Thoughts on Joining a Range Club ~ Warning! Long!!

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Joining a Range Club ~ Warning! Long!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet I use a public (county) outdoor range 45 minutes up the road. Conditions there range from obscene (guy shooting thru his ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Joining a Range Club ~ Warning! Long!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I use a public (county) outdoor range 45 minutes up the road. Conditions there range from obscene (guy shooting thru his hand) to rediculous (having to reassemble my Glock so I can lock the slide back and make it safe (?). But it's a decent range and kept up. Another range is much as you describe. Many rules, a lot of which have nothing to do with shooting/handling of firearms. Both, being outdoors, are too hot and humid for me much of the year.

One indoor range is an absolute dump, have to buy his ammo, etc. The other is relatively new, maintained, but so small that people stomp all over my brass before I can pick it up (I know you reloaders hate that).

I hope your application goes thru in short order. I yearn for the days when I could go out to the railroad tracks running across the wheat fields and blast away to my heart's content.
    Hey OldVet is this one of the ranges you are referring too?
    goshootingirc.com | Home

2. Remove Ads

To the OP: will they let you draw from a holster?

My dad was a member if a range similar to how you described (in Ill-annoy)...would not allow anyone to carry or draw from a holster: "we don't even let FBI agents carry here"---um...ok

I had to walk away one day after visiting because one guy wanted to make it an argument....not that I was drawing from the holster...but after telling me their rules ordered me to take it off. I switched to a different gun (that didn't fit the holster)...and he was still all over me. For wearing a holster.

I left.

Followed by my parents who moved to the South and never a problem with anyone using holsters.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Hey OldVet is this one of the ranges you are referring too?
    goshootingirc.com | Home
    Yes. Nice range, well monitored. Not regulated to death, but I thought the reassembly was a bit over the top. I was swapping out my .22 conversion slide when "Cease Fire" was called and set the parts down on the bench. As for the guy who shot himself, you ever had the feeling something was going to go wrong? I had that feeling when he and his party entered. I told my son, who I was meeting there, that I wanted to be at the opposite end of the firing line from that bunch. Shot himself right thru the hand with a .22 Mag revolver. Good thing he wasn't shooting a .44 Mag.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No one should go to a range where they feel unsafe. Even without a "paid" RSO a good range will police itself and shooters will have respect for each others safety first. I go to a state range in a management area and all the shooters, every time I have been there, a remarkably diligent and absolutely willing to work with each other. The fee...well it is $0.00 because it is state (there is an access fee but that fee is for the entire 5000 acres of hunting and trekking. If you buy a state hunting license for 16 bucks then the annual access permit fee of $23.00 is waived). The complex and facilities are top of the line for an outdoor state range. The target frames are taken care of by the "Friends" of the WMA. You don't need to pay a lot of money for a good quality range. I know of a range that wanted $250.00+ for an annual membership. In the fall and winter the range was only available on the weekend days for just a few hours and LEO gets priority. The range was not nearly as impressive as the state facilities. I do pay a cheap price for a pistol range to keep in practice.

they should have more rso in the club

Good luck with all your range experiences. Mine is out the back of my garage. I'm Owner, Manager, Range Officer, Rules Enforcer & singularly hold all invitation rights. As long as Mrs. Ghost Tracker, uh...isn't in the garden & says it's okay!
    aznav likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I hope your application goes thru in short order. I yearn for the days when I could go out to the railroad tracks running across the wheat fields and blast away to my heart's content.
    Sigh. Ditto on that one. I could actually do that, once upon a time.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Hmmm, I better qualify a few things. The members are not "snots". There have been several that have been quite friendly but on the other hand, it's not an AA meeting. LOL!!! Yes, I find the two month (because you must attend two of their monthly meetings) a bit much. I will also say that old-timers have told me that you can often come there during weekdays and it will be virtually empty. Your FOB gets you in all the way till sunset, seven days a week. Frankly, for a hundred bucks a year I find it more than reasonable and my schedule often allows me time to hit it midday. Now that I'm no longer working on base, I can carry all the time except, of course, on campuses. It is open all year. There are weekend scheduled events for certain ranges but all you have to do is look them up online for a calendar of events. Many of those events are beyond cool. You are a neanderthal if you don't police your brass. There are also a group of folks there that are pretty good in their respective firearm categories and I hope to be the proverbial cat on the backdoor screen for help. April through October they throw a bbq before each meeting. All the beer you can drink. Ok, that last one was a lie.

Having said all that, we are renting this first year here and hope to build/buy next summer. My Christmas wish is to get some property that will literally allow me to go out the back door and shoot from my porch. Could be a pipe dream but I'm working on it!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Glad to hear that you found a safe place to practice. Unfortunately, the application and membership process sounds more to me like you are joining a 3-patch motorcycle club than a range club... Do they have a slogan?

Distinguished Member
    Do they have a slogan?
    "Cease Fire!"

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    "Cease Fire!"
    Well that sounds like a proper slogan. I was worried you would say something like "God Forgives, Our Range Doesn't"
    Last edited by steffen; October 18th, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

I did a search on local ranges ,There is one in my area that has about the same rules to join up.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    We just joined the local police range. They stress safety and always have someone watching the lanes. This is good...
    I know the place you are talking about... Very nice place, I might just join up there too, but it's a bit of a drive.
    lchamp likes this.

Distinguished Member
    They do allow holster draw outdoor and indoor. No crossdraw, of course. I am surprised that you don't have to flip the range table up before drawing on the indoor range. Last range I belonged to required that.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

I'm a member at a local club that has a similar system for new members, maybe not so military like. But I like it. Definitely feels safer than a public range or a 'pay your money and you're in' club. Well worth the long process.
    aznav likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links