this may sound like a stupid qeustion

This is a discussion on this may sound like a stupid qeustion within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi i'm from England,but around 4 years ago i went to California drove to Tombstone and around and about-as you can imagine lots of desert,i ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By wmhawth

Thread: this may sound like a stupid qeustion

Hi i'm from England,but around 4 years ago i went to California drove to Tombstone and around and about-as you can imagine lots of desert,i was wondering who owns it,is it own privately by individuals or by the state,how would you within the law shoot on it ie say 500-1000yds with a 308 if in the shooters opinion it was safe an would not annoy anyone close by,i do appreciate different states have different laws and in which state's are not gun friendly and which ones are?,and i do not realy know to much about your president but is he trying to take gun's away from you or do you think its just cheap talk to win vote's-sorry if i sound rude but i do not intend to offend,Engish Vince

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    This site is full of "stupid" questions with some very smart answers. I think you have some valid questions with difficult answers. As to where one can shoot, generally it's best with owner permission, be it privately or state owned.

I'd rather not discuss the politics of any presidential candidate. For one, it gets threads locked down in a hurry; and two, I've found that with both religion and politics, the common thought is: regardless of one's personal views--you're right and everyone else is wrong.

As for the fight to retain (and exercise) our Second Amendment rights, it will be an ongoing battle regardless of what person or party is in the White House. If the battle ends, the fight is lost.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Hi i'm from England,but around 4 years ago i went to California drove to Tombstone and around and about-as you can imagine lots of desert,i was wondering who owns it,is it own privately by individuals or by the state,how would you within the law shoot on it ie say 500-1000yds with a 308 if in the shooters opinion it was safe an would not annoy anyone close by,i do appreciate different states have different laws and in which state's are not gun friendly and which ones are?,and i do not realy know to much about your president but is he trying to take gun's away from you or do you think its just cheap talk to win vote's-sorry if i sound rude but i do not intend to offend,Engish Vince
    Not a stupid question at all. When driving through the deserts of western/southwestern United States much of the open desert you will see is government, BLM (Bureau Of Land Management) owned. This isn't always the case and before taking target practice with your firearm it's best to check the maps to make sure you aren't on private property. I have personally done a lot of shooting for practice on BLM land.

With regard to our gun rights in the US, I believe if it ever happens that laws change to approximate anything like in the UK it will be brought about by the evolution of public opinion rather than the actions of one president. I hope I'm not around for that.
    sorry if i sound rude but i do not intend to offend,Engish Vince
    Not at all. Hope you'll visit the US again. Bring cash or credit cards.
    Doodle and oneshot like this.

Never no bad questions abt guns...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

There are no stupid questions, there are only stupid answers...just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    ... as you can imagine lots of desert,i was wondering who owns it,is it own privately by individuals or by the state,how would you within the law shoot on it ie say 500-1000yds with a 308 if in the shooters opinion it was safe an would not annoy anyone close by
    Well, first of all, generally all the land that isn't otherwise posted "Gov't Property" (ie, a military installation), that isn't a National or State park, and isn't private property is basically owned by the People, not the state. And technically even the Parks are owned by the people, but held and operated in trust by the governing agency charged with its upkeep.

The best example is Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land, as others have mentioned. On such "People's'" land, it's okay to be shooting in more-remote areas, so long as others are safe from harm and so long as a person cleans up the mess. Of course, there are the bullets left on the land, which is occasionally why even the BLM has designated spots (where such messes can be congregated). All the better to be shooting into a taller bank, particularly at a somewhat common shooting spot, to keep the long-term bullet (ie, lead) hazard to an absolute minimum.

Lots of the rifle-oriented discussion forums have discussions going that identify common shooting spots on public lands. It's a good way to double-check the info that a person has gotten from the BLM website and area postings.

The trick is to know if it's private property. Can't always be sure, easily. Maps, maps, maps, as others have suggested.

As for talk being cheap: exactly so. But that's to be expected. No surprise, there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A lot of my friends in other states have ask me why I stay in CA, Its politics are crazy, its gun laws are hard to understand, etc... But one of the great things about it is 60% of the state is publicly owned and open to all for recreational uses. So more that half of the state is open for me to hike fish, hunt or just shoot on. Others have said check your maps to confirm that you are on open areas but GPS has come into its own on this. They have many good programs available to know that you are in open areas. Also you will find that Government agency's that are responsible for these areas are very helpful at getting you into areas that you can shoot on. DR

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Some of that land is Indian reservation, and you can get in a lot of trouble for being on it, never mind shooting. You need maps, for sure.

Some land is "public", but has barb wire fences because it is leased to or just grazed by cattle ranchers. The "No Trespassing" signs may even be illegal. Those signs would not be there if the local law did not support the rancher. Don't bother to argue, just head down the road.

Yes, every square inch of land in the US is owned - either by individuals, by corporations, or by government entities (local, state, Federal, or by Indians).

As another post pointed out, on your drive to Tombstone you crossed a lot of open land. Ownership of the land you saw covered the full gamut - some Indian reservation, some Federal land managed by the BLM, lots of privately-owned land, and likely some Arizona State Trust land as well.

Living in AZ, with a lot of open land around, you really do need to know who the land belongs to if you're headed out to shoot in the desert. As pointed out in another post, recreational shooting on reservations is pretty much prohibited by non-tribal members, although hunting rights may by obtained by lease or license (usually pricey). Nearly all of the areas open to recreational shooting in AZ are Federal lands under BLM control.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    My property is 1900 feet long, so thats around 630+yards.
    If I wanted to, I could shoot my rifle that distance.
    I don't really have one accurate enough to do so tho'.................

And yes, our President is, shall we say less than supportive of the idea and notion of firearms ownership by the citizens of our country,

I'll leave it at that.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    A source to locate who controls the land you want to travel, shoot on or camp on is the USGS (United States Geological Survey). Just look up the topographical map for the area you want to visit. Not only will it show the topographical features of the area it will show things such as BLM land controlled by timber companies or reservation land.

Welcome to the USGS - U.S. Geological Survey
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks guys that has been very interesting-now i'm just a little wiser-if you guys want to know anything you only got to ask.English Vince

VIP Member
    An inquiry at a local gun store could be helpful in pointing out a legal place to shoot as well.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sponsored Links