Savage Mark 2 FV vs CZ 455

This is a discussion on Savage Mark 2 FV vs CZ 455 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gasmitty What's your budget for the scope? I'd like to keep it $100ish. Although, I am also considering either taking my Bushnell ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Savage Mark 2 FV vs CZ 455

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    What's your budget for the scope?
    I'd like to keep it $100ish.

Although, I am also considering either taking my Bushnell 3-9x off the Marlin 336, and putting it on there, since that rifle doesn't really need a scope.

Or, I have a Redfield 4-12x40 on the Rem 700, and I'd like to get a decent mil-dot scope on that, so I could move that one too.

So, Simmons, Barksa, Nikon, Bushnell are probably the tier of maker I am looking at.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I am thinking just a fixed power 4x32 scope should be adequate on this rifle. It is probably going to spend most of its life on the 50 yard line, but even at 100 yards 4x is plenty of magnification. Any thoughts on this line of thinking?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    I'd got with the 3x9. They are just as cheap and you'll want it zoomed up to 9 if trying to shoot itty bitty groups at 100 yards.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Any thoughts on the normal 3-9 Prostaff, and the P-22 model?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Any thoughts on the normal 3-9 Prostaff, and the P-22 model?
    I've had a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x. No expert, but IMO for the price it's a decent scope and has pretty good optics. Burris has a couple that I'd consider. If your eyes need a bit of help with a .22LR round, going up to 3-12x or so might be worthwhile. As Hotguns suggests, the wee little holes can be rough on older eyes, at 100yds and further.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

On my Marlin 917V, I have a Mueller APV 4.5X14. For target shooting, it's da bomb. I really like shooting small things at 50 yards while dialed up to 14X. The AO allows for high magnification at closer distances.

I got mine for $130 shipped, from Mizzou Mule online. It came highly regarded in rimfire circles.

The downside is that it's kind of a long scope, so it doesn't balance well, for me, while hunting. And the AO is about useless while hunting, because no shots give you enough time to meddle with it.

But overall, I'm really pleased with it.

ETA: http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have a Bushnell 4-16x with the illuminated red/green mil dot reticle on my glenfield mod 20. It looks like a little too much scope for the rifle but its nice for tightening up groups at 100yds (plus I got a great deal from a friend). I like keeping mine set around 9x for general shooting.

p.s. Im with others on at least going with a 3-9x. I had a fixed 4x on mine before the bushnell and I got tired of being limited by the scope for tighter groups out past 50 yds

Senior Moderator
    I think the Nikon Prostaff is probably the best .22 scope for the money out there. I have a dozen or so guns with Prostaffs on them. No problems yet.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I am thinking just a fixed power 4x32 scope should be adequate on this rifle. It is probably going to spend most of its life on the 50 yard line, but even at 100 yards 4x is plenty of magnification. Any thoughts on this line of thinking?
    At 100 yards I think you'll be wishing you had more magnification... 9x is a common upper end with lots of choices available.

My first rimfire scopes were the Simmons "22 Mag" series, one with adjustable objective (AO) and one without. I suppose if you need to shoot gnats' whiskers at 25 yards it's a nice feature to have, but other than for my airguns I've never felt a real need for it. Most of the scopes that are not directed at the rimfire shooter are parallax-adjusted for 100 yards, but if you find that's incompatible with your needs, the scope makers can reset that to what you want (e.g., 50 yards) for a small service fee.

When I built up my 10/22 sporter I shopped for some better glass, and I was impressed at the difference in clarity (sharpness of image) that you get for $150 instead of $50. I like the Leupold, but in the lower price ranges the adjustments lack the finite 'click' stops. I ended up with a Bushnell Elite 3200 (3-10x40) for around $150, and mounted it in Burris Signature rings. I'm really happy with that choice.

The Mueller APV that zacii mentions is hugely popular with the rimfire crowd (again, look over at rimfirecentral.com), and it's a good value - but it's long and it might not balance well on your gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links