(U-PIN) Unique Personal Identification Number

This is a discussion on (U-PIN) Unique Personal Identification Number within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I mailed in my VAF application on 10-01-12 ..... Today 10-15-12 I received a letter from the U.S. Department of Justice / Federal Bureau of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: (U-PIN) Unique Personal Identification Number

I mailed in my VAF application on 10-01-12 .....
    Today 10-15-12 I received a letter from the U.S. Department of Justice / Federal Bureau of Investigation
    The Subject: "Application Acknowledgement" from (NICS) National Criminal Background Check (VAF) Voluntary Appeal File
    My application has been forwarded on to the (AST) Appeal Service Team for further processing.
    With that I am to be advised the VAF applications are processed in the order in which they are received, that being said they are experiencing a high volume of requests and are currently processing applications received in August 2012.

I will update as time goes on and there is something new to add or report. At this point I can only assume that I am approximately three months away from my turn at review.

If any of you are interested in having some of your questions answered directly you can call 1-877-FBI-NICS (324-6427)

Downloadable application link http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ochure_eng.pdf
    Read about the FAQ's at FBI — NICS Appeal Frequently Asked Questions
    I hope this helps someone who may not know how to begin the process of obtaining a U-PIN number

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    U-PIN #? You got me there. Its purpoae is?
    Hopyard likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    U-PIN #? You got me there. Its purpoae is?
    I believe it's some kind of number issued to you by the government to help identify you when you buy a gun. I guess I can see the use if there are several felons with the same name as you, but I'd rather not be assigned a PIN by the federal government.

VIP Member
    "...but I'd rather not be assigned a PIN by the federal government."

You already have--it's called a SSAN.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The purpose for obtaining a U-PIN number is to help avoid getting a (Delay) rather than the preferred (Proceed) when purchasing a handgun.
    Think of the U-PIN as a means of proving you are who you claim to be and your history is clean to a point in time when the number was issued to you. So rather than being thrown into a pool of applicants that may have many similarities with you causing your purchase to go on delay, you're more likely to get a proceed if you are holding a U-PIN number.
    The U-PIN is not for everyone, if the system is working for you by design good for you. Many of us, myself included are in a much different boat. With that said we are not rendered helpless or at the mercy of the system thanks to the VAF/NICS background check.

If you have a big brother paranoia this might not be for you. Personally I’m of the mindset that if I am somehow being mixed up with a bad guy I want it clear myself.

Again I hope this information can help those who might not know there is an option available to them.
    Last edited by HardBall; October 16th, 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: sp

Wow! Why not change your name to "Honest, non-restricted Citizen"? And yes, I do have a STOUT case of BBP (Big Brother Paranoia). And the bigger that our Big Brother gets, the more my paranoia grows. I fear a government that so clearly distrusts...me.
    Exacto likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I'm still working on the need for one. I don't have a problem purchasing a firearm, at least not here.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I think you are supposed to have it tattooed on your forehead
    Exacto likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Wow! Why not change your name to "Honest, non-restricted Citizen"? And yes, I do have a STOUT case of BBP (Big Brother Paranoia). And the bigger that our Big Brother gets, the more my paranoia grows. I fear a government that so clearly distrusts...me.
    I understand completely, trust that I'm not here selling you guys on an idea of surrendering to anything. I thought I would share my experiences as I move through the process so others can gain some insight.
    Take it for whats it's worth :)
    Exacto likes this.

I think I would rather take the chance of a delay, although none of my purchases have ever been delayed.

All the "flap" over this pin number is meaningless. If anyone has purchased a weapon from a gun dealer and filled out the BATF forn and had a background check run have been "tagged"(registered) as a gun owner by the US Government. For the most part the ship has sailed on the government not knowing who has guns.

2nd amendment --- What's that??????????
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

This is a good thread. I have a clean background to include TS clearance but always end up with a 5 day wait. I bought another gun last October and had to wait. I decided to file for a U-PIN and did in early November. It just happened I bought another gun shortly afterward and the dealer joked with the ATF about the U-PIN. So, the system was aware of my request for U-PIN very quickly. I just wish they were as quick with the process of issuing the PIN. Judging from the previous comments I will still have a long wait.

I have a CCW in my state and had a Secret Service Background Check in 2006 and that took 30 seconds, so I will pass on the U-PIN. Oh, BTW my state wants to see my SSN Card on my next Drivers License Renewal along with a bunch of other stuff. I am going to show it to them and make them read the bottom line on the card back to me. We have some Guvment folks that are already way over the cliff!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I bought 2 receivers about 6 months ago for a couple 10/22's I was building. They got in a couple days apart and I ended up picking them up as they came in...the first one I passed the background check with no problems (just like expected). When I went back to my LGS 2 days later to pick up the second one I was denied. Talk about confusing! I ended up having to file an appeal with the NICS department...send in finger prints and the whole 9 yards. After all was said and done they mistook me for someone else and thought I had spend 3 of the last 5 years in prison. I finally got it all worked out and was able to pick up my receiver....the FBI agent I was dealing with told me about the UPIN program and thought I really would benefit from it so this never happened again. Here in Arkansas if you have a CCL you don't have to go through the NICS background check anyways so I ended up going that route. Actually went to my class last Saturday and am waiting on my license to get here now.

I've bought 3 or 4 guns in the last couple years with no issues but that time I did was a nightmare and I couldn't buy anything until my appeal was approved. I believe the UPIN would be a good deal if I hadn't decided to do my CCL...just my .02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links