NEED HELP!!! How much is this worth?

This is a discussion on NEED HELP!!! How much is this worth? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys, the local store has this on consignment for $1000. How much would you give for it, and would it be a good investment? I'd ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dV8r

Thread: NEED HELP!!! How much is this worth?

Guys, the local store has this on consignment for $1000. How much would you give for it, and would it be a good investment? I'd never want to shoot it, but man is it amazing looking.

The LGS said they did the research and it's the real deal, made in 1918.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

I want a 1911 to replace my M&P as my carry piece, but this wouldn't be it. This would be an investment and a piece of history. I just really can't convince myself it's a good idea.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Here is a similar model for comparison:
    World War I Colt Model 1911 U.S. Army Semi-Automatic Pistol
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Administrator
    The thumb safety - the slide stop - the mag release - the hammer & the trigger are not worn enough to match the condition of the frame and slide. Just FYI.

Not saying as that is a huge problem but, they do kinda jump out at me a bit.

Why wouldn't ya shoot it. I shoot my aged boomer. I just would shy away away from the +P or the +P+ ammo and just run ball through it.

Just install a fresh recoil spring but, keep the old one (if it is an older one) so that you can reinstall it later.

For around here $1000. would be a little steep for that exact gun in that exact condition.

Send OD a PM and ask him to chime in on it.

He has already forgot more about the historic 1911s than I'll ever hope to know.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The thumb safety - the slide stop - the mag release - the hammer & the trigger are not worn enough to match the condition of the frame and slide. Just FYI.Not saying as that is a huge problem but, they do kinda jump out at me a bit.Why wouldn't ya shoot it. I shoot my aged boomer. I just would shy away away from the +P or the +P+ ammo and just run ball through it. Just install a fresh recoil spring but, keep the old one (if it is an older one) so that you can reinstall it later.For around here $1000. would be a little steep for that exact gun in that exact condition.Send OD a PM and ask him to chime in on it. He has already forgot more about the historic 1911s than I'll ever hope to know.
    Add the grip safety to the non original parts too. Is there a matching serial number on the slide?
    QKShooter likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have a Remington made in 1919 in similar condition but all original and all parts matching. I figure its worth $1500. I have another Remington I inherited from my dad that has been reblued twice. it looks nice but is worth only about $800. With the replacement parts Id say its worth between $800 and $1000. That would be here in CA. DR

Why are the controls fairy fresh bluing and the frame/slide worn to the bone?
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I agree about the newer parts. Perhaps you can make a an offer of, say $800 and see if the owner will accept it, in light of the revelation about the non-original parts.

I've got a buddy with a 1919. All original as far as we know. He nearly stole it from the guy at around $400. Jerked his arm off too. He said he cannot get that gun to fail while shooting it. Eats everything he puts through it.

But I would use the control issue to try to get the price down. Might be hard to figure out if it was done recently or someone cannibalized one gun to fix another one years and years ago.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Why are the controls fairy fresh bluing and the frame/slide worn to the bone?
    It is not unusual for the small parts to take and keep the finish better than the slide and frame, however the photos here, although not very high res, just don't look right. One would need to see it first hand or put it on a flatbed scanner and get a 1200 dpi scan to analyze. My "gut" says $600 - $700 worth.
    Still a very nice specimen and anyone should be proud to have it as a Classic.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Well, at this point I'm thinking I'll probably pass on it and stick with thinking about the Springfield Loaded they have used for $700. Thanks for the input guys.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

It certainly looks like an original...the same one I first learned to shoot as a kid in the 50's. I believe that it is worth what you would be willing to pay for it. To me, a thousand bucks for a childhood memory would not be all that expensive. I do like to use my firearms after I buy them so I would only need to know it was safe to use.

Links