Cleaning a New Firearm... Yes or No? - Page 2

Cleaning a New Firearm... Yes or No?

This is a discussion on Cleaning a New Firearm... Yes or No? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would clean it first, some guns like more lube (AR's for instance). Plus I think it gives you a good chance to aquatint yourself ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Cleaning a New Firearm... Yes or No?

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,709
    I would clean it first, some guns like more lube (AR's for instance). Plus I think it gives you a good chance to aquatint yourself with your new gun and how it breaks down. Who doesn't enjoy handling their new gun?
    fail_187 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

    There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

    Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.


  2. #17
    VIP Member Array ghost tracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ky Backwoods
    Posts
    5,131
    Not cleaning a new gun purchase before firing would be like not opening the hood & checking the oil of a new car purchase. You can never be too careful. In fact, I always gave new girlfriends a good goin'-over before taking them home. But that's another story...
    fail_187 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

  3. #18
    Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Florida's Space Coast.
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Double0Seven View Post
    A lot of good information to know, and I really appreciate everyone who replied.
    I checked your profile...interested in horology and firearms...Clocks and Glocks...sorry, I couldn't help myself...

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array ghost tracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ky Backwoods
    Posts
    5,131
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I checked your profile...interested in horology and firearms...Clocks and Glocks...sorry, I couldn't help myself...
    Oh now we gotta' add geology! Clocks, GLOCKS & ...rocks!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

  5. #20
    Member Array Switchblade906's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    192
    I usually do clean it before i shoot it but i didnt when i bought my Kimber because here in FL if you have your CCW there is no waiting period on handguns only like 15 mins...the LGS has a indoor range soi went right there and let off about 300 rounds.
    pfries likes this.

  6. #21
    Member Array minimalbrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Not cleaning a new gun purchase before firing would be like not opening the hood & checking the oil of a new car purchase. You can never be too careful. In fact, I always gave new girlfriends a good goin'-over before taking them home. But that's another story...



    :)
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

  7. #22
    Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,330
    Depends on if its too late to go to the range or not. If it is too late, then I would clean it just get used to the gun.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

  8. #23
    Ex Member Array Pythius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    462
    one word: yes.

    you'll learn about the gun, and clean out any crap that may have been left inside.

    there is no possible downside to pre-cleaning a gun before its first shots.

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    I found a piece of metal shaving in the bore of a new rifle once. Glad I caught it before I shot the rifle.

    Michael

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Double0Seven View Post
    Is it necessary to clean a brand new firearm before you shoot the first round? I want to make sure that I start out doing what's right for my investment. If so, could you tell me why.
    Some firearms are packed in cosmoline. Shoot one of those blindly, and you might well regret it with all your heart. Some are packed with a fair amount of "goop" on the outside surfaces of the gun. Though, I've also seen a couple of handguns with some crud/detritus in the barrel prior to my firing it. Obstructions could be ugly, if fired then.

    And, if for no other reason than to ensure a firearm is correctly and adequately lubricated, it makes sense to perform a basic field strip and lube before the first firing.

    It's an investment, as you say. But it's also an investment in a life-saving tool, on which your life could depend. It's a shame to trust blindly to function and lubrication merely because it's new. IMO, better to think of it as untried/untested, at least until you know it much better.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Exact center of CA
    Posts
    2,026
    I always clean first! I once bought a Russian SXS shotgun that when I removed the stock and gave it a really good cleaning I got out a teaspoon full of debris. Sawdust, metal chips,and little plastic bits, that was the worst Id seen but shows why Id clean every gun before shooting. DR
    ccw9mm likes this.

  12. #27
    Member Array Hruk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    31
    the lgs I have gotten all my handguns from so far, has a range in the basement and you get free range time with a gun purchase. So I just strip wipe down and lube if necessary if not i just shoot away and clean when I get home

  13. #28
    Member Array fail_187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Hruk View Post
    the lgs I have gotten all my handguns from so far, has a range in the basement and you get free range time with a gun purchase. So I just strip wipe down and lube if necessary if not i just shoot away and clean when I get home
    Sounds like the LGS I wanna have!!

  14. #29
    Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,631
    I clean mine befrore shooting just because it's a new toy to play with
    minimalbrat likes this.

  15. #30
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,516
    I field strip and clean each new gun and after each time I use one...can't hurt!
    Ksgunner and minimalbrat like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

cleaning a new glock before shooting it
,

cleaning new firearm

,
is it ok to shoot a new gun without lceaning it first
,
is it okay to shoot a brand new gun without cleaning first
,
new glock clean before firing
,
new glock clean before shooting
,
should i clean my new glock before i shoot it
,
sirius gun lube
Click on a term to search for related topics.