Gun range suicide

This is a discussion on Gun range suicide within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a shame, a very sad thing to read about. I've shot in that range before, a couple of times, and the people tha ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Gun range suicide

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    This is a shame, a very sad thing to read about. I've shot in that range before, a couple of times, and the people tha trun are good people.

As OldVet pointed out earlier in the thread, it's difficult to stop a determined suicide. Renting guns, ranges ... they are just the means the individual chooses, if they are really determined to do this they will get it done.

Many prayers for the family.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

2. Remove Ads

no background check before renting a gun....means the gun may be rented to a guy who just got out of prison for rape, manslaughter, or child-molestation.

yeah, perhaps gun rental should end.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I'm just glad the bonehead didn't hit anyone else on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    very horrible....and very scary.

indeed puts gun rental at ranges at a WHOLE new perspective.

we all to through a background check before we get to own a gun, but a gun-rental requires no such check.

perhaps rentals should end.
    Do you have ANY numbers that would back up your assertion that background checks would indentify people that want to comitt suicide? How many would they have prevented? Numbers please.
    BTW: Going to a gun range is a planned act. It is not an impromput act. Someone that is planning on this will find other means.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    I'm just glad the bonehead didn't hit anyone else on the range.
    way to be sympathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    no background check before renting a gun....means the gun may be rented to a guy who just got out of prison for rape, manslaughter, or child-molestation.

yeah, perhaps gun rental should end.
    No, perhaps people need to be allowed to do with their property whatever they see fit, without any do-gooder meddling. People rent guns all the time, and very rarely does anything bad happen. The mentality on display with a post like this is about as anti-freedom as I can imagine. You want background checks on people who rent guns? Open your own store, make people sign the consent form to do a check, then run whatever you think will make everyone "safe" before renting them a gun. Don't sit there and try to dictate to others how they will or will not engage in commerce.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Deleted by svgheartland
    Last edited by svgheartland; October 15th, 2012 at 07:01 AM.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    No, perhaps people need to be allowed to do with their property whatever they see fit, without any do-gooder meddling. People rent guns all the time, and very rarely does anything bad happen. The mentality on display with a post like this is about as anti-freedom as I can imagine. You want background checks on people who rent guns? Open your own store, make people sign the consent form to do a check, then run whatever you think will make everyone "safe" before renting them a gun. Don't sit there and try to dictate to others how they will or will not engage in commerce.
    +1^^^

My sympathy goes out to any family and friends.
    Luvsunderdogs likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Bringing a gun to rent a gun wont work for me as I travel a lot. When I travel I like to check out the gun stores and ranges.

One time I went to a range to rent and shoot by myself, filled out all the paperwork, showed my CCw then they wanted a reference. So I listed my wife, then they called her. She had no idea who this person was or what they were talking about with all the questions about my mental state and all. Once she figured out that they were checking to make sure I was ok and not suicidal.

She said sure as long as he doesn't buy another gun.. Jokingly of course.

It takes a few to mess it up for everybody else.

Range here had two, then they all went to new policies......

If you want to rent ;
    * you had to have walked in with a gun in your possession.
    * Or, you have to come in with another person.

hasn't been any more, and don't know if it's due to the policy, or no one has wanted to.

I think it's one of the dumbest things I've heard of in regards to suicide.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by blastissimo View Post
    Bringing a gun to rent a gun wont work for me as I travel a lot. When I travel I like to check out the gun stores and ranges.

One time I went to a range to rent and shoot by myself, filled out all the paperwork, showed my CCw then they wanted a reference. So I listed my wife, then they called her. She had no idea who this person was or what they were talking about with all the questions about my mental state and all. Once she figured out that they were checking to make sure I was ok and not suicidal.

She said sure as long as he doesn't buy another gun.. Jokingly of course.

It takes a few to mess it up for everybody else.
    That's a pretty good way to go about the rental issue too.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    That's a pretty good way to go about the rental issue too.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    Read about them but never expected one locally.
    Why not?

Though trends vary from community to community, the influences are pervasive in contemporary culture. Suicides occur all over. The "tools" to assist are everywhere, as well ... from ranges to cliffs, from highways to streams (or pools), rope, and any number of hard/pointy tools that can do the job.

As OldVet points out, a determined person isn't likely to be deterred.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Why not?

Though trends vary from community to community, the influences are pervasive in contemporary culture. Suicides occur all over. The "tools" to assist are everywhere, as well ... from ranges to cliffs, from highways to streams (or pools), rope, and any number of hard/pointy tools that can do the job.

As OldVet points out, a determined person isn't likely to be deterred.
    Agreed. Nothing wrong with a range making rules to try and minimize it happening in their establishments though. I think Pythius' idea of not allowing anyone to rent guns is ridiculous...unless of course we also enact a ban on hardware stores selling six feet of rope or razor blades, etc., etc., etc.

We had a guy commit suicide at the gun range I go to. They changed the rules:

1) You have to walk in with 1 or more guns.

2) You need to have 1 or more of your friends with you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links