Gun range suicide

This is a discussion on Gun range suicide within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Read about them but never expected one locally. Person commits suicide at Fort Myers gun range | The News-Press | news-press.com It will be interesting ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Gun range suicide

Gun range suicide

Read about them but never expected one locally.

Person commits suicide at Fort Myers gun range | The News-Press | news-press.com

It will be interesting as this range does rent guns. Prayers for the family.

Mods if this should be some place else please feel free to move
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

2. Remove Ads

Sad for sure. We have a range that rented guns until they had two suicides. No more renting guns. I am sure glad I was not at the range when it happened. How terrible.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

I am all about gun rights, but things like this make yo wonder I renting them is a good idea. Not doing so does not stop anyone from buying and shooting a gun and it is nice I suppose to be able to try before you buy (I have never rented a gun), it it seems that most if not all of these have to do with rented guns. I have read that some ranges require that you either have a gun of you're own with you or a friend with you to rent. Seems like a good idea.
    minimalbrat likes this.

I've rented guns, especially when trying to decide what my next purchase will be. It's great to rent first and see how it feels, how it shoots, etc. I bought my first gun without shooting one like it first and I hated to shoot it, a year later I sold it and that's when I rented a couple of the ones I was considering next. It will really make me angry if places stop renting guns because of the risk of suicide, seriously out of how many guns a place rents in a year results in suicide? The attached article hasn't said at this point if he used a rented one, although it can probably be assumed.

I am sorry for this guy's family and for anyone who was there to witness it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You're not going to stop a determined suicide from happening. Hopefully they don't take anyone else with them.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A real shame. There was a thread here a couple of weeks ago that someone started because he went to a range without his own gun, wanted to rent, was by himself and they wouldn't rent to him. It was mentioned that he likely fit a "profile" for just such a thing as this. Can certainly understand the shooting ranges stance now.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

A place I shoot at won't rent to a single person for just this reason. Their thinking is that a person alone is more likely to commit suicide than a person with another person or two.

The worst I read/saw was the mom who killed her adult son then herself at a range with, IIRC,a rental gun, all on range surveillance cameras.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

There is a cc video at a range where a woman took her son, rented 2 firearms, shot and killed her son while he was putting a few downrange then committed suicide. Why do people feel it is necessary to kill their children. Here is a clue for anybody contemplating such an act...no, your children do not need to be with the Lord yet, they will do just fine without you, and no, the world is a good enough place for them to live in. Please just let them live.
    Luvsunderdogs likes this.

There is CCTV at every station on this range so I am sure it s on tape.

You won't stop people no matter what you do, but I think if I owned a range I would not rent guns. You could say the same thing about cars I guess, but I don't recall hearing about someone going to Avis and driving off a cliff on purpose.
    bigmacque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    A place I shoot at won't rent to a single person for just this reason. Their thinking is that a person alone is more likely to commit suicide than a person with another person or two.
    I agree with this and/or you can rent if you brought your own gun. If you have one already your not likely to rent one to kill yourself.
    bigmacque and Darrow75 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I've rented guns, especially when trying to decide what my next purchase will be. It's great to rent first and see how it feels, how it shoots, etc. I bought my first gun without shooting one like it first and I hated to shoot it, a year later I sold it and that's when I rented a couple of the ones I was considering next. It will really make me angry if places stop renting guns because of the risk of suicide, seriously out of how many guns a place rents in a year results in suicide? The attached article hasn't said at this point if he used a rented one, although it can probably be assumed.

I am sorry for this guy's family and for anyone who was there to witness it.
    That is the only link I could find at the time. Local news is reporting he rented a gun....

RKM
    I like the idea of, in order to rent a gun, you must bring a gun. Kind of proves the fact that you're not renting for the sole purpose of suicide seeing as though many rent the gun in order to obtain a gun. Whereas if you already have a gun, the general consensus would be that you don't need to go to a range and rent a gun to commit suicide. You'll never prevent suicides as a whole, but I think by requiring a person who would like to rent a firearm, to bring a firearm, THAT would drastically reduce gun range suicides.

Makes it hard for a genuine first time gun purchaser to try a gun before they buy. However, if you don't own a gun, you at least know somebody who does. And if they don't, then THAT person knows somebody who does.

In 2007 (the latest year for which we have national statistics), there were 34,598 suicides in the U.S. (94.8 suicides per day; 1 suicide every 15.2 minutes). This translates to an annual suicide rate of 11.5 per 100,000
    - http://www.suicidology.org/c/documen...e=DLFE-244.pdf

Why is it that we only hear about this one? Perhaps it is politically motivated. It seems a subliminal message to blame guns for the suicide IMO... I instinctively feel a need to go on the defensive to defend gun rights and that is exactly what this story is about. Putting gun proponents on the defensive

very horrible....and very scary.

indeed puts gun rental at ranges at a WHOLE new perspective.

we all to through a background check before we get to own a gun, but a gun-rental requires no such check.

perhaps rentals should end.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links