Ammo question from newb.

This is a discussion on Ammo question from newb. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello. Let me start by saying that I am a complete newbie to everything. Since a kid I have always been fascinated by guns. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo question from newb.

Ammo question from newb.

Hello. Let me start by saying that I am a complete newbie to everything. Since a kid I have always been fascinated by guns. My mother was very anti-gun. No bb guns, no airsoft, no paintball. Well I applied for a pistol permit here in gun-hating new York, and was approved for a full carry. I purchased a Ruger lc9 since it seems to be highly rated and reccomended. I do not know anyone with any kind of firearm, including hunting. So I have to depend on forums and you tube to learn cleaning, field stripping, etc.

That being said, I pick up my lc9 from the ffl on Tuesday. I would like to take it down to a range after I clean it. I went to my local Walmart, and they have 4 different brands of 9mm ammo. For reference they are:

TULAMMO, FEDERAL, WINCHESTER, & REMMINGTON, all are 115 gr. FMJ.

My question is this. For simple range shooting, is FMJ good to use? And what are the primary types of ammo that are used, I know of 3(FMJ, hollow point, self defense), but what are the others, and what's the difference between them.

I realize this is a newb question, but I don't have anyone to ask.

Thanks,
    DJ

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum DJ! Don't worry, we were all in your shoes once.

FMJ does seem to be a popular range ammo due to its lower cost. I've always shot either Speer or Winchester brand ammo because those have never given me any issues at the range. When I'm not a the range, I carry Speer Gold Dots which are hollow point bullets.

For range ammo I would try and find the stuff that is least expensive which shouldn't be a problem for 9mm.

Congrats on your new gun!

Distinguished Member
    I personally stay away from Tula... it's less expensive for a reason.
    Federal ammo has always treated me well, but you should be ok with the Winchester or Remington too.
    For target/range use, the FMJ is fine and almost always less expensive that HP/Defensive rounds.
    Hollow Point and Self Defense rounds are pretty much the same animal for the most part. Some ammo sold as defensive rounds employ improved projectiles that are designed to maximize transfer of energy to the target.
    In choosing a "defensive" round to carry in your firearm, be sure to run a few boxes through the gun at the range to make sure it feeds the ammo reliably. If one brand doesn't shoot every time, try another.

Best of luck, shoot safe and ...

----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Welcome from So Cal!

Nothing wrong with being new, and at least you are smart enough to ask questions and seek answers! For the range fmj is fine. If you are allowed to use hollow points I would use them when you can at the range. They are more expensive, but what you want to carry. I carried Remington Gold Sabers 124 gr. in my LC9 and they functioned fine.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I second the Remington Golden Sabers in the LC9. This is what I carry and have had good performance with them when practicing. But make sure you test whatever defensive ammo you choose out on your own - guns tend to have their own appetite for different ammo. What one will eat all day, another may jam up on.

As for the FMJ, I have shot all of those out of the LC9 and all seem to work just fine. The Tulammo seemed to make the gun very dirty, but as whoppo said it's less expensive for a reason.

Keep asking questions, it's the only way you learn! Stay safe.

-crl

I use the Wincheser white box 115 FMJ on the range. My advice is to stay away from the steel jackets if possible (IMHO). When you pick your defensive rounds, what was mentioned above is true. See what works best for you and you new gun. Best to test your carry ammo at the range as well. That way you know what to expect when you need to use it.

I use the critical duty 135g for carry, but I have also used the 124g HST. I carry a larger handgun, so you mileage may vary.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Wow, so much info from so few posts. Good to know. After a little research, for the Ruger lc9, hands down the reccomended SD ammo is the Hornady Critical Defense with the 135 gr. Flexlock bullet.

Also, I discovered something else. The range I HAD planned on going to, requires you use their ammo, purchased there. Now I need to find a better range, maybe at a gun club......

Quote Originally Posted by Acrid View Post
    Also, I discovered something else. The range I HAD planned on going to, requires you use their ammo, purchased there. Now I need to find a better range, maybe at a gun club......
    That sucks. You will not get the best price from them. I would find another range, if possible.

As far as the ruger recommended SD ammo for the Hornady CD 135g, that is what I use in my XD9 (+P), but I think you should still try some other ammo as well. You may find that you shoot other weights better than the CD. See what works best for you, but the Hornady CD is a good enough place to start.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Basically any fmj is good for range use... Some ranges collect the brass for resale/recycling so they don't allow steel cased (tulammo, wolf, and bear, etc) or aluminum cased ammo (blazer). I generally go for what ever brass cased is the cheapest... They key here is what ever gives you the most practice for your buck wins.

As for carry ammo well the sky is the limit and so long as your picking a modern hollow point your not wrong... That being said some are generally regarded as top tier bullet designs...

I personally prefer federal HST over all others check them out and the following:
    Speer gold dot... A very good performing bonded bullet
    Rem golden saber... Performs reliably but others will expand bigger
    Corbon dpx... A solid copper (lead free) bullet that is all the rage for consistent expansion
    Winchester ranger t.... This is black talon renamed without the black coating on the bullet, a very good design
    Winchester pdx1...another good performing bonded bullet
    I like hst because it expands very large.

The key with a defensive pistol is shot placement. There is no such thing as a magic bullet. Handguns do damage by crushing and cutting and lack the energy to make large wound cavities like rifles. This all means the bullet actually has to hit the vital areas to cause damage to them so expansion is good.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I personally stay away from Tula... it's less expensive for a reason.
    Yup - I learned that the hard way...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

My typical range ammo is WWB (Winchester white box) and UMC. I've had two problems with UMC ammo and none with WWB, but at the range I'm not to worried about it.

For defensive ammo, you'll drive yourself crazy reading about ballistics, energy transfer rates, muzzle velocity and once you decide on the best ammo for your needs, you'll start second guessing yourself and do it all again. :) Any of the major manufacturers of quality self defense ammo will be good starts, and as was recommended, make sure they work with your firearm.

I carry a subcompact 9mm as well, and for me after pouring over tons of web pages and youtube videos, I settled on 124gr Federal HST2 ammo.

I usually go for federal or UMC but I have used Winchester and Remington. I carry Federal hydra-shoks in my glock 19.

Blazer is usually the cheapest 9mm around here. My S&W runs it fine, as does my buddies Kahr. Another guy I know runs nothing but bulk reloads in his G19. Worked good for him so far. If you have a company fairly close that does reloading, I'd look into that. The last time he bought a case, I think he payed $9/50 rounds, which is about $2 a box cheaper than buying factory ammo.

As far as SD ammo, I use 124gr Remington Golden Sabers. Proven round, and my gun likes it.

VIP Member
    The Federal from walmart is great.

The Remington seems to have some small problems, but most are able to run it through their pistols ok.

I use Gold Dot or Federal HST in the 9mms, .357 sig and the .38s.
    Hornady is fine as well.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links