First bolt gun. Help me choose? - Page 2

First bolt gun. Help me choose?

This is a discussion on First bolt gun. Help me choose? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Remington 770 - Spend the extra money for the 700. Dont buy at Walmart. Savage Axis - Spend the extra fifty dollars for the bigger ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Remington 770 - Spend the extra money for the 700. Dont buy at Walmart.
    Savage Axis - Spend the extra fifty dollars for the bigger model. I think its the 116. Excellent gun. Sports Authority had the Stainless steel rifles with scope 399
    Mossberg 100 ATR - Nice cheap gun.

Well I tried out a few of these. I had trouble with both the Axis and the 770 and it was the action. The 770 sticks really bad. I tried several in the store and couldn't cycle the bolt back and forth without it binding on all three. The Axis bolt has such a strong spring (or whatever it is that holds it closed) that I couldn't disengage the bolt with it at my shoulder. I had all three of those I tried twisted sideways lifting up on that handle. Both those are out. I did like the feel of the Mossberg and the Marlin XL7 and both had an adjustable trigger, but no one in the area has the Marlin in .308 so it is also out of the running. I also tried out the Ruger and liked it quite a bit but it is $350 without a scope. With tax and a WalMart scope I'm looking at $100 more than I will have before season is over. And I don't want to think about how many years it would take to save up enough to blow $700 on a gun.

What do you think. Stave off paying something and get the Ruger hoping to be able to pick up a scope in the next couple weeks or go for the Mossberg with scope that I can buy outright now for $100 less?
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

are you going to be hunting at ranges that require a scope for clean kills? If not, I'd recommend grabbing as good of a rifle as you can with what funding you have available now, and give yourself time to save up for a good quality scope.

Another alternative would be to bail on the bolt gun idea and grab a Handi Rifle (Single shot, break-over) in whatever caliber you want for around $250. That would leave you more money for picking up a decent scope. Check around on burris fullfield II scopes and you could probably find one for the Handi Rifle and still make your budget.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If the Mossberg will do what you want, Buy it, and replace the scope next year! A good inexpensive [but not cheap] scope is the Weaver K6. They are a fixed power scope so the only moving parts are the windage and elevation adjustments. And they have very good lens coatings. Weaver put their money where it matters in these. DR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links