Looking to buy a .22 pistol

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a .22 pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are a lot of good choices out there, but to me, there is nothing like the feel and balance of a bull barrel Ruger ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking to buy a .22 pistol

There are a lot of good choices out there, but to me, there is nothing like the feel and balance of a bull barrel Ruger Mk II or III. I've had my Mk II Government Target since 1987, and I love it. The other guns that are close to it is the Browning Buckmark and some of the old High Standard target autos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Both the Ruger Mk III and the Buckmark (Standard) have done very well for me. Unless you intend to train with a holster, the similarity to a "real" gun is over rated. To me, the value of a rimfire (beyond cheap fun) is in working on the basics of sight alignment and trigger control, without the interference of serious recoil.

Oh, and the Ruger disassembly/re-assembly is not something to be feared, provided you have two opposable thumbs and the intelligence of a chimpanzee. :)
    gasmitty likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

if you're looking for a defensive trainer, Ruger has pretty short barreled 22/45 and don't forget the Phoenix HP22A for only $140.

S&w m&p22 ftw! (imho)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I have both. For just plinking and fun, the SR22 can't be beat. For dead on target shooting, the Mark III is the answer.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    If you happen to carry or use any type of 1911 for self-defense, buy a 22 LR conversion kit for the 1911, you simply slide off the .45 slide/barrel assembly and slide on the 22 LR slide/barrel assembly and you have a 22 LR with the exact same mechanics and required muscle memory as your SD 1911.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Both the Ruger Mk III and the Buckmark (Standard) have done very well for me. Unless you intend to train with a holster, the similarity to a "real" gun is over rated. To me, the value of a rimfire (beyond cheap fun) is in working on the basics of sight alignment and trigger control, without the interference of serious recoil.

Oh, and the Ruger disassembly/re-assembly is not something to be feared, provided you have two opposable thumbs and the intelligence of a chimpanzee. :)
    Ok, dumb question followup. I'm not quite sure how using the Mark III to practice sight alignment would help when it seems(at least form pictures and a comparison of lengths) the sights are farther apart than on "real" handguns, especially on a compact like the SR9c or similar. Wouldn't you want to practice with something where the sights are a better representation of what you'll actually use?

I love my Browning Buckmark. I had a micro and now have a longer barrel version. Sweet shooting pistols.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser419 View Post
    Ok, dumb question followup. I'm not quite sure how using the Mark III to practice sight alignment would help when it seems(at least form pictures and a comparison of lengths) the sights are farther apart than on "real" handguns, especially on a compact like the SR9c or similar. Wouldn't you want to practice with something where the sights are a better representation of what you'll actually use?
    Sight alignment and trigger control is a software issue (mostly), the hardware, provided they are at least similar (in this case, post & notch), is less important. You are still trying to keep the sights aligned and steady, while smoothly applying steadily increasing pressue on the trigger until the "surprise" break. This is similar to what you do while dry-firing, with the added benefit in that holes in a target don't lie about whether you did everything perfectly.
    sensei2 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Browning's are indeed sweet pistols and I'd like to own one some day, but they are at the high end of the price scale.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Browning's are indeed sweet pistols and I'd like to own one some day, but they are at the high end of the price scale.
    I think the Buckmark Camper is cheaper than any Mark III. I think it's priced like the 22/45's. I like the basic iron front sight on the Camper better than the fiber optic on the higher priced versions anyway.

Distinguished Member
    For me its a 22lr conv kit, got one for my CZ and will have one for my glock in the near future. I don't think you can beat that for practice/training with your carry gun.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

ruger mark ii is the way to go. the ruger mark i and mark iii are also good guns. the buckmark is all so a fine gun. there is many good 22lr pistols out there now.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I bought the new Walther P22Q. It's ok. It has it's issue like some many other guns but the trigger seems a little tight and it's a little finicky on the ammo type. Other than that I think it shoots awesome.

Thanks to everyone for responding. You all gave me a lot to think about, so I think I'll hold off a bit, especially since i won't be able to shoot for a few weeks at least soon due to some ear surgery.

Leaning towards the SR22 since I don't see myself buying many 1911-type guns, so the ergonomics would be more similar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links