Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

This is a discussion on Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Having owned my own business, I have my own view on this. The business owner pays the rent, utilities, taxes. If he chooses to not ...

View Poll Results: Do you support a business's right to ban guns?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

87 82.86%
  • NO

18 17.14%
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

VIP Member
    Having owned my own business, I have my own view on this. The business owner pays the rent, utilities, taxes. If he chooses to not allow something on his business property, that is his right, as long it doesn't violate the law. Just like it is your right not to patronize him. If he has a sign on the door that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service", would you go in without a shirt and shoes?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Of course they do! My right to bear arms is not superior to others rights to keep me out of their domain if they do not like the way I am dressed.

Here is the benefit of concealed carrying.

Does a business have the option of denying people from bringing weapons on their property?
    Yes.

Do I have the right to bear arms?
    Yes.

Will I willfully break the rules that a business owner has in place to carry a concealed weapon?
    Yes. What they don't know won't hurt them.

If the business refuses me and wants me off of their property, must I comply?
    Yes, or face trespass charges. Regardless of whether or not I have a firearm.

If every business in town was posted, I might not have the option of moving to another town. Maybe, I'm not the model citizen. That's just how I feel.
    ArmyMan and CharlesMorri like this.

VIP Member
    If he has a sign on the door that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service", would you go in without a shirt and shoes?
    Not naming names but yes they would. There rights override everyone else's private property or not.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I realize that sometimes the public view on this subject doesn't go both ways. But I absolutely support a property owner's rights exactly as much as I support our 2A rights. Which happens to be exactly as much as I support my right not to be on their property.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Ain't freedom great!

VIP Member
    Here is the legal definition of public and private property.

Public property is any property that is controlled by a state or by a whole community. Private property is any property that is not public property. Private property may be under the control of a single person or by a group of persons jointly.

So according to the legal definition Wal Mart, Mom and Pop grocery or any other business is private property and therefore under the control of the owner therefore you must abide by their rules.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Yes - I support the right for business owners to refuse firearms on their property.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Absolutely. Even though it's a business, it's still "private property". So, I respect their right...I won't shop there, but I respect their right.
    lchamp likes this.

if stores, restaurants, and shops can have dress codes, then they can also have a no-gun policy.

its their property. they have the right to regulate peoples' behavior on their property.

don't like it? don't go there.

banning guns isn't like banning black people or gay people. guns aren't people, they are merely an object..and objects can be banned from private property.
    ron54 likes this.

Sure I support their right to restrict guns on thier property but that doesnt mean im going to: 1) listen to it or 2) go in, in the first place.

But in FL those signs have no lawfull grounding to where I have to obide. Now if they see it and ask me to leave then I will fully understand and do as i am asked
    ArmyMan likes this.

Just as a follow up...I have bought several firearms at Gander Mountain here in Virginia. They do not allow the concealed carry of a firearm in their stores. Any weapon has to be checked as soon as you enter...then it is secured in a case with a zip tie. The same rules apply at the gun shows here in Fredericksburg. Don't make sense but that's the way it is. Walmart...carry concealed or open all day long, they could care less. At the gun shows the city police secure your firearm with zip ties until you leave.

Senior Moderator
    I believe that the owner of private property can forbid the carrying of guns on their property, enforce a dress code of their choosing, ban or permit smoking, etc....

If I don't like their rules then I don't have to go there.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    Just as a follow up...I have bought several firearms at Gander Mountain here in Virginia. They do not allow the concealed carry of a firearm in their stores. Any weapon has to be checked as soon as you enter...then it is secured in a case with a zip tie. The same rules apply at the gun shows here in Fredericksburg. Don't make sense but that's the way it is. Walmart...carry concealed or open all day long, they could care less. At the gun shows the city police secure your firearm with zip ties until you leave.
    Which goes a long way to explain why I refuse to support gun shows with my patronage. Most of them here in Ohio are also held in venues normally posted with gunbuster signs. Gander Mountain priced itself out of my patronage. Seven hundred bucks for a 9mm Glock.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    I am surprised at Gander Mountain. The two near me are posted that that inspection does not include weapons being carried for personal defense. The Bass Pro near me has similar signs about inspection. I asked the manager if that includes weapons carried by CHL holders for self defense. He said no, that policy was only meant to apply to weapons being brought in for service or that would be handled during some kind of transaction.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links