Emergency prepardness rifles for your family? What do you have planned?

This is a discussion on Emergency prepardness rifles for your family? What do you have planned? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been thinking a lot about getting more prepared for emergencies recently. Most of my emphasis going on food and water storage/preparation. However I do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Emergency prepardness rifles for your family? What do you have planned?

Sponsor

I've been thinking a lot about getting more prepared for emergencies recently. Most of my emphasis going on food and water storage/preparation. However I do feel the need to pick up an extra rifle to keep on hand for my wife. I'm very fond of the AR-15 platform given my familiarity with the M16/M4, I have a DD 14.5" which is my go to gun. The question I have is what kind of rifles do you have planned for your family to use should it become necessary? Would you drop $1000 on an AR build or go with a cheaper alternative? I like the idea of parts and ammunition interchangeability, but am trying to weight the cost against other alternatives.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Clay

As far as the family members go, they've all picked out their own rifles. AK-47, SKS, etc. I happen to like the AR platform the best, so that's what I've chosen. I currently have two AR's. One is for close-mid range, and the other is a dedicated long range rifle.

As far as dropping $1000 on a rifle, I won't do it. I bought an M&P Sport for my first AR, and I built my second one. Both have been completely reliable. The M&P cost me $700 with 5 boxes of ammo, and I currently have somewhere around $800 into my build rifle. If you want a nice rifle, building it is the way to go. Get it the way YOU want it from the start, rather than buying one and changing things out to make it more comfortable for you (or in this case, your wife).

Stayed away from the AR/AK platforms and I am sticking to my lever action 30/30. Can fire fast and can be used for hunting if necessary. Easy of use for all family members. Drawback is round capacity. Thinking of getting an AR, but funds are tight. So I will stick with the 30/30 and a good 22lr for now
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    Maintaining and resupplying are the two major issues that you would have to look at with either the M4 or AK rifles.

5.56 and 7.62 x 39 are fairly common calibers but you would have to rely on what you would have on hand in the beginning. Both rifles are fairly easy to maintain with a few simple spare parts on hand. I also own several 7.62 Nato rifles which would serve a longer range role if needed. Again stick to standard calibers and have an adequate supply ready if needed.

You do not have to spend $1000 on a decent AR. M&P's, WW, Stag, CMMG all offer rifles well under that price and a perfectly fine.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Just a thought. You have an AR for your use, perhaps a 12 gauge shotgun for the wife. Both are good for defensive or SHTF situations, but the shotgun gives the added/more practical hunting weapon for a bug out gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I agree that a shotgun is the best brother to your rifle. I would recommend 12ga pump action. Easy to use and maintain. Ammo easy to find and not too expensive. A good mix of 00 - #4 shot and a few slugs.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I'll put it this way...

My daughters are getting 10/22's for Christmas!

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I don't have a family, but I think I've got a fairly well-rounded little arsenal for myself: M&P 15, Remington 870, Ruger 10/22 (plus a Glock 30).

Wife will have a 10/22 rifle, P228 and a Khar
    I will have an AR chambered for .308 and a P228
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Stayed away from the AR/AK platforms and I am sticking to my lever action 30/30. Can fire fast and can be used for hunting if necessary. Easy of use for all family members. Drawback is round capacity. Thinking of getting an AR, but funds are tight. So I will stick with the 30/30 and a good 22lr for now
    I have been thinking along the same line as you. Even though I am retired military, I was a squid and never learned the AR platform. I hear that used lever 30-30's can be found in pawn shops for around $200 which is great since I am more concerned with paying off debts than I am building an arsenal. Right now my only long gun is a 12 gauge shotgun. Next will be a .22 rifle, then a lever 30-30. Once I have my debt level and credit where I want it THEN I'm going all in on an AR.

If the S does HTF before I can buy an AR/AK, hopefully I'll be able to pick up one off the bodies! LOL
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just a thought. You have an AR for your use, perhaps a 12 gauge shotgun for the wife. Both are good for defensive or SHTF situations, but the shotgun gives the added/more practical hunting weapon for a bug out gun.
    I don't know about a 12 gauge shotgun for the wife. She's so small that semi auto pistols jam on her from limp wristing. I think a 20 gauge shotgun, .22LR, or AR might be better suited for many women. If I had an AR and shotgun, I would train her on the AR and I would use the shotgun.

Before someone wails over that statement: Sure, women could handle the shotgun, so I'm not saying they can't. But... can they effectively make quick follow up shots with one? Rack a round and shoot at moving targets as fast as they can rack the slide? Shotguns are heavy and kick like a mule. Some guys would have a hard time with that. I have been on a combat shotgun course. The women in the class had a difficult time and would shoot a round, rub the shoulder, rack another round, aim, shoot, rub the shoulder again. In a defensive situation that wouldn't be a good thing.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Let your wife pick out the rifle she wants and is most comfortable with. After all, she's the one who will be using it. Everybody has different budgetary constraints, but keep in mind what it's purpose...to keep your wife alive.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I would agree generally with the 12 ga sentiment. I have shot a lot and those 12s hit pretty hard ( as I've gotten older, I have gravitated to the 16 and 20 ga). Many women can "take it" but the quickness of follow up shots is compromised. I'm 5'5" and have a devil of a time reaching pump shotgun grips (my arm is straight out just gripping much less racking the slide. A 20ga "youth" pump is much better and not too expensive. Or there's the semi-auto route. Just some thoughts from a female shooter...

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I don't know about a 12 gauge shotgun for the wife. She's so small that semi auto pistols jam on her from limp wristing. I think a 20 gauge shotgun, .22LR, or AR might be better suited for many women. If I had an AR and shotgun, I would train her on the AR and I would use the shotgun.

Before someone wails over that statement: Sure, women could handle the shotgun, so I'm not saying they can't. But... can they effectively make quick follow up shots with one? Rack a round and shoot at moving targets as fast as they can rack the slide? Shotguns are heavy and kick like a mule. Some guys would have a hard time with that. I have been on a combat shotgun course. The women in the class had a difficult time and would shoot a round, rub the shoulder, rack another round, aim, shoot, rub the shoulder again. In a defensive situation that wouldn't be a good thing.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I've got 2 ARs in 5.56 and 9mm plus a Ruger 10/22.

I have a Beretta semi auto 12 gauge. Not much kick with birdshot at all. I don't think I've tried #4 buck with it yet. Can't shoot a semi auto from the hip. Won't cycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links