Defensive Carry banner

Gun range suicide

6K views 46 replies 35 participants last post by  SmokinFool 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Sad for sure. We have a range that rented guns until they had two suicides. No more renting guns. I am sure glad I was not at the range when it happened. How terrible. :frown:

#3 ·
I am all about gun rights, but things like this make yo wonder I renting them is a good idea. Not doing so does not stop anyone from buying and shooting a gun and it is nice I suppose to be able to try before you buy (I have never rented a gun), it it seems that most if not all of these have to do with rented guns. I have read that some ranges require that you either have a gun of you're own with you or a friend with you to rent. Seems like a good idea.

#4 ·
I've rented guns, especially when trying to decide what my next purchase will be. It's great to rent first and see how it feels, how it shoots, etc. I bought my first gun without shooting one like it first and I hated to shoot it, a year later I sold it and that's when I rented a couple of the ones I was considering next. It will really make me angry if places stop renting guns because of the risk of suicide, seriously out of how many guns a place rents in a year results in suicide? The attached article hasn't said at this point if he used a rented one, although it can probably be assumed.

I am sorry for this guy's family and for anyone who was there to witness it.

#5 ·
You're not going to stop a determined suicide from happening. Hopefully they don't take anyone else with them.

Reactions: bigmacque
#6 ·
A real shame. There was a thread here a couple of weeks ago that someone started because he went to a range without his own gun, wanted to rent, was by himself and they wouldn't rent to him. It was mentioned that he likely fit a "profile" for just such a thing as this. Can certainly understand the shooting ranges stance now.

#8 ·
The worst I read/saw was the mom who killed her adult son then herself at a range with, IIRC,a rental gun, all on range surveillance cameras.

#9 ·
There is a cc video at a range where a woman took her son, rented 2 firearms, shot and killed her son while he was putting a few downrange then committed suicide. Why do people feel it is necessary to kill their children. Here is a clue for anybody contemplating such an act...no, your children do not need to be with the Lord yet, they will do just fine without you, and no, the world is a good enough place for them to live in. Please just let them live.

Reactions: Luvsunderdogs
#10 ·
There is CCTV at every station on this range so I am sure it s on tape.

You won't stop people no matter what you do, but I think if I owned a range I would not rent guns. You could say the same thing about cars I guess, but I don't recall hearing about someone going to Avis and driving off a cliff on purpose.

#13 ·
I like the idea of, in order to rent a gun, you must bring a gun. Kind of proves the fact that you're not renting for the sole purpose of suicide seeing as though many rent the gun in order to obtain a gun. Whereas if you already have a gun, the general consensus would be that you don't need to go to a range and rent a gun to commit suicide. You'll never prevent suicides as a whole, but I think by requiring a person who would like to rent a firearm, to bring a firearm, THAT would drastically reduce gun range suicides.

Makes it hard for a genuine first time gun purchaser to try a gun before they buy. However, if you don't own a gun, you at least know somebody who does. And if they don't, then THAT person knows somebody who does.

#14 ·
In 2007 (the latest year for which we have national statistics), there were 34,598 suicides in the U.S. (94.8 suicides per day; 1 suicide every 15.2 minutes). This translates to an annual suicide rate of 11.5 per 100,000
- http://www.suicidology.org/c/document_library/get_file?folderId=232&name=DLFE-244.pdf

Why is it that we only hear about this one? Perhaps it is politically motivated. It seems a subliminal message to blame guns for the suicide IMO... I instinctively feel a need to go on the defensive to defend gun rights and that is exactly what this story is about. Putting gun proponents on the defensive

#19 ·
Do you have ANY numbers that would back up your assertion that background checks would indentify people that want to comitt suicide? How many would they have prevented? Numbers please.
BTW: Going to a gun range is a planned act. It is not an impromput act. Someone that is planning on this will find other means.

#16 ·
This is a shame, a very sad thing to read about. I've shot in that range before, a couple of times, and the people tha trun are good people.

As OldVet pointed out earlier in the thread, it's difficult to stop a determined suicide. Renting guns, ranges ... they are just the means the individual chooses, if they are really determined to do this they will get it done.

Many prayers for the family.

#21 ·
No, perhaps people need to be allowed to do with their property whatever they see fit, without any do-gooder meddling. People rent guns all the time, and very rarely does anything bad happen. The mentality on display with a post like this is about as anti-freedom as I can imagine. You want background checks on people who rent guns? Open your own store, make people sign the consent form to do a check, then run whatever you think will make everyone "safe" before renting them a gun. Don't sit there and try to dictate to others how they will or will not engage in commerce.

#24 ·
Bringing a gun to rent a gun wont work for me as I travel a lot. When I travel I like to check out the gun stores and ranges.

One time I went to a range to rent and shoot by myself, filled out all the paperwork, showed my CCw then they wanted a reference. So I listed my wife, then they called her. She had no idea who this person was or what they were talking about with all the questions about my mental state and all. Once she figured out that they were checking to make sure I was ok and not suicidal.

She said sure as long as he doesn't buy another gun.. Jokingly of course.

It takes a few to mess it up for everybody else.

#25 ·
Range here had two, then they all went to new policies......

If you want to rent ;
* you had to have walked in with a gun in your possession.
* Or, you have to come in with another person.

hasn't been any more, and don't know if it's due to the policy, or no one has wanted to.

I think it's one of the dumbest things I've heard of in regards to suicide.

#28 ·
Read about them but never expected one locally.
Why not?

Though trends vary from community to community, the influences are pervasive in contemporary culture. Suicides occur all over. The "tools" to assist are everywhere, as well ... from ranges to cliffs, from highways to streams (or pools), rope, and any number of hard/pointy tools that can do the job.

As OldVet points out, a determined person isn't likely to be deterred.

#29 ·
Agreed. Nothing wrong with a range making rules to try and minimize it happening in their establishments though. I think Pythius' idea of not allowing anyone to rent guns is ridiculous...unless of course we also enact a ban on hardware stores selling six feet of rope or razor blades, etc., etc., etc.

#37 ·
This just makes sense. It is not denying anyone the ability to rent a gun. Of course just because you come alone and without a gun does not mean you are going to off yourself, but I would bet that most that do this are alone and did not bring a gun. I would think presenting a CCW would be acceptable as well since few are going to go through the effort of getting a CCW just to rent a gun and kill themselves. As far as first time buyers it seems like maybe the range could provide an instructor with the rental. This only makes sence as the gun is new to you and a sales person and instruct you in how the gun operates and all the features so the gun. You seldom take a car for a test drive anymore without a salesman along for the ride. Of course that COULD put the I structor at risk, but I would bet most would not go through with shooting themselves with someone else there with them. IMHO, people who kill themselves are cowards and having someone supervise them would probably keep them from doing it.
Note I am not calling for prohibiting rentals. I don't care what someone does in their business, however, if I owned a range I would not rent guns at least without some safe gaurds. You can't rent a car without a DL and insurance and in most cases you can't rent a home without a background check of some type (credit, references), why should renting a gun be any different? The safe operation and firing of a gun requires a fair level of responsibility and I see no problem with some requirements that possibably weed out some folks that should not have a gun, specifically people with mental issues.
I have been to this range many times and seldom see many people renting so I will also bet it is not a big income for them. It would be interesting to ask them if they feel that rentals are worth it now after spending tonight scrubbing brain matter off the walls.

#31 ·
Thinking back I rented numerous handguns guns at the range of my choice prior to making a purchase. I regard this process as important, to me, in making an informed decision. I'd hate to see someone denied this step in their decision making process.

#32 ·
There is a local indoor shooting range, Bulleseye in Tacoma. They've had at least one suicide. I talked to one of the guys running it. Now they only rent guns to people who can bring their own gun in to show they have a firearm, have another person with them, or can show a valid CPL (concealed pistol license).

#38 ·
Having 2 people rent the gun didn't stop the woman and son murder/suicide last year. What about people who are new to shooting and don't know any current shooters to go with? It's like the old joke about banks only lending money to people who don't need it. The examples of test drives, apts, etc are to protect the businesses. If a business wants to implement such requirements, fine; but as far as legislation is concerned, it's not a problem that needs to be addressed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.