Looking to buy a .22 pistol

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a .22 pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking of getting a .22 pistol for practice. Looked at the SR22 since it looks more like a normal pistol than say a Mark ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking to buy a .22 pistol

Looking to buy a .22 pistol

I'm thinking of getting a .22 pistol for practice. Looked at the SR22 since it looks more like a normal pistol than say a Mark III, but it seems to be about 50/50 good/bad. Any recommendations? I'd prefer it to look more like a normal handgun of today than from WWII. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

If "practice" to you means operating a gun that's close to a defensive piece, then the SR22 or the similar Walther P22 are just the ticket.

But if "practice" means refining sight alignment and trigger squeeze, then I vote strongly in favor of the Ruger Mark (preferring a Mk II to the III, if you can find a good used one).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Go with the Ruger.
    rigel42 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Or, if you use a real handgun, you can get a 1911 in .22.

Seriously, though, the Walther P22 is an awesome little gun; I would give that my vote any day.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

S&w m&p 22?
    BugDude likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If "practice" to you means operating a gun that's close to a defensive piece, then the SR22 or the similar Walther P22 are just the ticket.

But if "practice" means refining sight alignment and trigger squeeze, then I vote strongly in favor of the Ruger Mark (preferring a Mk II to the III, if you can find a good used one).
    I guess I hadn't really thought about it that way. Looks like I'll have to think some more first.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Ruger.

I went through a Sig, a S&W, and an old H&R that I did keep but rarely shoot before I got to the Ruger. The Ruger performed so flawlessly that I went and bought a second one, both are the Mark III 22/45. My brother in law has a Mark II, I personally prefer the grip angle of the 22/45, as it is very close to the same look and feel as a 1911.

I would recommend the Ruger to anyone.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

The Ruger SR22 is a fun little gun to shoot at the range.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Of the few I've shot, my top 3 favs in order are- bersa thunder 22, m&P 22 and beretta bobcat. Other notables were ruger sr22 and ruger mark II.

i like the Browning Buckmarks. standard size if you want more of a target-type gun, or the Micro (shorter barrel), if you want more of a rimfire substitute for your SD gun.

i like the Ruger Mk guns, but the dis-assembly/reassembly process is a real pain!!!
    SmokinFool likes this.

If I liked handguns and wanted a .22 handgun, I'd get the cute new Ruger.

That thing looks awesome. Maybe someday. :)

You won't go wrong with a Ruger rimfire. I love my MKIII, 10/22 and SP101 22.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    i like the Browning Buckmarks. standard size if you want more of a target-type gun, or the Micro (shorter barrel), if you want more of a rimfire substitute for your SD gun.

i like the Ruger Mk guns, but the dis-assembly/reassembly process is a real pain!!!
    I second the idea of taking a look at the Buckmark. It's rugged, accurate and the grip angle is more like that of the 1911, which is more comfortable for me than the grip angle of the Ruger. Of course, you could go with the Ruger 22/45 but it's a bear to break down, at least it was for me.

Ruger SR22. Bought mine about two weeks ago, 300 round through it. one failure to fire. no failures to eject or feed. Unbelievable accurate. Just a joy.
    Added advantage, I'm sure my wife will love it for it's lower noise and recoil.

Ok, so I'm mechanically inclined, but please, folks - putting a Ruger Mark back together is not like building a Swiss watch!

First off, you don't need to tear it down more often than every brick or two. An old toothbrush on the bolt face and maybe one pass with a Bore Snake is plenty! And when it's time for the field stripping, if you can't follow the instructions in the manual, there are a number of YouTube videos to show you how. It isn't rocket science, and certainly it's not a reason to not consider a really good gun.
    RoadRunner71 and bigmacque like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links