Range report. New Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II

This is a discussion on Range report. New Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have to say, that before I actually shot this gun for the first time that I was a little nervous about it, after reading ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pir8fan

Thread: Range report. New Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II

I have to say, that before I actually shot this gun for the first time that I was a little nervous about it, after reading stories of Kimbers being jammomatics. I went back home to my private range for a little testing this weekend. I used Federal copper jacketed 230 grain ammo. I only have the magazine that comes with the gun so far, so this testing was done with stock magazine only. I shot about 300 hundred rounds, so it is a little over half way broke in according to Kimber. The thing that struck me about this gun at first was just how perfect it felt in my hand, and the second was how the trigger felt. This is the main reason I purchased it.
    Not knowing what to expect, I loaded up that first magazine and to my delight, the gun did just exactly what it is supposed to do. In fact, out of almost 300 rounds, I only had 2 malfunctions. They were both FTF and both were not the fault of my gun. I let my kids try their hands at shooting it and they limp wristed 1 round each. They are 12 and 10, and this was their first experience shooting a 45.
    My accuracy has greatly improved with this gun, over my other pistol (Taurus PT-58, Da/Sa 380). The recoil was not noticably any more than what I feel with my 380, which was something else I was a little concerned with, since we are talking about a sawed off 1911 (3 inch barrel).
    There is one feature of this gun that I have never had, but will never do without ever again on a pistol: laser sights. The laser sights helped my wife improve her trigger control more in a few minutes, than I ever did with years of trying to help her. It is really helpfull to dry fire the pistol with the laser on so you can see the laser jump. It really opened her eyes up to that flinch she had. Not only that, but I can see the laser being helpful in low light situations and as intimidation factor if ever used in SD.
    All in all, I just don't understand all the Kimber hating. Did I just get the one good one? Is it people just talking about what they don't know about? Is it just hating Kimbers because they don't have one? Is it all about the external extractor issues they had a couple of years ago? I am a little curious, but the main thing is that this gun performed perfectly, and is an absolute blast to shoot. I think I will just keep on enjoying my new purchase and just let the haters hate. I can't remember the last time I had as much fun shooting.

On a final note, there are a couple of points that aren't perfect about the gun. Field stripping it the first time is a beast, but it's not too bad after a couple of times. The other thing is the alluminum reciever may be pretty, but it really just highlights any grime from shooting. It caused me to obsess over cleaning it. Lol

I have one of these and love it. It has over 1,000 rounds through it without a single problem. I do prefer 185 or 165 grain ammo. The gun seems to be a little more accurate and I can certainly reacquire the target faster.
    Hillhick likes this.

VIP Member
    The true test will come when you feed it JHP ammo. The weak point on any semi auto is the magazines, Kimber has a reputation of crap for magazines.

Although I've never had any problems with my factory Dan Wesson magazines, I use them for the range only. For carry I use Chip McCormick Power Mags.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The true test will come when you feed it JHP ammo. The weak point on any semi auto is the magazines, Kimber has a reputation of crap for magazines.

Although I've never had any problems with my factory Dan Wesson magazines, I use them for the range only. For carry I use Chip McCormick Power Mags.
    I appreciate that advice. I too have heard the talk a out the Kimber issues. My main point is that so far this gun hasn't lived down to the bashing that I have read. The fact that this gun is operating as it should while it is still in the break-in period shows that it's better than the bashes. I will be doing further testing with other ammo. Will let you know how that goes.

VIP Member
    I don't know where Kimber got the bad name. Other than magazines I haven't seen a problem with any of their newer stuff and it was rare on the older guns (of course the originals were fantastic at least in my experience). If it is a defensive gun I would recommend getting some good magazines. The Wilson mags seem to be the rage these days but, like the poster above, I prefer Chip McCormick power mags.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

There is a problem with Chip McCormick mags (and even the Kimber mags) used with the Kimber aluminum frame guns. The metal follower will gouge the ramp and damage it. Use the Wilson mags with their plastic followers. If you want to read more about this, go to 1911forum.com, click on the Kimber page, and this thread will be a sticky there. I got this info in a thread here at defensivecarry.com.

Neko

By all means, read all the related threads you can find. And then just go and have fun shooting the thing. I have an Ultra CDP that has never given me any problems. I bought some Shooting Star mags and they have perform perfectly, and I have not had any gouges from the metal followers. So, read all you can, but your opinion of the gun should be dictated by your own experiences.

Sponsored Links