Do you believe in a "break in period" for a new gun? - Page 3

Do you believe in a "break in period" for a new gun?

This is a discussion on Do you believe in a "break in period" for a new gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If it doesn't work out of the box, then something is seriously wrong...Now, if during my excitement of opening my new present to myself, and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Do you believe in a "break in period" for a new gun?

If it doesn't work out of the box, then something is seriously wrong...Now, if during my excitement of opening my new present to myself, and inspecting said present I notice an over abundance of "packing grease"...then I might clean my new present before firing, but I don't consider that breaking it in. I expect it to "run" from the gitgo and to only improve over time...I reckon I'm just spoiled by my Glocks... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

My Kel-Tec Su-16 rifle had a pretty rough action out of the box and several FTEs over the first 100 rounds or so but has since smoothed out tremendously and works great. Should that be necessary? Probably not but I had plenty of fun breaking it in.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

some guns require no break in....aka Glocks.
    some guns require meticulous break in aka Kahr.

....read the instructions before taking to the range and proclaiming your gun a jam-o-matic lest you make a fool of yourself on internet forums like this one.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    If it doesn't work out of the box, then something is seriously wrong.
    Every single firearm from ten different brands over a 20+ year period have failed to "work" perfectly for me, out of the box for the first several hundred rounds: A S&W 442 Airweight revolver. Every pistol has had some jam or other. This includes 1911's, mouse guns, HK/CZ/Browning/others, various calibers, ones for which the manufacturer dictated a "break-in" minimum, and ones for which the manufacturer claimed it should work as-claimed right out of the box. But then, that's only my experience. Others have experienced great-to-perfect reliability, depending on the person.

IMO, it seems to me that the only possible explanation is: deficiency in the design that could otherwise jam-proof cycling, variation in the build-spec (ie, via machinery/tooling/fitting) and failure to completely prep each and every gun off the line. The ensured outcome: less-than-perfect results, by design. Until makers are willing to go the distance with each and every example they create, some of them will have tolerance-stacking that results in perfection, while others will be mostly reliable, while some will have tolerance-stacking that results in a "lemon." Being mechanical devices, and seeing as how it's not cost-effective for any mainstream maker to produce a "perfect" weapon the market could afford, I'd say we'll continue to have such variations, lower prep, and the results of it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Any person that takes a pistol out of the box and trusts their life with it without firing it is a fool.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^ I don't believe that was the topic. It about having to fire a firearm "X" number of time to make it work correctly, or the "requirement" to ensure it does.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Any person that takes a pistol out of the box and trusts their life with it without firing it is a fool.
    ^^^ I don't believe that was the topic. It about having to fire a firearm "X" number of time to make it work correctly, or the "requirement" to ensure it does.
    And yet, that's at the logical end of insistence that a break-in period isn't necessary before perfect operation.
    deadguy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And yet, that's at the logical end of insistence that a break-in period isn't necessary before perfect operation.
    exactly.

And to answer the OP's question directly, yes, I believe all firearms need to be broken in. Only the owner can determine what that amount is.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Tell les baer a handguns should need a break in and he will tell you our wise. Probably take his pistol back. @0 years from now you will still like those tight when new pistols. I don't think kahrs need much breakin . I feels that more for the average non small gun shooter. The two I have never missed a lick. No issues at all.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Tell les baer a handguns should need a break in and he will tell you our wise. Probably take his pistol back. @0 years from now you will still like those tight when new pistols. I don't think kahrs need much breakin . I feels that more for the average non small gun shooter. The two I have never missed a lick. No issues at all.
    Huh?

Many other things in life that cost lots of money need a break in period, stands to reason guns would too. Take a brand new sports bike - a precise and high end machine - when you change the oil for the first time after about 800 miles you will see tons of small pieces of metal dust come out. Just the engine "breaking in". I am certainly no gunsmith, but I would think when you have lots of metal rubbing together at high speed that a little bit of use would smooth things out.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Iam_ Thats what I get for try'n to type one handed and petting one of your pain in the butt cats at the same time. As you said most things need some run time to get just right. Heck even most of our vehicals run better after 10,000 miles. I had bought several firearms off guys that came straight to the range from the gun shop and had nothing but problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    According to my dealer, a 1911 Kimber requires about 1000 rounds through it to be smooth and functioning. I personally think it is crazy to pay a premium for a Kimber and have to shoot 1000 rounds of ammo... just stooopid to me...
    I have heard this and yet it isn't my experience. Kimber suggests 500 hundred rounds of ammo for the break-in period. I have a brand new Kimber Ultra Carry II that I tested out this last weekend. I have so far fired 300 hundred rounds with only 2 malfunctions, which can't really be blamed on the gun. Both times my the weapon was being shot by one of my kids (ages 12 and 10), and I suspect the cause was limp wristing. This gun has so far performed flawlessly, and that is even with the stock magazine. This gun is absolute nirvana to shoot. I think the hype about kimber failures is just that: hype. It's either that, or maybe I just got the one good one. At this point I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. It's easy to shoot. I can generally hit what I aim at, and the trigger is absolute perfection right out of the box. What's not to like?

It's my belief that a break-in period on anything with lubricated, metal parts that runs fast is a legitimate standard and precaution. It's not only for guns, but manufacturers recommend a break in on new boat engines, X number of miles on transmissions on certain pickup trucks before you tow, etc..

I don't believe a firearm with a break-in recommendation from the manufacturer necessarily means that it's not going to work within that time, rather than it will just start running its best after that time, allowing all of the new parts to wear smooth. JMO
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

New firearms that "don't require a break-in period", have no break-in period because they were broken-in for you at the factory.

Baers and Wilsons and Kimbers are tested extensively before shipping. Glock is known for putting extra rounds through their weapons before they go.

They're not magic pistols, they're just slightly less new than you thought, so they run better.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I have put several hundred rounds through my wife's new Sig P238. It seems to run nicer now...I don't know if it's the gun or me that's been "broken in"...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links