What Age?

This is a discussion on What Age? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jryan630 At what age do you start introducing the kids to firearms? I was thinking like 6-8 years old. Start with just ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What Age?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jryan630 View Post
    At what age do you start introducing the kids to firearms? I was thinking like 6-8 years old. Start with just the basics like safty, respecting the weapon, and taking them out to fire a few rounds. Is that to much to soon?
    I grew up around guns, but I was given my first firearm at the age of 10, and once I hit boy scouts, I quickly became certified by the NRA, got my marksman qual, and so on from there.

2. Remove Ads

I plan on starting my sons when they turn 5 or 6 depending on their interest level. My oldest is about to turn 4 and loves to "help" daddy clean the guns. By help I mean he sits near me on a stool and asks a million questions. He has a genuine interest already and my wife and I have taken the Eddie Eagle approach to gun safety with him and I gotta say... IT WORKS! At least with him. When I lay my guns out for cleaning if I leave the room he follows me because he knows he's not to be in the room with my guns by hisself. I am really looking forward to buying him a pellet gun in a couple of years and taking him out for target practice.
    phreddy likes this.

All good input.....I'm with gasmitty on this. Now all you have to figure is a plan to get them away from the TV and Video Games!! (good luck here).

neverenough

I taught my friends kids about guns with the parents permission starting about four years of age. Mainly be letting them watch me clean the guns and then progressing to letting them help me clean them. I was more concerned about them handling the cleaning materials that I was about them handling the weapons themselves.
    This is the way my Father introduced to firearms and it worked for me. I was allowed to unload his handgun and clean it every day when he got off work. He was a cop.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links