Can for M4

This is a discussion on Can for M4 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking of getting a can for my M4 so that if I have to use of in the house I don't do serious ...

Thread: Can for M4

VIP Member

Can for M4

I am thinking of getting a can for my M4 so that if I have to use of in the house I don't do serious damage to the hearing of all occupants. Does anybody know the drill to get the stamp? Do I have to have the stamp before the can or do I have to have he can first. Do I have to get he stamp and can together from the can vendor or do I apply to BATFE or whoever separately. I appreciate any input.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    They sell them at my LGS and help you get the proper paperwork ( stamp) I am guessing it may vary from state to state. I have looked at them in the store. Often thought about it but always moved on.

Find your local class III dealer, they will be glad to explain the process to you. How it was explained to me was that the dealer had to have the can in hand before he can start the process, but i don't know if that applies to all dealers or if it was my dealer's policy.
    Molon Labe

You either have to have a Chief LEO sign off on the paperwork,or start a trust,then fill out paperwork and pay the tax then wait for ATF approval
    HOTGUNS can tell you more since I believe he is not only a dealer but a manufacturer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Based on be info provided here, I called my local dealer and he is a class 3 dealer. He knows the drill and recommended a gun trust because it provides options for when I die and other inheritance issues. I was unaware, but he also carries cans. I will look at what he has. They are not in be normal display area - I guess for security reasons.

Thanks for the info.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Based on be info provided here, I called my local dealer and he is a class 3 dealer. He knows the drill and recommended a gun trust because it provides options for when I die and other inheritance issues. I was unaware, but he also carries cans. I will look at what he has. They are not in be normal display area - I guess for security reasons.

Thanks for the info.
    Some of the SW Ohio CLEO's also don't seem too keen on signing off on Class III, so the trust is probably a better way to go depending on which county you actually live in.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Some of the SW Ohio CLEO's also don't seem too keen on signing off on Class III, so the trust is probably a better way to go depending on which county you actually live in.
    Given that our local CLEO is on record (video from a township meeting) stating that you will be detained and have your papers checked if you OC in his jurisdiction, I agree.

AICS and YHM are two that a lot of LD (Long Distance) folks use if you have a 308 as well as your M4 clone get one for 30 caliber it will work on your 5.56 too. The LD shooters say a suppressor will add 10-20 FPS to your shot.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Links