First bolt gun. Help me choose?

This is a discussion on First bolt gun. Help me choose? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I am wanting to buy my first bolt gun and am havin trouble making up my mind which one is better so I decided ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, I am wanting to buy my first bolt gun and am havin trouble making up my mind which one is better so I decided to get some advice. I am looking to spend about $300 for rifle and scope. I have put together a list of potentials but if I am missing a good choice let me know. What should I get?

Remington 770
    Savage Axis
    Mossberg 100 ATR
    Marlin XT
    Ruger American 308
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

I will say, from experience, the Mossberg 100ATR is a decent rifle, good value for your money, but I hated mine after the first few outings. Best accuracy I ever got out of it was just over 1" groups at 100 yards, my buddy had a Savage Axis in the same caliber, shooting the exact same load out of his rifle I could shoot groups under 3/4". Next bolt gun I buy is going to be a Savage.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkiejt View Post
    Hello, I am wanting to buy my first bolt gun and am havin trouble making up my mind which one is better so I decided to get some advice. I am looking to spend about $300 for rifle and scope. I have put together a list of potentials but if I am missing a good choice let me know. What should I get?

Remington 770
    Savage Axis
    Mossberg 100 ATR
    Marlin XT
    Ruger American 308
    In that price range, all I can say is good luck. From what I have seen, that is low end on just the rifle itself. Figure another $100. and up for a decent scope. You might find a used gun/scope combo in that price range, but even that is doubtful.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You could probably get a rifle for $300, but you're pushing it to get both for that price.

If your a serious hunter, the rule of thumb is to pay as much for optics as you do for the rifle.

I've never shot a Remington 770, but I've read enough negative reviews to steer me away.

One rifle that isn't on your list is Savage/Stevens. Savage has an excellent reputation for accuracy. A few years ago, I bought a Stevens 200 in .223. Stevens is Savage's budget line. It has the same bolt and barrel, but no Accu-trigger and an ugly gray stock.

I paid $350 for the rifle, then I sacrilegiously put a $50 Simmons scope on it. This was going to be primarily a rabbit gun, so I went pretty cheap.

I've had it now for about 3 years. The scope still holds zero, although the glass isn't the clearest, and the rifle shoots SUB-MOA with my handloads. It shoots MOA with off the shelf bulk ammo, too.

The Stevens line includes all the popular hunting calibers. It's not pretty, but it hasn't let me down.

ETA: what is the primary role for this bolt gun? The reason that I ask is that for your budget you could get a tack driving, fun to shoot, cheap to shoot rimfire.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Your budget is way too low for a decent rifle and scope. It's just the way it is.

You may be able to, if you stumble across the right deal, get a nice rifle for that price.

I spent more than that just for my scope, and it's a just a middle of the road scope that fits my needs. It's by no means fancy.

Honestly, your best bet is to save your money, and get the equipment that suits your needs. As far as rifles go, you need to hold them, and see which ones fit you. When a long gun fits perfectly against your shoulder as you are looking down the barrel you will know. It's hard to explain, but it makes you a better shooter when you have a gun that fits right. It's a combination of things, mostly just an extra level of faith in the gun. Trusting your firearm means confidence, and confidence is required for better shooting.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Best accuracy I ever got out of it was just over 1" groups at 100 yards,..."

For an economy rifle, that ain't bad.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, the top three I have found with Bushnell scopes for $300. This will be my first bolt rifle for paper and deer. I am leaning toward the 770 because of the reviews. There are a lot of reviews saying its crap but very few of those I have seen actually have owned it. The reviews of it that are positive are owners. Spending more isn't really an option, with as many months as it takes to build up this much I'd never be able to spend $300 just on a scope. I'm not a professional sniper. I'm not looking for a nail driver that I shoot every week. Just the occasional shoot and to add to my cycle of deer rifles.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

If you have other deer hunting rifles, then you should wait. Why rush something when there is no need to?

No one is saying you have to spend a fortune on a scope. It's just that a lot of the decent, and by decent I don't mean nice, ones tend to start at the $200 range. Depending on what you want, or need, the cost goes up.

Be patient. Good things come to those that wait.

If you don't need it right now and have no problem with used guns you sometimes find great bargains after deer season. Lots of folks will go buy themselves a nice hunting rig then when they find out that sitting out in the woods letting the ticks suck the blood out of them is not their idea of fun the sell the rifles of cheap. Used to pick up some nice buys after hunting season was over. You need to be lucky but it does happen.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The guns you will see new with a scope for under $300 are entry level guns with scopes that are more suited for a BB gun. With that said I shoot entry level guns all the time. And I use cheap scopes for some purposes. the two rifles that don't have cheap glass on them are both dedicated hunting rigs. If the deer of a lifetime walks out in front of me and I didn't get the shot because of lenses fogged up, or I couldn't make out the details in the light of dusk, Id be ticked off.
    I use entry level guns all the time. But I polish there actions, and triggers to make them very close to their high end siblings.
    if I had to pay someone to do this for me it would make my Howa cost as much as its Weatherby cousin. With scopes you are not just buying a name, your getting lenses, Lens coatings, and precision adjusters.

all of the guns on your list can be good hunting guns, but probably not with the scopes that came on them. DR

I do have other deer hunting rifles but the most powerful is my SKS. I could probably borrow my Dad's Spanish M1916 if I could find some 7.62x51NATO hunting rounds for it but I still wouldn't have a scope. I've been keeping an eye out for an accurate bolt gun I could afford for the last decade and here I've finally found one. I will go by the pawn shop again and see what they have but their wall is usually full of just junk. For example, a barely functional M1 Carbine that looks like its been in every war for the last 60 years for $600.

Get a Mosin Nagant, modify the bolt handle (or buy one) and put a scope on it.
    nagant mount.jpg
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I really prefer a Remington 700 myself because they just seem to feel right to me ,but. I picked up a Savage Axis over a year ago for something to throw in the truck and not worry about dents , ding and scratches. It was $225 less than a 700 in the same caliber,stock, finish..... It turned out to be a great shooter. Im very pleased with its accuracy.
    As someone else posted most of the scopes that come on combos are usually pretty low quality.
    You may also look on Armslist dot com for a nice used setup... its the craigslist of firearms and costs nothing to use.

If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods in your area, check them out. They have a Remington 700 on sale, with scope, this week for $449. A bit more than your $300, but the 700 is better than the 770 as far as I know, and the scope isn't too terrible for a starter. Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

The savage axis guns shoot pretty well for cheap rifles with a few really simple tweaks. However, they are $300 before you put a good rail, scope, and rings on them. Add a sightron SII or a vortex viper with a decent base and rings, and you're at $700.00. I'd hold out for something like a weatherby vanguard s2 with that same scope on it. That would be another $150.00 but you'd have a very capable rig for anything other than prolonged / sustained fire. The hunting contour barrels do start to string a good bit with sustained fire, especially in the hotter cartridges.

sent via iCarry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links