Savage Mark 2 FV vs CZ 455

This is a discussion on Savage Mark 2 FV vs CZ 455 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want an accurate, heavy barreled bolt action .22 rifle, and have thus far narrowed it down to these two contenders. I do intend on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Savage Mark 2 FV vs CZ 455

Savage Mark 2 FV vs CZ 455

I want an accurate, heavy barreled bolt action .22 rifle, and have thus far narrowed it down to these two contenders. I do intend on mounting a scope on whatever I get, probably a Simmons.

The Savage can be had for about half the price of the CZ, which does make it rather attractive. And it also has the accu-trigger system in it, which I am familiar with, and a fan of. The CZ looks like the fit and finish might be a bit better.

So, who has experience with these two rifles that they would like to share?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I have a Savage, CZ, and a Sako Finn Fire. I'll tell you what; that Sako is about as good as it gets, but that CZ is very close.

The Savage, for the money is very good. What it boils down to is an edge in accuracy and beautiful workmanship, going to the CZ.

But, for most field purposes, the slight and even debatable accuracy difference will probably not be noticed.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks Gman.

I just don't have a .22 bolt action, and feel like adding one. I am having a hard time convincing myself that the CZ is twice the gun for twice the cash.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

It is, but it isn't. The Savage will work and shoot to anyone's satisfaction.

I use mine all the time. If you go with the Savage, you won't be sorry. But you may still think about the CZ:)
    Cory1022 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It is, but it isn't. The Savage will work and shoot to anyone's satisfaction.

I use mine all the time. If you go with the Savage, you won't be sorry. But you may still think about the CZ:)
    No one says I need to stop at 1 .22 bolt action.

Is the stock on the Savage about the normal for them? That seems to be the weak spot on their rifles usually.
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    No one says I need to stop at 1 .22 bolt action.

Is the stock on the Savage about the normal for them? That seems to be the weak spot on their rifles usually.
    The stock is ok. I prefer the wood, but they are hard to find. But for the money, it's fine.

I had a Simmons on mine a long time ago. It was a good scope.

Buckeye, take a wander on over to RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! - lots of good commentary on all your .22 options. Me, I'm holding out for the CZ...

I have a mildly customized Ruger 77/22 which I love, but the trigger still needs work and the bolt handle comes damnably close to the bell of the scope - that's annoying. The CZ 452 and 455 I've handled (but not shot) felt like their bolts were on ball bearings. Now if CZ could just adopt Ruger's rotary magazine to get 10 shots in a flush-mounted package, they'd have my money in a flash.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have the Savage with a plastic and the CZ 452 American. Both are great shooters. The savage is no where near the CZ in quality though. I bought a Boyds stock to replace the plastic on on the Savage for about $100 from Midway. The Savage is my beater and the CZ is my Sunday go to meeting rifle.

Michael

VIP Member
    I just got the Mark II and it's a little tack driver! I love that it has a rail and a threaded barrel too, can't beat it for the money.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    With that extra income you get for moderating here, you should be able to buy them both.

Seriously though, if the CZ is in your price range, why not go with it? Hard to beat CZ quality.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I'd get the CZ for the simple reason that the barrels can swap out from .22 to .17.

Heres the thing. I sell a lot of Savage MK2's for the sole purpose of suppressing them, since they come with the threaded barrel. They are accurate,they are quiet with a can on them and for the money they are hard to beat.
    They are utilitarian in looks. They work great but some people just want their guns to look pretty.

The CZ is much nicer. If you are the kind of guy that takes pride in the way a gun looks, then you'll go with the CZ, cause they aren't even in the same league as far as looks.

It all boils down to what you want. Truck gun, 4 wheelin, hard hunting, wet weather, boat gun, creek crossing, the Savage can take a beating.

If you just want to squirrel hunt, have a range gun, and like pretty things, the CZ will be the one.

Both will do well.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, I went ahead and had the local shop order me a Savage, and got a pretty solid deal on it. It is the 21" heavy barrel, not the shorter, fluted, threaded one.

The Savage was in my right now budget, the CZ would be in my budget sometime in the next few months. So, I went with it. I don't think I will be disappointed. I also want to give painting rifles a try, and think this would be a good platform to start with.

Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it. Now to find a scope.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

What's your budget for the scope?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Nikon Prostaff. Best .22 scope out there for the money. Its nice and bright.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The Savage rifles with Accu-Trigger are pretty great, from an accuracy and reliability standpoint. But IMO the CZ is a better weapon in every way. As others have suggested, I'd think that either could do well for your stated needs. Depends on your budget and preference. The Savage should do very well for you, particularly if you install a stiff, after-market stock to replace the flimsy plastic one (though, on a .22LR it's nowhere near the problem of a larger caliber).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links