Cleaning a New Firearm... Yes or No? - Page 2

Cleaning a New Firearm... Yes or No?

This is a discussion on Cleaning a New Firearm... Yes or No? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would clean it first, some guns like more lube (AR's for instance). Plus I think it gives you a good chance to aquatint yourself ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Cleaning a New Firearm... Yes or No?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I would clean it first, some guns like more lube (AR's for instance). Plus I think it gives you a good chance to aquatint yourself with your new gun and how it breaks down. Who doesn't enjoy handling their new gun?
    fail_187 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Not cleaning a new gun purchase before firing would be like not opening the hood & checking the oil of a new car purchase. You can never be too careful. In fact, I always gave new girlfriends a good goin'-over before taking them home. But that's another story...
    fail_187 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Double0Seven View Post
    A lot of good information to know, and I really appreciate everyone who replied.
    I checked your profile...interested in horology and firearms...Clocks and Glocks...sorry, I couldn't help myself...

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I checked your profile...interested in horology and firearms...Clocks and Glocks...sorry, I couldn't help myself...
    Oh now we gotta' add geology! Clocks, GLOCKS & ...rocks!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I usually do clean it before i shoot it but i didnt when i bought my Kimber because here in FL if you have your CCW there is no waiting period on handguns only like 15 mins...the LGS has a indoor range soi went right there and let off about 300 rounds.
    pfries likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Not cleaning a new gun purchase before firing would be like not opening the hood & checking the oil of a new car purchase. You can never be too careful. In fact, I always gave new girlfriends a good goin'-over before taking them home. But that's another story...

:)
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Depends on if its too late to go to the range or not. If it is too late, then I would clean it just get used to the gun.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

one word: yes.

you'll learn about the gun, and clean out any crap that may have been left inside.

there is no possible downside to pre-cleaning a gun before its first shots.

I found a piece of metal shaving in the bore of a new rifle once. Glad I caught it before I shot the rifle.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Double0Seven View Post
    Is it necessary to clean a brand new firearm before you shoot the first round? I want to make sure that I start out doing what's right for my investment. If so, could you tell me why.
    Some firearms are packed in cosmoline. Shoot one of those blindly, and you might well regret it with all your heart. Some are packed with a fair amount of "goop" on the outside surfaces of the gun. Though, I've also seen a couple of handguns with some crud/detritus in the barrel prior to my firing it. Obstructions could be ugly, if fired then.

And, if for no other reason than to ensure a firearm is correctly and adequately lubricated, it makes sense to perform a basic field strip and lube before the first firing.

It's an investment, as you say. But it's also an investment in a life-saving tool, on which your life could depend. It's a shame to trust blindly to function and lubrication merely because it's new. IMO, better to think of it as untried/untested, at least until you know it much better.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I always clean first! I once bought a Russian SXS shotgun that when I removed the stock and gave it a really good cleaning I got out a teaspoon full of debris. Sawdust, metal chips,and little plastic bits, that was the worst Id seen but shows why Id clean every gun before shooting. DR
    ccw9mm likes this.

the lgs I have gotten all my handguns from so far, has a range in the basement and you get free range time with a gun purchase. So I just strip wipe down and lube if necessary if not i just shoot away and clean when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by Hruk View Post
    the lgs I have gotten all my handguns from so far, has a range in the basement and you get free range time with a gun purchase. So I just strip wipe down and lube if necessary if not i just shoot away and clean when I get home
    Sounds like the LGS I wanna have!!

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I clean mine befrore shooting just because it's a new toy to play with
    minimalbrat likes this.

I field strip and clean each new gun and after each time I use one...can't hurt!
    Ksgunner and minimalbrat like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links