Gun Safety Questions? Ask Your Pediatrician - Page 2

Gun Safety Questions? Ask Your Pediatrician

This is a discussion on Gun Safety Questions? Ask Your Pediatrician within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm Disagree, mostly. Ostensibly, sure, the concern's for health and welfare of everyone. But if it were really just about risk-benefit ratios, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Gun Safety Questions? Ask Your Pediatrician

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Disagree, mostly. Ostensibly, sure, the concern's for health and welfare of everyone. But if it were really just about risk-benefit ratios, there IMO there would be a long questionnaire with all sorts of risk points addressed, instead of laser focus on the one or two "usual suspects."

A far greater risk is li'l Johnnie getting hold of the Ajax cleanser, or similar, or any one of a dozen sharp, pointy things from the garage.

It's about reasonableness, agendas, expertise, and keeping the patient/doc visit focused on what needs to be focused on. And when firearms is the only intent question asked, it's about the demonizing, not overall health.
    Although I do see your point, I can assure you that when we had a rug rat in the house my doc would remind us
    to move chemicals to higher shelves, lock cabinets, put child safety plugs in the outlets. Guns never came
    up as an issue back then as I don't think it was on their radar as a safety issue.

I've heard this comment many times and there is wisdom in it:

"Don't attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity." I wish I'd heard that 50 years back, as it would have saved
    me a lot of aggravation.

I don't think the physicians are being malicious or driven by an anti-gun agenda other than concern for
    the welfare of children.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    AAP has a formal position asking for a ban of semiautomatic rifles and all handguns. The filed an amicus brief in Heller in support of the Chicago gun ban. So while they ae doing it to allegedly protect children, they are politically Very anti 2A.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    AAP has a formal position asking for a ban of semiautomatic rifles and all handguns. The filed an amicus brief in Heller in support of the Chicago gun ban. So while they ae doing it to allegedly protect children, they are politically Very anti 2A.
    Yup.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Although I do see your point, I can assure you that when we had a rug rat in the house my doc would remind us
    to move chemicals to higher shelves, lock cabinets, put child safety plugs in the outlets. Guns never came
    up as an issue back then as I don't think it was on their radar as a safety issue.

I've heard this comment many times and there is wisdom in it:

"Don't attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity." I wish I'd heard that 50 years back, as it would have saved
    me a lot of aggravation.

I don't think the physicians are being malicious or driven by an anti-gun agenda other than concern for
    the welfare of children.
    Organizations change over time as the people in charge change, and they admit to an anti firearm agenda.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I disagree with this article. While you can't get shot in a home where there is no gun (saving a stray round penetrating a wall from outside lolghetto) I believe you are safest when you are taught from an early age, as was I, to respect firearms, and taught the proper and safe handling methods for them. Teach children what to do when they find a gun (anywhere) and to respect the dangers of a firearm. An educated society is a safer society. Ignorance kills.
    ccw9mm likes this.

"We are not anti-gun, we are pro-child," Dowd, who will discuss the recommendations during a session at the meeting, said on the conference call
    What a load of crap. Rather than telling people not to own guns, how about focusing on the real problem? Tell people to actually give a crap about the welfare of their kid. Guns wouldn't even be an issue if we didn't have so many parents that don't know how to be parents. It's even worse now with big brother investigating anyone that disciplines their kids.

/rant.

In this case it doesn't matter if the action is due to malice or stupidity, the end result is the same. The problem is the AAP is a national organization that has the ears of many. They should be more responsible with their public announcements/studies. I've read a enough studies in the NEJM related to guns which lead me to have no doubt the medical community as a whole has an agenda and also that they are sorely lacking in research abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    In this case it doesn't matter if the action is due to malice or stupidity, the end result is the same. The problem is the AAP is a national organization that has the ears of many. They should be more responsible with their public announcements/studies.
    They have about as much place advising on firearms safety as they do regarding replacement of wonky tie-rods on older vehicles.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Then you had a great Pediatrician, as my parents did, as well as my wife and I.

the welfare of children.

BALONEY!!!!!!!!!!
    Here we go with this," For the children" mentality. Like if you're for guns and the 2nd amendment, you must not like kids malarky

Doctors need to just shut up and lose the agenda.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    AAP has its opinion; I have mine. I live in my house; AAP doesn't. Theirs doesn't count.
    The opinion that has better access to Congress is the one that counts in the long run.

Michael
    Hopyard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I still think one of the best analogies I've heard regarding gun safety is the car:

When I get in a car, I put on a seat belt. So now I'm safe, right? Of course not.

A myriad of other things have to come together to make me and keep me safe, including: staying within speeds safe for road conditions, watching out for other drivers, obeying the traffic laws and signs such as a Stop sign, driving within the capabilities of the car, paying attention to the road and conditions and other drivers .... this list goes on and on.

Just as the single act of putting on a seat belt does not automatically guarantee my safety in a car, many things have to come together to make gun storage in my home safe. You know this list: locks, locations, presence or abscence of ammo, and the single most important thing a family can do to ensure their safety with guns in the house: educate all that live there, visit there, spend the night there, bring their friends there and in general anyone that might come around and spend time at that house.
    Avned likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The opinion that has better access to Congress is the one that counts in the long run.

Michael
    I might steal that and use it as a signature line some time. So true.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    AAP has its opinion; I have mine. I live in my house; AAP doesn't. Theirs doesn't count.
    Amen! With five children in my home under the age of 7, I think I'd like to protect them with more than a stick.

Gun Safety Questions? Ask Your Pediatrician

Kids are safer when put in a round room with rubber walls. But that isn't how most people want to live.

It's all about educating your kids. And properly securing the firearm.

- Todd
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    What always irks me about these things is that while wrapping themselves in "the children" they are taking it upon themselves to judge what is and is not "reasonable". Are cars dangerous? Yes, but kids need to get places. Is gun ownership dangerous, yes, but who really needs a gun. That is their mind set and that is what drives their agenda. They see little value in gun ownership and therefore it is an unnecessary risk. You do not need guns therefore banning them has no negative impact while saving "the children".
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links