Need help helping my wife to shoot better.

This is a discussion on Need help helping my wife to shoot better. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Made an accidental discovery that my wife is cross eye dominant. She's a rightie/left eyed shooter! I never knew anybody that has suffered from this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need help helping my wife to shoot better.

Made an accidental discovery that my wife is cross eye dominant. She's a rightie/left eyed shooter! I never knew anybody that has suffered from this affliction. We really would like for her to become the best shooter that she can be(me too for that matter), but I don't know where to direct her in this endevor. I've tried looking up advice online on how to deal with this affliction and only came up with differring opinions from the experts. Is there anybody on this site that has dealt with this? If so, what have you found, if anything that helped you learn to be proficient with pistols? Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Hickok45 shoots that way, he has a little video about it as well, I'll try and find it.

Edit:
    FAQ - 33 (Left Eye Dominant 2) - YouTube

Let her catch you cheating. My wife would put Wild Bill Hickok to shame under that circumstance.

It's funny, I'm cross-eye dominant when I shoot long guns: Right hand trigger, left eye sight. I've been doing it all my life with no issues. I shoot with both eyes open.

With pistols, though, I'm ambidextrous but prefer left hand shooting, left eye sighting.

Tell her to keep both eyes open and practice, practice. She might do just fine in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    It's funny, I'm cross-eye dominant when I shoot long guns: Right hand trigger, left eye sight. I've been doing it all my life with no issues. I shoot with both eyes open.

With pistols, though, I'm ambidextrous but prefer left hand shooting, left eye sighting.

Tell her to keep both eyes open and practice, practice. She might do just fine in the end.

I understand Jeff Cooper was cross eye dominant, and I would say he was an accomplished shooter, so I know it can be done.

Take her to a good shooting class like "Front Sight". My wife is cross dominant (right handed, left eyed) The instructor there taught her how in about 5 minits. She still outshoots me.
    Fate makes demands of flesh and blood. And what does it often demand? Flesh and blood!

I hired someone to teach my wife. I would likely be single again had I taken on the task personally.

sent via iCarry

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    I hired someone to teach my wife. I would likely be single again had I taken on the task personally.

sent via iCarry
    Ding Ding Ding Ding. I think we have a winner. That is sound advice if I ever heard it.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post

sent via iCarry
    Best answer so far.

But if you do want to do the training yourself, you might try an eye patch over her non-dominate eye when shes shooting. Once she gets into the habit of shooting with her dominate eye, then get rid of it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    If you have a smart phone, there is a free NRA app now. You punch in your location and it will find NRA firearm training classes near you.

Training from a professional is nearly always superior than training from a spouse.

I am also right handed and left eye dominate. I have shot a rifle left handed sense I was a kid. I have always shot a handgun right handed with my left eye. 40 + yrs.
    Last year I started shooting rifles right handed- right eye and pistols using my right. After a month or so it seemed natural. I can now shoot either way equally well.
    I don't think it makes any difference. The only way she will become her best is with lots of practice. Just like the rest of us

There's different ways to address it, find which one suits her the best. Tilt the gun 45 deg to left or learn to shoot with both eyes open. Tilting the gun is immediate, shooting with both eyes open will probably take about 6 mo of dry fire practice (10 min per evening) to get where she'll draw and immediately acquire a good sight picture - worth the training though.

I am cross eye dominant, when I started with pistols I was taught both eyes open and isosceles stance.
    Once comfortable with that the transition to any position pending situation comes natural.
    Also with minor thought I can comfortably switch the eye I am actively sighting with.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    PM sent.

I too sent PM...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links