This is a very BAD crown on my Mossberg 817 17HMR

This is a discussion on This is a very BAD crown on my Mossberg 817 17HMR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; under 40 yards for squirrel hunting (Still hard to get head shots though), it seem fine until I decided to shoot her at 100 yard ...

under 40 yards for squirrel hunting (Still hard to get head shots though), it seem fine until I decided to shoot her at 100 yard targets. 3-4" at best. 100 yard for any 17HMR rifle is CAKE really. Not consistent powder burn marks at tip of barrel. Email mossberg this picture and how it affected the accuracy, but haven't heard jack back from them yet. Been almost a week now. arrrgg..

I owned 2 savage 93R17 and those rifles are tack drivers at 100 yards. the mossberg 817 cost me around $130 and I know it's a budget rifle, but damn, the crown didn't have to be that bad. This is actually the GF's rifle that she uses for squirrel hunting. I use the 93R17 and marlin 795. She doesn't have a problem as long as she can hit any part of the squirrel (17 Gr VMAX), but it bothers me.

anyone with a mossberg 817 wanna check the crown for me?

Holy crap. I could have done better with my knife. You can see the marks inside the barrel where it looks like they ran the tool in dry.

Why does it look like there are shavings all in and around it?
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Holy crap. I could have done better with my knife. You can see the marks inside the barrel where it looks like they ran the tool in dry.

Why does it look like there are shavings all in and around it?
    i think those might actually be lint since i stored it in a soft case.

Ah.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Wow. I've never seen that on any .22. How did you handle it? If it's still fairly new, you should be able to send it back for service under warranty.

Links