Why is everyone wanting suppressors these days? - Page 2

Why is everyone wanting suppressors these days?

This is a discussion on Why is everyone wanting suppressors these days? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Less noise for the neighbor and finally legal in my state. I might own a SBR or similar item if legal in my state as ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Why is everyone wanting suppressors these days?

Lead Moderator
    Less noise for the neighbor and finally legal in my state. I might own a SBR or similar item if legal in my state as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ah, don't forget that they make you look like a tacticool operator. Even if you are 60 with a beer gut everyone will mistake you for a DEVGRU guy

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    If you live out in the country a can will allow you to shoot on your own property and not have to put up with the crying, sniveling and wailing of the city folks that have moved out in the country.
    Tannerite can probably remedy this issue. After a few targets have exploded - and the soundwaves shake everything within a mile - they'll quit complaining about the puny sounds of guns in no time.

Seemed to work for one of my buddies, lol.

I'd love one but have no use for one. if I could afford cool factor alone, I'd have a drawer full of them.

Living in this state, I would assume that eventually they will try to make them illegal and get em while you can
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

My hearing is shot from military service but then again I was artillery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    If suppressors should become non NFA in my lifetime (which I doubt they will) I would get on for my for my 5.56 but it would be a 30 cal can so I could switch it to my 308
    WHAT??? JK - could not resist.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

First it was red plastic front sight inserts, then 3 dots, then night sights, then WML, the lasers, , then red dot sights,then combo light/ laser, and now you can even make the quiet while you blaze away with the illumination, disregarding your night sights glowing and finding the red dot in the center of 20,000 Lumens.

Now we are looking for holsters to put all that crap into. When we are finally finished, a pistol holster will look like a cross between a suit case, and a rifle scabbard.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I know folks here don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but the reason for a suppressor (can) is to give you time to bury the bodies before the police come. If you make a lot of loud bang noises, some liberal will call the cops right away and you will get in trouble. There are some additional secrets. Never bury them under the slab, it's the first place they look. Never use a rented wood shredder as they can get DNA from it no matter how you steam clean it. You need to know these things, but folks just won't tell them to you. Oh! Also, the can makes you look cool, cause you have the latest new thingy.

Hearing loss is cumulative, just b/c you didn't notice the loss from one day of shooting or one shot doesn't mean it's not there. Then you get used to it. Then you lose some more. Rinse, repeat. I know a long time shooter (48 yrs old) who, as a curiosity, stopped at the hearing aid display at Cabela's. They fitted him with a temp aid and as he walked around the store he couldn't believe how much he wasn't hearing - was actually startled a couple of times. How's that for situational awareness? We were fixing a flat tire on a mower and he couldn't hear the loud hissing coming from the tire and asked me "can you really hear that?"

Recoil is reduced as much as a muzzle brake, other animals in a hunting area aren't alarmed as the shooting starts, multiple home invaders may not figure out exactly where you are as fast, predators won't associate gunshots with dinner bells, one suppressor can be used on multiple guns of multiple calibers so your .30 caliber can can be used on your 30-06, 308, 6.5, 243, 270, 223. It's a much more efficient accessory than putting a scope on every rifle you own.

I'm more with the group that education about stuff is just much faster these days and benefits are shared faster, more so than a phase. I'm thinking they're here to stay. Also, since the "tax" isn't indexed for inflation, that $200 is less and less valuable/expensive as time goes on. In the past there were a lot of assumptions made about them and those assumptions are now being quashed. Now, if we can get people like the presidential candidates to understand that full auto weapons are not illegal everywhere - wait, scratch that, sometimes information in the wrong hands is a bad thing.

guns are loud....

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I will preface this by saying cans are really cool items. I've often considered getting one, or 10, but just never made the jump. I am sure at some point I'll feel like setting up the trust and getting it done.

Anyway, on to my point. It seems as if recently I am seeing tons of posts from people saying the want to suppress a gun in order to save their hearing if they have to shoot a BG inside their home. And while a shot is loud enough to meet the criteria for hearing damage, I just don't see the evidence that it is all that big of a deal. I personally have shot inside structures without hearing protection and didn't suffer any damage... but I am never willing to base anything off one example, even if it is me. So, I have been looking at people with multiple combat deployments that spend at least some of the time in CQB situations inside. I'm not seeing a ton of these types of people with severe hearing damage after discharging 5.56 and 9mm inside while their friends did the same thing. It seems to me that if it was really that big of a threat we'd be seeing more of these guys with some real problems after 10 years of fighting terrorists.

Now I am sure I'm missing something. Everybody didn't just decide to make a big deal out of this all of a sudden- something is causing it. So my question is what got all this started and what was the reasoning behind it? And thanks for any clues, because this one has had me scratching my head for a while.

In short? If you are involved in a home invasion, and you have to shoot someone in your home, if you can do it with a suppressor, your ears won't be ringing from the blast, which means if there are a few more guys in your house behind him and not visible, you have a much better chance of hearing them approach.
    Additionally, the weight of the suppressor will help to counter recoil, which means faster, more accurate shots when you need to fire multiple rounds, with the added weight being at the end of the barrel. The suppressor also hides all muzzle flash, which keeps from blinding you in low light.

These are a few of the advantages of having a suppressor and also some of the reasons Police entry teams use them as well.

Heck, I've got permanent hearing loss in my right ear from spending my teenage weekends plinking in the woods with a .45 and a .223. They did a test where they smack a piece of metal together and hold it by your ears to see if you can hear it. Left side is good, right side can only hear it when it's pressed against my skull behind my ear. I can see the advantages of a suppressor if you shoot regularly.

I've been looking into one for my AR lately. Might make those prairie dog trips more productive if they don't all hear a shot and run for their holes. I don't think I'd go as far as putting one on my home defense gun, but to each his own.

VIP Member
    GlassWolf, what you said is the exact situation I am trying to address. I don't know if you've ever been in a situation where you had to shoot while in a building, but I have done it a handful of times. This ringing in the ears is something I only experienced after a flashbang, not after shooting or having others shoot. I am trying to track down where this line of thinking is coming from, because I am clearly missing something. As far as recoil is concerned, that's a matter or learning to shoot. By that logic I should put a 10 pound weight on the end of my pistol because that too would reduce felt recoil.

I am not discounting that there could be a cumulative loss of hearing due to shooting indoors. When I left the Marine Corps my hearing was slightly worse than when I entered but was only noticeable in a hearing test. But that was after going through several situations where hearing suffers. Maybe I was just lucky, but I can't believe I was so lucky that I managed to avoid a major problem that the vast majority of people would have after shooting indoors in the unlikely home invasion scenario.

I am not at all discounting the cool factor. Heck, I'm not saying they aren't great safety devices. In my mind they should be considered something that makes guns safer, not more dangerous. If everyone had suppressors and used them at the range we'd all be safer since hearing protection isn't perfect. But that doesn't address my specific question right now, and that's where the fascination with a can for the home invasion scenario started and why.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I'd love one but have no use for one. if I could afford cool factor alone, I'd have a drawer full of them.
    We need to have a use for one? I don't have a use for most of the weapons I own.

Michael

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links