that dog up! haha

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Old pictures from 2004 . Word is the cat had been shot and the dogs had held it at bay and it was shot but the mule just had a chance to have his way with it, Mule also does not like cats.

Around here most guys that have cattle have dogs and ot donkeys that hang near the cattle for protection.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Old pictures from 2004 . Word is the cat had been shot and the dogs had held it at bay and it was shot but the mule just had a chance to have his way with it, Mule also does not like cats.

Around here most guys that have cattle have dogs and ot donkeys that hang near the cattle for protection.
    Not denying your story but is does not make sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links