Had to draw my gun on a critter this weekend...

This is a discussion on Had to draw my gun on a critter this weekend... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah, big difference between a nuisance animal and Poncho, the killer porcupine. I'm sure the WA ground squirrels have me posted in the local squirrel ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Had to draw my gun on a critter this weekend...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, big difference between a nuisance animal and Poncho, the killer porcupine. I'm sure the WA ground squirrels have me posted in the local squirrel PO as a mass murderer.
    Spidey2011 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Porcupines are considered a delicacy in some countrys.

I would have had to try it.

And FWIW...I 'd have blasted the critter into the next world before I let my dog get tore up by quills that would have cost a fortune for the vet to remove.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Porcupines are considered a delicacy in some countrys.

I would have had to try it.

And FWIW...I 'd have blasted the critter into the next world before I let my dog get tore up by quills that would have cost a fortune for the vet to remove.
    I do agree with that. And, I mean no disrespect to SFury. My point is what the title conveyed in my mind on initial reading vs the content.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Eat a porky? (shudder) Tried it once because I was tired of rice and oatmeal. Maybe it's because of what it ate, but I spit out the first mouthful.

I got in trouble at the local park for lining all the squirrels up in order of height, they didn't like me critter sizing.
    ws76133 likes this.

Having had to deal with a dog chewing on a pocupine in the past, I would have shot the thing too. In fact, I've shot quite a few over the past couple of years. I usually prefer a .22 over a .44, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

For those saying he should have left it alone: It's a varmint. People kill varmints every day for less than this. I wouldn't exactly consider a porcupine an innocent little critter, either. They can do a lot of damage and be VERY annoying. I equate them to prairie dogs. They don't directly hurt me, but they do cause a lot of problems.

The title was misleading. I will admit to that.

I typically carry a trail gun that will deal with the dangers I may face. I change things up between my .357 and the .44 for variety. The number of times I've had to deal with any varmint/predator is twice now in 21 years of hunting. Both times were porcupines. Aside from a black bear sow with cubs Wisconsin is a pretty safe place.

As the Boy Scout motto says, be prepared.

OK so my Scout Master always told us....

Eat what you kill and kill what you eat, unless it's about to dine on you

On the subject of walking pin-cushions. Five of us were out deer hunting and it was just before dawn and I saw the outline of something large climbing up a tree about 55yrds away. As soon as dawn-broke I shot it. Everyone came running over to see what I was up to. It was a very larger 30lb porcupine. Yes it was a big sucker!

We took it back to the cabin and all took turns skinning it and as per our creed.... yes we ate it

It was like drinking a bottle of Pine-Sol!! Nastiest thing I ever tasted. What ever it was we shot, trapped, or clubbed we ate the meat and either sold the pelt to a furrier or mounted it, and we let nothing go to waste. If not we would let it be.

But that was us. You....personally........have to live with what you choose to do

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    OK so my Scout Master always told us....

Eat what you kill and kill what you eat, unless it's about to dine on you

On the subject of walking pin-cushions. Five of us were out deer hunting and it was just before dawn and I saw the outline of something large climbing up a tree about 55yrds away. As soon as dawn-broke I shot it. Everyone came running over to see what I was up to. It was a very larger 30lb porcupine. Yes it was a big sucker!

We took it back to the cabin and all took turns skinning it and as per our creed.... yes we ate it

It was like drinking a bottle of Pine-Sol!! Nastiest thing I ever tasted. What ever it was we shot, trapped, or clubbed we ate the meat and either sold the pelt to a furrier or mounted it, and we let nothing go to waste. If not we would let it be.

But that was us. You....personally........have to live with what you choose to do
    Sometimes you have to break that creed to keep a balance. Prairie dogs are a good example. Completely inedible, due to them carrying some kind of plague. Those suckers can ruin 20 acres in a hurry. I can go out and kill two dozen of them and it won't even make a dent in their population. It also just happens to be incredibly fun.

As far as porcupines go, they aren't quite as bad as prairie dogs. Still a nuisance though. I've had the displeasure of dealing with a dog that decided to chew on a porcupine, and I'll kill every porcupine I see on my property because of that experience. That poor dog had quills down his throat! Took the vets hours to get them all out. It's like when I kill a 'yote before it tries to eat my chickens. It hasn't done anything yet, but I know that it will if I leave it alone.

Sometimes you have to kill something for reasons other than eating it. Nothing wrong with that.

Non game animal...right? I don't see the issue. Kinda like shooting coyotes or crows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links