Had to draw my gun on a critter this weekend...

This is a discussion on Had to draw my gun on a critter this weekend... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Father and I were out in the woods scouting when we ran across a big old porcupine. We had my Father's dog with us. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Had to draw my gun on a critter this weekend...

My Father and I were out in the woods scouting when we ran across a big old porcupine. We had my Father's dog with us. He's a springer spaniel who's a good hunting dog.

The dog almost bit the porcupine. Obviously he's never seen one before. I don't know if any of you have ever had a dog bite a a porcupine before, but I have. Ugly doesn't do the situation justice. That was a hard lesson learned by my Father's 2nd golden retriever on the first hunt we had together 21 years ago... Thankfully we did not have a repeat performance.

When Rufus, the springer, got all excited we were able to catch up to him before anything got flushed which is not unusual, but his excitement level was still super high. There, we came across a porcupine on a fallen tree. He hopped off the tree when we got close and Rufus almost went right after him. Like a flushing dog is bred to do. We were able to call him off thankfully.

I drew my Ruger Super Blackhawk after I secured Rufus and dealt with porcupine. That porcupine will never chew on our cabin, nor will it tempt our dog to try a bite of quilled badness. A win win situation for everyone but the porcupine.

A good outcome in a prickly situation!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Super Blackhawk? You must have some tough porcupines in WI.
    atctimmy and thephanatik like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I had three choices.

A) My foot
    B) A stick
    C) The .44

Going over the options:

A) Getting that close to a live porcupine... No thanks...

B) Seems awfully cruel

C) Most efficient, safe, and ethical

They aren't that tough, we just didn't bring a shotgun along for birds because the population has been so low for a few years now. I'm curious as to which option others would pick.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Feet, walk away.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Feet, walk away.

Same here, walked up on one in the mountains he wasn’t interested in me and I was not interested in him so we both went our separate ways.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Feet, walk away.

Yup, unless it was causing lots of property damage or a major nuisance I let em be. And I have had a dog chomp into a porcupine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member
    Porcs are really calm, non-violent little animals. I have watched many of them from just few feet away. They just kept on chewing the tree bark and didn't seem to mind me being there. I have had dogs who tangled with them. Not good at all. Live and let live. God must have put them here for a purpose.

Regardless, I'm glad your pooch didn't get a face full of quills.

You need to return to the scene and extract the quills, and learn quillwork, which is becoming a lost art form. It is quite beautiful:

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Yeah, if it's not to be eaten, and not causing any danger, what was the point of shooting it? Sorry, no cookie.

If you " had to draw on a critter" like a porcupine, I'd question your judgement in a real situational tense moment.
    Hoganbeg and C hawk Glock like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

We've had porcupine chew on our cabin, so we tend to be proactive with their removal. They can do a lot of damage in a short time. Everyones' experiences with critters vary. The right choice was made for the issues my family has faced. I don't regret doing what I did.

The only tense moment was corraling the dog. It was simply drawing the firearm and taking a controlled shot after that.

Regardless, I'm glad your pooch didn't get a face full of quills.

You need to return to the scene and extract the quills, and learn quillwork, which is becoming a lost art form. It is quite beautiful
    Although, quillwork seems like an interesting choice. I'm not certain I'd have the patience for it. I've never been the artsy sort of person. I can't focus on doing that type of work for very long. Never have been able to.

Still, it's something to consider in the future to gather for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    We've had porcupine chew on our cabin, so we tend to be proactive with their removal. They can do a lot of damage in a short time. Everyones' experiences with critters vary. The right choice was made for the issues my family has faced. I don't regret doing what I did.

The only tense moment was corraling the dog. It was simply drawing the firearm and taking a controlled shot after that.

Although, quillwork seems like an interesting choice. I'm not certain I'd have the patience for it. I've never been the artsy sort of person. I can't focus on doing that type of work for very long. Never have been able to.

Still, it's something to consider in the future to gather for someone else.

I had a porcupine eating my deck one night many years ago... called my father at 2am and told him what was going on. i went outside with flashlight and shotgun to see what was making the noise when i saw the porcupine. I ended up squirting it with the hose at my fathers request... it scurried away at 2 mph... i dont blame you for blasting it though... they do cause a lot of damage in short time. The only animals around NYS that will tackle a porcupine is a fisher... just a little fyi.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yeah, if it's not to be eaten, and not causing any danger, what was the point of shooting it? Sorry, no cookie.

If you " had to draw on a critter" like a porcupine, I'd question your judgement in a real situational tense moment.
    Don't think I would go quite that far. He killed an animal that had damaged his cabin and posed a threat to his dog. No big deal there are plenty of porcupine. Don't think that brings his judgement into question since he didn't actually draw on it, but rather picked his dog up and dispatched the animal. Not even close to a live or death decision.....except for the porcupine.
    I probably would have just walked away, but had it been in Florida and was a hog or coyote I would have killed it too.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Ya, I dont know if you can compare this situation with a live violent/deadly encounter. sounds like he was out scouting a future hunting spot. Then came across a varmit that could possibly cause harm to his dog. Fine by me, i doub't ANYONE on this forum is qualified to Question anyone's judgement about a Tense moment
    pittypat21 likes this.

This is worse than politics.

For the record, it was not I who dramatized the occurrence, but the OP, with the statement " I had to draw on a critter".
    This statement invokes images of being backed into a corner by a rabid or hungary animal and needing to defend oneself.
    If a damn porcupine encounter provokes that type of drama, then what would the title have been in a bonafide physical threat to his life?

And obviously from the thread, it seems they were out in the woods away from home. You don't flush birds or find them in the yard. So how is it certain it was this porcupine chewing on the house?

I've got no problem with killing an animal, hell, I've sent thousands to that great pastureland in the sky, but, it was the dramatization of the story I found a little off.

So, I will still stand by my original position.
    OldVet and msgt/ret like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links