M&P15

This is a discussion on M&P15 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I put this in another post but did not get any response. I guess everybody had already left that thread. Just got a new M&P ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spidey2011

Thread: M&P15

M&P15

I put this in another post but did not get any response. I guess everybody had already left that thread. Just got a new M&P 15. I am a hand gun guy and know very little about long guns. I am looking for advice on what kind of sights I should put on the new gun.(Please don't ask for pictures because I just don't know how to do that.) This will be mostly a fun gun but may see some use for home defense. Should I use iron sights, or red dot, or some kind of scope? I know you guys will give me a lot of good choices.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    M&P AR's seem to be good rifles. Iron sights are a good choice to start with. Get the basics of shooting a rifle , then consider a optic. Most have irons as backup at the least while using a red dot or scope. Also if intended for HD a good white light mounted is very helpful in target ID.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    It depends on what you want to do with it. I have two AR 15s. One has a scope and I use it for target shooting and for plinking woodchucks. The other has a red dot and back up iron sights. I use that one for home defense.

If you want your M&P to do it all I suggest a variable power scope like a 1X4 or a 2X7 that can be used for plinking on high power and HD at low power.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Tell us what model rifle you have . Does it now have basic open sights and what do you look to use it for. I have two scopes for my M&P sport. 2-7 redfield for generial use and a 6-18 burris for target /critter use. These lowest cost M&Ps will shoot moa or less if scoped well.

Not sure about the model. it is just stamped model M&P 15. It did not have any sights on it at all. It has a 16'' barrel and adjustable stock. I hope to use it as a casual shooter for fun. But I can see it used for home defense in some cases, but my handguns will do most of that job.

VIP Member
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219...-reticle-matte

Something like this would be nice.

Buy the magpul clamp on sights and the 2-7 redfield revolution scope is the same one i have for gereral rifle use. But shop around. A only paid 139.00

Irons are good to start with. Since my rifles are more likely to be used for plinking or hunting than anything else, I put a 2-7x burris and a mini red dot on my M&P.

My Zombie Hunter is the one that's going to get decked out. I ordered a new scope for it last week, so it's going to have that, with a QD base, folding rear iron sight, and a biohazard Eotech mounted on a 45 degree offset rail. I'm also considering a 37mm grenade launcher just for S&G's. lol.

These things are infinitely customizable. I'd start with a good set of irons, though. Once you have that mastered, you can start playing with different optics to find what you like.
    revldm likes this.

Thanks to you all for the advice, thanks also to Spidey, that sounds like what I had in mind. there is a gun show this weekend so I will be out there hunting sights.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    Thanks to you all for the advice, thanks also to Spidey, that sounds like what I had in mind. there is a gun show this weekend so I will be out there hunting sights.
    Another important thing to look at while you're out is the base and rings. If you want a mini red dot, like I did, you need the rings with the rail on top. I used the Burris P.E.P.R mount. Comes with standard rings as well as the railed version.

Don'r xpect to find a deal or even a good selection at a gun show but atleast size everthing up. You can most time by cheaper on line even after paying shipping.

Links