Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

This is a discussion on Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by discoboxer Moderators: if we can make this a poll, please assist. Thanks! Disregard a states individual laws regarding no-gun signs having/not having ...

View Poll Results: Do you support a business's right to ban guns?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

87 82.86%
  • NO

18 17.14%
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    Moderators: if we can make this a poll, please assist. Thanks!

Disregard a states individual laws regarding no-gun signs having/not having the force of law, just for this thread.

I personally hate to see businesses post no-gun signs. I think it is foolish policy on their part. I try to do my best to not support their business by going elsewhere.

Even if it frustrates you, do you believe they should have the right to deny firearms on their property?

Unequivocally YES.

I'm surprised there is so much discussion about this. Seems like a no-brainer.
    Brad426 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    The customer pays for all the bills and the business profit on top of that.
    Each individual customer contributes a tiny portion to the bills. Judging from the traffic in my local grocery stores I would guess I count for less than 0.001% of their revenues. And that is for that individual store. Seeing as how 2/3 of the grocery stores I shop at are national chains I don't think corporate is really going to miss me if I stop doing business with them. They throw away more money in a day in the form of expired milk or meat than they make off of me in a year.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Unequivocally YES.

I'm surprised there is so much discussion about this. Seems like a no-brainer.
    To me, and I think most gun owners, understand it is. I think most gun owners understand the rights someone has on their private property. I think there are a few that need to think this out. And the remaining very few possess a self-centric sense of entitlement that gives them the belief they can do whatever they please when they are a guest at someone's home or business.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Each individual customer contributes a tiny portion to the bills. Judging from the traffic in my local grocery stores I would guess I count for less than 0.001% of their revenues. And that is for that individual store. Seeing as how 2/3 of the grocery stores I shop at are national chains I don't think corporate is really going to miss me if I stop doing business with them. They throw away more money in a day in the form of expired milk or meat than they make off of me in a year.
    Point remains that no business pays it's own ills. It's customers do.

Im suprised how many of you are ok with this sign posting, I thought we were All on the same side. wow!! ...... LOL.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Im suprised how many of you are ok with this sign posting, I thought we were All on the same side. wow!! ...... LOL.
    It's amazing to learn how many gun owners are actual pro-gun control.
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    I never said I was ok with it, or that I honor it (and I'm not saying I don't). I said it is their right to post signs.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Property rights apply to the stupid and foolish just the same as to the intelligent and enlightened.
    This is brilliant. Perhaps even genius because of its encompassing accuracy with poetic brevity.

Yes, I think it is foolish for store owners to ban the lawful carry of firearms into their store, but they have that right.

IMHO, next month millions will cast a foolish vote, but it is their right.
    discoboxer likes this.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Business owners have no right to maintain such "dangerous situations". 'Public health and safety' FTW.

At least we agree that arbitrary gun-free zones are public hazards. That's progress.
    Sure they do, it's their property. If you find the risks outweigh the benefit of being there, don't go on their property.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    TX expat,

I appreciate your brevity, which by the way is not one of my strong points. Thank you for your explanation and for summing it up so well. This is the way I have been leaning but I couldn't quite put my finger on why I felt this way when I am also very pro 2nd amendment.

Now for my next questions:

Hypothetical...What happens if all the stores that sell food to the public decide to ban firearms? Does the property owner's Right which restricting one's access to the modern day food source still trump the 2nd amendment? In this situation it seems like the person who carries a gun must choose to relinquish their 2nd amendment Rights in order to continue to live (assuming they can't hunt or grow a large enough garden where they live).
    You're welcome. It's definitely a touchy subject and it does take even-minded approach to get past the mentality that your rights, as an individual, are somehow more binding to others than their rights. I believe it's absolutely imperative that people understand what they are asking for when they go with the assumption that they should be able to make up the rules on other individuals property.

Tx expat bad guys dont obey laws and rules !! We need to be aware of this and prepared. When I go to the store I go with no intentions of starting a gun fight, the whole purpose of getting cc liscense is to protect myself , if all stores were to post such signs and we had to leave our weapons in the car all the time it will defeat all purposes of even owning, carrying, and protecting. Bad guys dont play by the rules, this is the reason why the good samaritan always lose...Eddie.
    It really doesn't matter what the bad guys do. If you want to try and make the argument that because they break the law that you should to, then have at it, but then you are no different from them. Breaking the law is breaking the law (although obviously the degree of severity isn't necessarily equatable). They have their justification and you have yours... The simple fact is if you object to a company's "gun free" policy, let them know with your consumer power. Why would patronize a business that adopts that sort of policy? Carrying your gun illegally on their premises doesn't solve anything. All you do is risk whatever legal penalties your state enforces and you give money to a business that doesn't support your rights.
    discoboxer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Sure they do, it's their property. If you find the risks outweigh the benefit of being there, don't go on their property.
    ...or just ignore the sign and go in anyway.

And now you say: "You can be arested if signs have force of law".

Then I say: "Signs do not have force of law in my state or many others"

Then you say: "You still have to leave if asked"

And I say: "They have to catch me carrying first, and if they do then I didn't carry concealed correctly so that's my bad".

So you go post your cute little sign if it makes you feel better, but since bad-guys are going to ignore it, so will I.

VIP Member
    This reminds me of a cartoon I saw recently. There were two terrorists standing at the entrance to a building that had a "NO guns allowed" sign on the door. One says to the other, "well dang, now what do we do?"

Point being that IRL no sign is going to keep a BG out of an establishment just because it's on the door. It does keep people out who follow the rules/laws.

Bad guys are going to do what bad guys are going to do...sign or no sign.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    ...or just ignore the sign and go in anyway.

And now you say: "You can be arested if signs have force of law".

Then I say: "Signs do not have force of law in my state or many others"

Then you say: "You still have to leave if asked"

And I say: "They have to catch me carrying first, and if they do then I didn't carry concealed correctly so that's my bad".

So you go post your cute little sign if it makes you feel better, but since bad-guys are going to ignore it, so will I.
    Yeah, have at it... Give your hard earned, pro-2A, dollars to a corporation that doesn't support your right to bear arms. If that makes sense to you, knock yourself out. Just make sure you know the laws of any state you happen to be in because some of them will charge you with a serious weapons offense and then you may lose your right to possess any firearms.
    discoboxer likes this.

A person can be smart yet have no common sense, or have common sense and not be so smart, the one with common sense will live ......This is not directed to anyone here!, im just saying. Hopefully no one here learns the hard way .... Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Yeah, have at it... Give your hard earned, pro-2A, dollars to a corporation that doesn't support your right to bear arms. If that makes sense to you, knock yourself out. Just make sure you know the laws of any state you happen to be in because some of them will charge you with a serious weapons offense and then you may lose your right to possess any firearms.
    If we only shopped at places which supported our political views 100%, then no one would shop anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    This reminds me of a cartoon I saw recently. There were two terrorists standing at the entrance to a building that had a "NO guns allowed" sign on the door. One says to the other, "well dang, now what do we do?"

Point being that IRL no sign is going to keep a BG out of an establishment just because it's on the door. It does keep people out who follow the rules/laws.

Bad guys are going to do what bad guys are going to do...sign or no sign.
    Most everybody agrees with that. That is not the point. The point is rights of owners and business's and what they can allow and not allow...not their own personal rational behind it.
    TX expat and discoboxer like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Links