Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added) - Page 11

Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

This is a discussion on Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They have the right but they get none of my cash....

View Poll Results: Do you support a business's right to ban guns?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

87 82.86%
  • NO

18 17.14%
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

They have the right but they get none of my cash.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Email that link to all of the business's that have gun buster signs.....if they change there minds then that is great. But like said previously, the point is not the rationale behind a owner banning weapons. The question is if it is within his legal right to do so. And so far the overwhelming legal and personal opinions say yes.

We have hashed through the "BG's will ignore the sign " to "irrational fear" but they do not mean anything toward the topic.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    THAT is the most interesting article I've ever read! Thanks for posting that link.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Nothing tacman has said has refuted anything I've presented, so where do you want this to go?

One side will cite examples of property owners limiting actions of people on the property, the other side will cite examples of property owners authority to limit, itself limited.

Where do you see this thread in 2 pages?
    What exactly have you presented other than the opinion that a property owner shouldn't have the right to set limits or prohibitions on property they own?
    suntzu and tacman605 like this.

VIP Member
    The whole point of this topic is "Do you support a businesses right to ban guns".

That's a different question than, "Do businesses have the legal right to ban guns".

It's been established that businesses do indeed have the legal right to ban guns.
    Now we're discussing our own personal views, pro and con, based on the original question.

It's two different things. The whole point to posting on a forum is to exchange thoughts and ideas on different topics.
    I've read through most of the responses and I "get it". One is the legal side, the other is the ethical ( for lack of a better term) side of that law.

I doubt if most people who bother to sign up as a member and participate in a forum are going to knowingly ignore the laws of the land.

I like reading both sides of the question and that's the point of forums. If it's not, then just post the laws at the top of the page and state that there will be NO DISCUSSION about them.

I'm guessing that some of the responders are business owners and have a different perspective about this than non-owners. If I owned a business I'd probably think, "It's MY business, MY investment, MY hard work and if I want to ban guns from the premises then that's MY prerogative"
    OldVet and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    The whole point of this topic is "Do you support a businesses right to ban guns".

That's a different question than, "Do businesses have the legal right to ban guns".

It's been established that businesses do indeed have the legal right to ban guns.
    Now we're discussing our own personal views, pro and con, based on the original question.

It's two different things. The whole point to posting on a forum is to exchange thoughts and ideas on different topics.
    I've read through most of the responses and I "get it". One is the legal side, the other is the ethical ( for lack of a better term) side of that law.

I doubt if most people who bother to sign up as a member and participate in a forum is going to knowingly ignore the laws of the land.

I like reading both sides of the question and that's the point of forums. If it's not, then just post the laws at the top of the page and state that there will be NO DISCUSSION about them.

I'm guessing that some of the responders are business owners and have a different perspective about this than non-owners. If I owned a business I'd probably think, "It's MY business, MY investment, MY hard work and if I want to ban guns from the premises then that's MY prerogative"
    Here is an example why the business owner should have the final say. I was a skydiving instructer in NH. We did not allow students to carry. Beleive it or not it had little to do with safety because I can safely rig any combination holster and weapon to ensure the customer will be OK. I did it because it was an undue burden on my employees and myself. I did not want to spend the time doing it. The purpose of being a student is to focus on the task at hand.

Some forum member came up with the ridiculus idea that if we got robbed after we landed then I would be responsible. Yeah, sure. I will take that risk because it is my risk. A gun is a tool, not a talisman, not a goodluck charm.

Customers were free to go elswhere if they wanted. And, no, this is not the same ass having to have handicapped access for people who are a protected class and do not have the choice of getting rid of their disability at the door. You can leave your gun in the car and I would even lock it up for them.

I do feel that folks need to be able to carry to and from work. Employers should not be allowed to ban weapon storage in POV's. But once on the clock you go by the rules of the employer.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    On the same beat, I support free speech, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stand around and listen to it.
    Doghandler and Jeanlouise like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Well since Armyman agrees then I guess he will now stop carrying at work without his employers knowledge or permission?
    My employer has direct retail sales, and I am still out in the public, not locked away in a restricted zone like a factory, so no.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post

I doubt if most people who bother to sign up as a member and participate in a forum is going to knowingly ignore the laws of the land.

Actually I think that the OP is focusing in on the legality, at least that's how I read his question. He's not asking if the people here financially support businesses that prohibit weapons. He is asking if we support the right to prohibit weapons on private property; which does basically boil down to the legality of it.

Maybe I'm misreading what he wrote or what you wrote, but I don't see a lot of difference between supporting the legal right to do something and the discussion on its legality.

VIP Member
    Carry on you guys. My head hurts. I'm going to go hang out with a dancing banana or something.

I rather NOT have more gov't intrusion into business. So if a business wants a no gun policy, let them have it.

I like the dancing banana, I want to get off this merry go round im going in circles and not getting anywhere. LOL...

Hmm... Maybe I was approaching this topic with a different idea of what was being asked, as well. It's interesting to see the thoughts presented in this thread. There is a lot of validity on several vastly different opinions about this topic. Let me revise my previous thoughts.

Firstly, I completely support a businesses right to hang a sign stating they don't want guns on their property. If they don't want guns, that's fine. They can fire employees who break their company policy. They can give customers the boot for not abiding by their rules (gray area).

Secondly, I completely disagree with criminal prosecution of any way for carrying a gun onto property that has posted a no guns sign. I DO NOT believe these signs should carry the force of law - because of the second amendment guaranteeing citizens rights to bear arms. Trespass is a different prosecution. If a business owner wants you gone, you need to be gone. However, A business that invites the public onto it's property must abide by civil rights laws. No discrimination because of skin color, sex, etc. Private clubs (like country clubs) which require membership and the likes can currently get away with a little more discrimination. Still, legally, I don't see grounds for legal prosecution for breaking policies. Trespass still applies - especially if you are interfering with the businesses ability to conduct commerce. This seems like a gray area. Good thing we have state laws for clarity!

Thirdly, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in regards to a business open to the public. People can't be having sex in a place open to the public - like a gas station counter top or in the middle of a parking lot - even if the business owner is OK with it. These places also have no duty to protect it's customers. A business open to the public IS NOT THE SAME AS YOUR HOME.

Fourthly, I have absolutely no problem ignoring a businesses "policy". I'm not going to break the law, but I have a duty to protect myself and my loved ones. Their signs mean nothing to criminals. Therefore, the signs mean nothing to me. I'll keep it concealed. I'm glad my state is OK with this, as well.

Whew.
    GeorgiaDawg and ArmyMan like this.

VIP Member
    The thread that wouldn't die.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Lotus - I'm with you 100% there. Preach it!
    ArmyMan likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Links