How to choose a rimfire rifle scope?

This is a discussion on How to choose a rimfire rifle scope? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I'm looking into buying a scope. I know there are things like windage, but I see there are lots of other variables to choose ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How to choose a rimfire rifle scope?

How to choose a rimfire rifle scope?

So, I'm looking into buying a scope.

I know there are things like windage, but I see there are lots of other variables to choose from.

so, for basic target shooting with my Ruger 10/22...what do I need to look for in a scope that costs say...$60 or less?

2. Remove Ads

Doesn't matter what scope you put on a 10/22, the scope will always be more accurate than the rifle.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Doesn't matter what scope you put on a 10/22, the scope will always be more accurate than the rifle.
    And the rifle will be more accurate than the shooter.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Sorry Dave not true sir.... 10/22's are generally pretty accurate out of the box. Pythius unfortunately you are really rolling the dice with a 60 dollar budget. Chances are a 60 dollar scope won't hold a zero... I would say the bottom end is about double that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Sorry Dave not true sir.... 10/22's are generally pretty accurate out of the box. Pythius unfortunately you are really rolling the dice with a 60 dollar budget. Chances are a 60 dollar scope won't hold a zero... I would say the bottom end is about double that budget.
    The 10/22 is an extremely accurate auto rifle. Its gonna shoot the same group no matter what scope is on it, provided the person holding the rifle is able.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    eeek.

ok, well, let me show u some links go scopes in my price range, and u tell me if they are any good.

Cabela's: Cabela's Rimfire Riflescopes

Barska Plinker 22 Rimfire Rifle Scope 4x 32mm Illuminated 30-30

Barska Plinker 22 Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 32mm 30-30 Reticle Matte

I would be looking for higher quality than barska or cabelas brand personally... Understand that sometimes these scopes work but as a rule don't trust the brand name if it starts with a b. To put this in perspective if one wants a scope with clear glass and a reasonable guarantee that the scope will hold zero...your looking at minimum 200 or so but it's not uncommon for serious rifle guys to buy a 700 dollar Remington 308 and then spend 1000 on glass.

The nikon pro staff series is about the bottom end of what I would say is not a toy. Barska, bsa, utg, ncstar, Bushnell (until you get into the higher end) these are notoriously disappointing... They won't stay where you put them so they look cool on your rifle but good luck with it having repeatable accuracy.
    atctimmy likes this.

I've got a Simmons 8 point 3X9X40 on my .223 bolt gun.

A buddy has one on his Savage .17HMR... I wouldn't hesitate to put one on a 10/22; they're around $50. Don't forget that the rings and bases may run you about $20 more.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My 10/22 is extremely accurate and holds zero with a Centerpoint 4-16x40 scope. Bought it on Amazon for $69, you can also pick them up at Walmart for around the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have personal experience with these two

Simmons 22 Mag Rimfire Truplex Reticle Scope - 355632, Scopes at Sportsman's Guide

Bsa Sweet .22 3-9x40 Mm Scope, Matte Black - 644012, Scopes at Sportsman's Guide

Both of them do the job as a entry level rimfire scope. Both have the Parallax set at 50 yds. Both are clear and easily focused. The problems are that both have large lenses that look larger on a rimfire, and both are not going to be great light gatherers. [ only a problem at dawn and dusk.] If I were using it in a sport where I needed to make constant adjustments Id look for a better scope but I use them on plinking guns that are zeroed at 35yds, and left alone. they have held that zero for years now. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I have personal experience with these two

Simmons 22 Mag Rimfire Truplex Reticle Scope - 355632, Scopes at Sportsman's Guide

Bsa Sweet .22 3-9x40 Mm Scope, Matte Black - 644012, Scopes at Sportsman's Guide

Both of them do the job as a entry level rimfire scope. Both have the Parallax set at 50 yds. Both are clear and easily focused. The problems are that both have large lenses that look larger on a rimfire, and both are not going to be great light gatherers. [ only a problem at dawn and dusk.] If I were using it in a sport where I needed to make constant adjustments Id look for a better scope but I use them on plinking guns that are zeroed at 35yds, and left alone. they have held that zero for years now. DR
    question #1. What is a "parallax set"?

question #2. What does it mean to be "zereod" as a certain yardage?

I was under the novice impression, that like binoculars, a scope needs to be focused whenever you're looking at something at a different distance, and there is some sort of up-down adjust for "windage", to compensate for greater distance hence greater bullet drop.

what more is there?

also, how much of a field of vision do I want...at what distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    also, how much of a field of vision do I want...at what distance?
    Your field of view is going to vary depending on the size of your objective lens and the magnification power setting.

Lower the magnification, the more field of view.

ETA: here is a short read on riflescopes, definitions and functions: http://m.opticsplanet.com/how-to-choose-riflescope.html

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

No need to get crazy about a .22 scope. Just get one for 50-75 $ price range and it should be decent enough quality. It really depends what you want to do with the rifle that dictates the scope.
    Get at least 30mm or a 1 inch tube, and make sure you buy the best mounts you can afford. No use to get a good scope with cheap mounts.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links