Gun range suicide - Page 3

Gun range suicide

This is a discussion on Gun range suicide within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thinking back I rented numerous handguns guns at the range of my choice prior to making a purchase. I regard this process as important, to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Gun range suicide

Thinking back I rented numerous handguns guns at the range of my choice prior to making a purchase. I regard this process as important, to me, in making an informed decision. I'd hate to see someone denied this step in their decision making process.

There is a local indoor shooting range, Bulleseye in Tacoma. They've had at least one suicide. I talked to one of the guys running it. Now they only rent guns to people who can bring their own gun in to show they have a firearm, have another person with them, or can show a valid CPL (concealed pistol license).

Wow! I live locally where this happened and had no idea this happened until I saw it here. Unreal. Prayers for sure to this family. I have always wondered however if something like this could or has ever happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    I am all about gun rights, but things like this make yo wonder I renting them is a good idea.
    Not having an activity or item available just b/c a handful of people out of 300 million use it for unintended purposes is just braindead.

dcl
    Seriously folks, does anyone really believe we can "legislate" these nuts out of their intent to do harm to themselves? One can commit suicide with a dinner fork. Should we ban table knives and forks and just go with spoons in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by dcl View Post
    Seriously folks, does anyone really believe we can "legislate" these nuts out of their intent to do harm to themselves? One can commit suicide with a dinner fork. Should we ban table knives and forks and just go with spoons in the future?
    Yes. Yes we should. And welcome aboard.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony617 View Post
    We had a guy commit suicide at the gun range I go to. They changed the rules:

1) You have to walk in with 1 or more guns.

2) You need to have 1 or more of your friends with you.
    This just makes sense. It is not denying anyone the ability to rent a gun. Of course just because you come alone and without a gun does not mean you are going to off yourself, but I would bet that most that do this are alone and did not bring a gun. I would think presenting a CCW would be acceptable as well since few are going to go through the effort of getting a CCW just to rent a gun and kill themselves. As far as first time buyers it seems like maybe the range could provide an instructor with the rental. This only makes sence as the gun is new to you and a sales person and instruct you in how the gun operates and all the features so the gun. You seldom take a car for a test drive anymore without a salesman along for the ride. Of course that COULD put the I structor at risk, but I would bet most would not go through with shooting themselves with someone else there with them. IMHO, people who kill themselves are cowards and having someone supervise them would probably keep them from doing it.
    Note I am not calling for prohibiting rentals. I don't care what someone does in their business, however, if I owned a range I would not rent guns at least without some safe gaurds. You can't rent a car without a DL and insurance and in most cases you can't rent a home without a background check of some type (credit, references), why should renting a gun be any different? The safe operation and firing of a gun requires a fair level of responsibility and I see no problem with some requirements that possibably weed out some folks that should not have a gun, specifically people with mental issues.
    I have been to this range many times and seldom see many people renting so I will also bet it is not a big income for them. It would be interesting to ask them if they feel that rentals are worth it now after spending tonight scrubbing brain matter off the walls.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Having 2 people rent the gun didn't stop the woman and son murder/suicide last year. What about people who are new to shooting and don't know any current shooters to go with? It's like the old joke about banks only lending money to people who don't need it. The examples of test drives, apts, etc are to protect the businesses. If a business wants to implement such requirements, fine; but as far as legislation is concerned, it's not a problem that needs to be addressed.

I'm late to this conversation, and consequently, I'm not sure if this idea has already been shared, but I've been to ranges where in order to rent a gun you have to either: 1) produce a firearm of your own, or 2) be accompanied by a friend.

This twin-headed policy seems to cover the bases when it comes to suicide on the range.

EDIT: Just read reply above... so this topic has obviously been breached.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Having 2 people rent the gun didn't stop the woman and son murder/suicide last year. What about people who are new to shooting and don't know any current shooters to go with? It's like the old joke about banks only lending money to people who don't need it. The examples of test drives, apts, etc are to protect the businesses. If a business wants to implement such requirements, fine; but as far as legislation is concerned, it's not a problem that needs to be addressed.
    I agree that it should not be something to try and legislate. There really isn't an easy answer, but whatever an individual business owner decides to do to try and eliminate or at least minimize these occurrences is up to them

Distinguished Member
    Stopping renting guns to keep people from killing themselves is as bad as trying to implement gun controls to keep people from going out and killing others. While it is something bad that happens, it is taking something that the high majority never do and telling them they can't do it because of a very, very limited number of people who misuse them.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Sad story. My father lives in North Fort and I just purchased my last gun from the Tactical Fire Arms Store 4 stores away. Crazy. Although I will admit the customer service at Fowler wasnt that great last time I shot there.

I hate Florida's, mostly SW Floridas crappy reporting. Why would someone that old shoot themselves? Im sure there has to be a motive.

it happen here in mass 2 times after that the shut down the range

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    no background check before renting a gun....means the gun may be rented to a guy who just got out of prison for rape, manslaughter, or child-molestation.

yeah, perhaps gun rental should end.
    Pythius... The last time I responded to one of your posts I got overly combative... I sincerely apologize for that. I feel very strongly about maintaining my currents rights and my blood pressure spikes when someone says I shouldn't be allowed to do something I do all the time. Sorry bro...
    Now let's see if we can discuss this a bit more adult than I was last time... I think one point that you may be missing is that this country is built on freedom from government oppression. That means that (for the most part) our individual freedoms are more important than what bad people occasionally do (all ready against the law).

In other words... Like other subjects we have discussed... A gun shop owner should be free to rent guns to anyone HE sees fit. Quite frankly gun rental suicide is pretty rare... As a matter of fact really rare... That doesn't constitute a new law further restricting what a gun shop owner can and can't do. Further I've never heard of a criminal renting a firearm and then walking out with it... That would be especially brazen as all gun shop owners and employees around here are armed. The criminal wouldn't get far in my opinion.

Happened very recently at a range I've been to quite a few times - I had actually intended to be at that range at the time it happened but had forgotten my range bag when I left in the morning. The person apparently rented 2 guns and used them both on himself in the range.
    After some research apparently the same range has had several other suicides.

I'm not sure what the solution is - some of the policies mentioned make sense (must bring in a gun or be with another person for example) but I don't know that it is possible to completely "solve" the issue.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links