Do you believe in a "break in period" for a new gun?

This is a discussion on Do you believe in a "break in period" for a new gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And what exactly does this mean? I have yet to find a new pistol that isn't great out of the box magically smooth itself out ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Do you believe in a "break in period" for a new gun?

Do you believe in a "break in period" for a new gun?

And what exactly does this mean? I have yet to find a new pistol that isn't great out of the box magically smooth itself out after 500 rounds.

Or does this mean a period where the shooter gets more comfortable with the pistol, experiments with ammo, etc.?

2. Remove Ads

For revolvers no.

Some semi autos do require a break in period.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I've seen 1911 pistols that didn't feed well until they'd been through a couple hundred rounds. Outside of that I think it is just people talking about all pistols as if they were 1911s.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I think it takes some time to get things working together, including the shooter holding the gun.
    Ksgunner likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Believe in a break-in? Absolutely.

I've had far too many semi-auto pistols fail to perfectly cycle various rounds to believe in any magic related to the acronym "NIB." Untried = untested = uncertain. No real way around that, except to test it until fairly certain. That's about what it means to me.

Different guns will perform differently in any break-in testing. Only a couple of pistols have eaten practically everything I've given them, with only early rounds having the occasional bobble. The most-reliable of these is the H&K P2000SK 9mm; the CZ P-01 9mm; and, once it broke in, the Browning BDM 9mm. Everything else has performed far less reliably and basically required an extended break-in period, to loosen up sufficiently to eat everything it was fed.
    bigmacque and Eagleks like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    ccw9 brings up an excellent point: spending some time to make sure the gun handles the ammo you like is a good idea. That can easily be defined as a break-in period / test.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I believe in breaking me in, not the weapon. I think I require time with a new gun to become intimately familiar with it and its operation. But I believe a quality weapon fucntions day one.
    foxytwo likes this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    But I believe a quality weapon fucntions day one.
    I certainly believe a quality weapon should function Day One. Sadly, that's not been my experience four times out of five. Hence, the testing regimen.
    Eagleks likes this.

Unless it's a fairly tight target pistol or many of the super-tight 1911s out there, the weapon shouldn't need a break in period at all. That's a load of nonsense, and if I had a semi-auto that actually needed to be "broken in" to be reliable, I would not trust it with my life. Matter of fact, even my 1911s (a Springfield, a Colt, and a SIG) haven't really needed to be broken in. They're all working just fine right now, like they did the day I got them. As far as you getting used to the gun, or verifying that your chosen ammo works well, that's a different story. I wouldn't classify an "acquaintance" period with a break-in period, though the former will be needed with any unfamiliar weapon you add to your collection.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    And what exactly does this mean? I have yet to find a new pistol that isn't great out of the box magically smooth itself out after 500 rounds.

Or does this mean a period where the shooter gets more comfortable with the pistol, experiments with ammo, etc.?
    Both time to get used to the gun, and time for the springs to wear in a bit.. New springs can be a little stiffer than after they've been used a thousand times or so. How much different will depend on a lot of factors in metals, use, spring weight, etc.. If you want the gun to be smoother, give it to a gun smith to fit and polish out the contact surfaces for you instead.

VIP Member
    When I get a new acquisition, I immediately run about two hundred rounds through it. The break-in period is thus completed.
    foxytwo and fail_187 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Ponchsox, here's an interesting discussion thread from awhile back, on one aspect of a testing/break-in period: Initial Range Reports / Low Round-Count Reports.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think any product I pay hundreds of dollars for should work right "out of the box." Period. I wouldn't accept a Mr. Coffee that needed 12 pots brewed thru it before it made coffee right.

But the fact remains, and it seems with the higher the price, some makes do require a break-in. Blame some of it on the lack of skilled machinists or the expense to use them, but surfaces can be rough, things may catch, and sometimes a little wear makes things better.

I find it irritating when things don't work, especially new things, regardless of price. I wouldn't expect a Glock to need breaking in; I would with a 1911. If I were buying a 1911, I'd expect a few issues at first. I'd also expect it to live up to the 1911 reputation at some point.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just to wear off the high spots and decrease friction, that is the reason for break in.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think any product I pay hundreds of dollars for should work right "out of the box." Period. I wouldn't accept a Mr. Coffee that needed 12 pots brewed thru it before it made coffee right.

But the fact remains, and it seems with the higher the price, some makes do require a break-in. Blame some of it on the lack of skilled machinists or the expense to use them, but surfaces can be rough, things may catch, and sometimes a little wear makes things better.

I find it irritating when things don't work, especially new things, regardless of price. I wouldn't expect a Glock to need breaking in; I would with a 1911. If I were buying a 1911, I'd expect a few issues at first. I'd also expect it to live up to the 1911 reputation at some point.
    Don't ever, ever buy a pair of speakers.
    They take a couple hundred hours to break in and loosen up the spiders and moving parts of the drivers, and during that period, can drastically change in sound.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links