Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added) - Page 4

Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

This is a discussion on Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty Yep besides my "NO TRESPASSING" Sign, I'm gonna get a "No Saggy Pants" Restricted area in my yard If someone did ...

View Poll Results: Do you support a business's right to ban guns?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

87 82.86%
  • NO

18 17.14%
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Yep besides my "NO TRESPASSING" Sign, I'm gonna get a "No Saggy Pants" Restricted area in my yard
    If someone did walk in with baggy pants, they should never be charged with criminal trespassing. Just asked to leave.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Absolutely, I respect others' rights to set the rules on their property just as I wish them to respect my right to set the rules on mine.

They are free to ban guns from their business, and I am free to not patronize their business.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I am surprised at Gander Mountain. The two near me are posted that that inspection does not include weapons being carried for personal defense. The Bass Pro near me has similar signs about inspection. I asked the manager if that includes weapons carried by CHL holders for self defense. He said no, that policy was only meant to apply to weapons being brought in for service or that would be handled during some kind of transaction.
    Thats how it is here in FL. Maybe they just read the signs wrong at that GM.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but...

What about civil rights? A business can't discriminate based on race, etc. Do you guys feel that a business should be able to discriminate as it pleases? Or deep down, do you feel that a business holds a certain obligation to honor the rights of citizens when it opens it's doors to the public?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Yup, carrying a firearm does not make one a protected class.
    Owning land doesn't make you a protected class, either.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but...

What about civil rights? A business can't discriminate based on race, etc. Do you guys feel that a business should be able to discriminate as it pleases? Or deep down, do you feel that a business holds a certain obligation to honor the rights of citizens when it opens it's doors to the public?
    While I personally believe that all people should honor each person's humanity and "civil rights", I don't believe business owners should be forced to respect those rights. I view a business like I view my home: I can let as many or as few people come through my doors as I like, since it's my home. If i choose to "discriminate" against certain people by not letting them into my home, I may or may not suffer negative consequences by it. What if I need to have my roof repaired but the only guys who will do it for the price I can afford are Mexican immigrants? If I discriminate against them by not hiring them, then I'm losing out on getting what I need and will suffer for it.

While I believe businesses should be able to decide who can and cannot come in their doors, I think that the practice of discrimination is bad for business, and with the advances in technology and communication we have now, it's not difficult at all to organize boycotts or just inform the masses of a particular business' practices, causing them to lose income. It's not a good move to discriminate like that.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    People who choose to carry for self defense aren't bad, but it's noble to support property rights as a basis of freedom in this country in spite of the government's unwillingness to defend citizens and in spite of its refusal to issue a carry permit to me in LA county and in spite of its general infringement of 2A. Be the change you want to see. I'm answering from the economic perspective of giving a gun-busting-sign poster my business.
    I join you in your superior respect for the rights of your fellow citizens. Yes, I respect the signs that come to my attention by voting with my feet (taking my business elsewhere) against the sign poster, although maybe not 100% depending on considerations of the risk of going elsewhere, the opportunity costs of foregoing my intended purchase decision, and even convenience is a factor.
    Like the late Sen., Everett Dirksen, said, "I have strong principles; and one of those principles is 'always be flexible'".
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    "I may not agree with a single thing you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I don't know the author....
    It's their store and I don't have to go in..
    You can't defend their right to say it if you're in a gun-free zone.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Owning land doesn't make you a protected class, either.
    It does when you are on your own property. Your right to ask someone else to leave is protected.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Not naming names but yes they would. There rights override everyone else's private property or not.
    Who are you quoting? You forgot the TrackBack tag.

I honestly expected more folks to come out against a businesses right to ban firearms on their property.

Like stated earlier, I am not a fan of businesses that choose to do it, however I support their right. Similar to me not being a fan that political "wackos" from the "other side" say what they say, I believe in their protected speech.

I am happy to see that many here believe in all rights and not just those that please them at the time.
    OldVet likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    It does when you are on your own property. Your right to ask someone else to leave is protected.
    Gotta catch me first.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Do you support a businesses right to ban guns

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    Even if it frustrates you, do you believe they should have the right to deny firearms on their property?
    No.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Senior Moderator
    JD and I had a pretty good discussion about this the other day.

Man, I am torn.

I tend to think that businesses that are public (because, let's face it, there are a lot of businesses that are run out of homes, etc) shouldn't be able to ban firearms but then I realize that is infringing on their rights, too.

I agree that businesses should be allowed to deny people who are intoxicated, aren't clothed appropriately, aren't wearing shoes, etc.. if they perceive a firearm to be unacceptable, I think it is within their rights to deny it.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    While I personally believe that all people should honor each person's humanity and "civil rights", I don't believe business owners should be forced to respect those rights. I view a business like I view my home: I can let as many or as few people come through my doors as I like, since it's my home. If i choose to "discriminate" against certain people by not letting them into my home, I may or may not suffer negative consequences by it. What if I need to have my roof repaired but the only guys who will do it for the price I can afford are Mexican immigrants? If I discriminate against them by not hiring them, then I'm losing out on getting what I need and will suffer for it.

While I believe businesses should be able to decide who can and cannot come in their doors, I think that the practice of discrimination is bad for business, and with the advances in technology and communication we have now, it's not difficult at all to organize boycotts or just inform the masses of a particular business' practices, causing them to lose income. It's not a good move to discriminate like that.
    Firstly, I just want to say that I really like your name and avatar I have my fingers crossed for this weekend. After last weekends performance, I'm hoping for a miracle. Being in Jacksonville, it's going to take one!

Back OT... The libertarian in me wholeheartedly agrees. Society and capitalism should work itself out. Good will prevail and shoddy business tactics will fail. (Unfortunately, this doesn't happen. Hence anti-trust laws, labor laws, etc.) The conservative in me thinks that owning property doesn't give people the right to take away other people's rights (assuming you are inviting the public onto your land). The realist in me thinks that if given the time, misinformation, and chance - all landowners could potentially disallow firearms on any property. Imagine if the only place you could exercise your second amendment was on your own property. What if you don't own property? Your rights would be tossed out the window in their entirety.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links