Gun Safety Questions? Ask Your Pediatrician

This is a discussion on Gun Safety Questions? Ask Your Pediatrician within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The piece speaks for itself, with lots to gnaw on: AAP: Gun-Free Home Is Safest for Kids...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Gun Safety Questions? Ask Your Pediatrician

VIP Member

Gun Safety Questions? Ask Your Pediatrician

The piece speaks for itself, with lots to gnaw on:
    AAP: Gun-Free Home Is Safest for Kids
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Taking my 5 year old plinking tomorrow with the Pellet Gun and .22 Ruger Single Six. This will be her first time. I can't wait. Then I"m off in the woods to hunt for white tails.

Have a good weekend y'all!
    Jim

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    AAP has its opinion; I have mine. I live in my house; AAP doesn't. Theirs doesn't count.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Households without cars are probably considered safer too, and that sounds just as dumb to me. My family is safer because there are guns in my house! Anyone coming in with bad intentions are the only ones at risk!
    ccw9mm and bigmacque like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Should ban skateboards, curling irons, and most youth sports as well.

How about this, EDUCATE your young'uns, know who their friends are, know where your kids are, and get INVOLVED in their lives.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Households without cars are probably considered safer too, and that sounds just as dumb to me. My family is safer because there are guns in my house! Anyone coming in with bad intentions are the only ones at risk!
    That was my first though too.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Thus, the guidance, published online in Pediatrics and released just days before of the Academy's annual meeting, continues to say that the most effective way to keep children safe from firearm-related injuries and deaths is to keep guns out of homes and communities.
    Sure, if there were no guns at all then people wouldn't find danger from them. But that ain't gonna happen.

FAR, far better to properly train a person to (a) eliminate the fascination, (b) know the risks and function, (c) know what to do when a deadly weapon is found in a situation where it could pose a threat (ie, the child's alone without adult supervision), and (d) be capable of employing the tool when appropriate and necessary (ie, the 12yr old girl in the news who defended herself against home invasion the other day).

It's wishful thinking, to hold out hope that there will ever be a world without weaponry of any kind. Similar to the blind faith that dial-a-prayer (calling 911/emergency) is going to help a person survive until the cavalry arrives.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Bucket-free and tricycle-free homes are even safer than gun-free homes.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Bucket-free and tricycle-free homes are even safer than gun-free homes.
    So are elevation-free, step-free, hard-surface-free and sharp-pointy-object-free homes. (Gotta get me one of those.)
    msgt/ret and Avned like this.

VIP Member
    I would tell them their opinion means NOTHING until they are done "practicing" medicine, and have it down to a science, buty then again even science has been proven wrong at times.
    Stupid social engineers.

Hijacking The Second Amendment

They should read this article.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I grew up in a house with lots of guns and most of them loaded.. Six brothers and one Sister. No one got shot, wounded or killed in our house. Some of us got spanked when we decided we could handle the guns without supervision but no one got shot...

VIP Member
    Most organizations (outside the sporting industries) are against guns. However if you talk to the rank and file members, many don't agree with the board of directors position. IMO they are delving into things that are outside their scope of expertise, and should keep their mouths shut on the subject.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I don't know why folks get so upset about all of this stuff.

I've had the same primary care doc for 17-18 years, and have dealt with quite a few others over
    my long life. Once you get it in your head that they work for you, you can put the rest of the crap in
    a more reasonable perspective. Would you give a hoot if your plumber saw your gun safe and
    commented that he thought it wasn't safe to have guns in a house with kids? No. You just wouldn't hire the
    guy back, or you would ignore him.

BTW, I think there are aspects of their basic message which are worth paying attention to. They are
    addressing risk-benefit ratios, your chance of a child accidentally getting a hold of a weapon and
    harming himself or a friend (a common enough event), v the chance of actually needing to defend against
    a home invasion using a firearm.

If there is an anti-gun Agenda, and there may well be though they deny it, well too bad for us. We have our own
    agenda and organizations and means for countering. That's how democracy works.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    BTW, I think there are aspects of their basic message which are worth paying attention to. They are
    addressing risk-benefit ratios, your chance of a child accidentally getting a hold of a weapon and harming himself or a friend (a common enough event), v the chance of actually needing to defend against a home invasion using a firearm.
    Disagree, mostly. Ostensibly, sure, the concern's for health and welfare of everyone. But if it were really just about risk-benefit ratios, there IMO there would be a long questionnaire with all sorts of risk points addressed, instead of laser focus on the one or two "usual suspects."

A far greater risk is li'l Johnnie getting hold of the Ajax cleanser, or similar, or any one of a dozen sharp, pointy things from the garage.

It's about reasonableness, agendas, expertise, and keeping the patient/doc visit focused on what needs to be focused on. And when firearms is the only intent question asked, it's about the demonizing, not overall health.

[QUOTE=Hopyard;2425748Would you give a hoot if your plumber saw your gun safe and
    commented that he thought it wasn't safe to have guns in a house with kids? No. You just wouldn't hire the
    guy back, or you would ignore him. [/QUOTE]

Personally my big problem is that the article says they actively lobby for renewed assault weapons bans and various other pieces of legislation that would definitely strip us of many of our freedoms when it comes to weapons. The "this is how democracy works" comment carries no weight with me. The Constitution does not authorize any of what they stand for on this issue, and they have absolutely no business sticking their noses into it. I want to know about pediatric medicine, I'll go to them and gladly listen to their opinion. I want to know about guns, I'll go to someone who actually knows what they're talking about on that subject. For them to not only run their mouths about something they don't understand, and say things that are questionable or just plain untrue, and then to try to get laws passed on top of it....outrageous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links