Why is everyone wanting suppressors these days?

This is a discussion on Why is everyone wanting suppressors these days? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will preface this by saying cans are really cool items. I've often considered getting one, or 10, but just never made the jump. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Why is everyone wanting suppressors these days?

VIP Member

I will preface this by saying cans are really cool items. I've often considered getting one, or 10, but just never made the jump. I am sure at some point I'll feel like setting up the trust and getting it done.

Anyway, on to my point. It seems as if recently I am seeing tons of posts from people saying the want to suppress a gun in order to save their hearing if they have to shoot a BG inside their home. And while a shot is loud enough to meet the criteria for hearing damage, I just don't see the evidence that it is all that big of a deal. I personally have shot inside structures without hearing protection and didn't suffer any damage... but I am never willing to base anything off one example, even if it is me. So, I have been looking at people with multiple combat deployments that spend at least some of the time in CQB situations inside. I'm not seeing a ton of these types of people with severe hearing damage after discharging 5.56 and 9mm inside while their friends did the same thing. It seems to me that if it was really that big of a threat we'd be seeing more of these guys with some real problems after 10 years of fighting terrorists.

Now I am sure I'm missing something. Everybody didn't just decide to make a big deal out of this all of a sudden- something is causing it. So my question is what got all this started and what was the reasoning behind it? And thanks for any clues, because this one has had me scratching my head for a while.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

Re: Why is everyone wanting suppressors these days?

In case you haven't caught on guns run through fashion phases just like clothing or cars.

10 years ago you had to have a $1200 1911

5 years ago a "list" qualified m4gery

Today a can

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complaints about

VIP Member
    If you live out in the country a can will allow you to shoot on your own property and not have to put up with the crying, sniveling and wailing of the city folks that have moved out in the country.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Need something to spend their money on...
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Sponsor
    I'd bet that it has a lot to do with the fact that more people know now, through the magic of the interwebz that suppressors are legal most places.

I'm considering a can for my bench rest .308. The brake I'm running is louder than a mortar round at close range.
    kmagnuss and phreddy like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I am presently waiting for my first suppressor...tax stamp has been approved and paid for...now just the looooooong wait.
    I see it as an advantage for shooting inside the house, and outside to keep things 'quiet'.
    They are expensive and the process is a pain in the rear, but I just want one.
    This one is for a Glock-19, and my next one will be for my Glock-21.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For me, I want one eventually because I 'hope' that one day I'll have more money than sense.........

That, and hunting on my property with folks meeting the same criteria msgt/ret already posted.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    In addition to lower noise in the house, they are fun. I have pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns. I don't have any cans. Nuff said. Well all that and I just want to get on another government list :|
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Well, for inside the house of course. That's the most likely reason.

But the other reason is for the coming zombies- a semi-auto, suppressed .22lr, or a suppressed .22lr pistol can make the difference between being with your family and wandering around looking for brains.

I would like to have my suppressor before I need it.
    kmagnuss and minimalbrat like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not everyone does. I prefer my gun to go bang, not phuft. Plus I don't feel like spending the money on the tube, a threaded barrel, and the permit. I am indifferent toward those who desire one. They have their uses. My son has one, but it causes too many FTFs for me to want one.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

So, I have been looking at people with multiple combat deployments that spend at least some of the time in CQB situations inside. I'm not seeing a ton of these types of people with severe hearing damage after discharging 5.56 and 9mm inside while their friends did the same thing. It seems to me that if it was really that big of a threat we'd be seeing more of these guys with some real problems after 10 years of fighting terrorists.
    What is your definition of "severe". I know plenty of folks that have hearing loss directly related to military service and firing of weapons (including myself)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I would have to say that on a AR style .22 they are quite nice and probably sound the same on a .22 pistol. Mostly all action is what you hear. Anything else is a awkwardly long barrel and still kinda loud. Your hearing is still damaged over a certain amount of dBs. Just because they aren't bleeding doesn't mean they weren't damaged.

Also cans are hot right now just because you can get them now. If they allowed cans 15 yrs ago they would deffinately not be a hot item.

I'd bet more than a few are motivated by the idea that less noise can help sensitive folk nearby to better accept firearms in their midst (ie, at nearby ranges, or on family ranges/farms.

Though, likely (short of any supporting data confirm anything), I'd be willing to bet it's mostly because it's the "hip" thing to get next.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Plus, in many of the videos I see, it appears as if a lot of soldiers are wearing foam plugs. Many of the former GIs I know suffer some level of hearing loss due to shooting noise.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If suppressors should become non NFA in my lifetime (which I doubt they will) I would get on for my for my 5.56 but it would be a 30 cal can so I could switch it to my 308
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links