Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

This is a discussion on Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Business owners have rights, same as us. I may not agree with them, but that has nothing to do with their right to make the ...

View Poll Results: Do you support a business's right to ban guns?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

87 82.86%
  • NO

18 17.14%
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Do you support a businesses right to ban guns(Poll added)

Business owners have rights, same as us. I may not agree with them, but that has nothing to do with their right to make the "no gun" decision.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Anyone who says a business has a right to post against firearms, should have no problem with them posting against tall people, short people, fat people, people with purple handbags, people with blonde hair, people with freckles, people who are bald, people who have long hair, people who have bell bottom jeans on, people with polka dot blouses on, people who can't stop smiling, people who wear glasses, people with contact lenses,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ArmyMan and pgrass101 like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I support the fact that in a free country they have the right to post just like I have the right to shop elsewhere (actually, in FL I have the right to ignore the sign if not restricted by law and leave if asked to...but I have seen very few places posted in my area). When I travel to NC where the signs hold force of law and more places are posted (and places that serve alcohol are off limits by law), then I choose to go elsewhere. I don't drink, so no big deal to me, but it is nice not to have to plan around that issue in FL when the family goes out to eat at a nice restaurant.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

What seems to be getting lost over and over is what the Bill of Rights protects us from. On the radio today, a sports talk host in Columbus was on, he got fired for a very mild tweet. Callers kept bringing up his 1st Amendment rights and "freedom of speech".

That's not what the 1A is about. It's about protecting you from government interference. Your employer canning you because you made a public statement that they found detrimental has nothing to do with the 1A, particularly in "at will" states.

Similarly, a home or business owner barring you from carrying is not violating anyone's Second Amendment rights; he's not the government. Certain states ban carry in churches even if the church is ok with it. I think that's a 2A violation. They are taking away your 2A right to carry on private property and not giving the owner a choice. That's not what we are talking about here. If a business gets to choose, no Constitutional right is violated.
    TX expat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Anyone who says a business has a right to post against firearms, should have no problem with them posting against tall people, short people, fat people, people with purple handbags, people with blonde hair, people with freckles, people who are bald, people who have long hair, people who have bell bottom jeans on, people with polka dot blouses on, people who can't stop smiling, people who wear glasses, people with contact lenses,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    false & silly analogy.

discriminating against people...is NOT the same as discriminating against objects.

Quote Originally Posted by 2700 View Post
    To me, and I think most gun owners, understand it is. I think most gun owners understand the rights someone has on their private property. I think there are a few that need to think this out. And the remaining very few possess a self-centric sense of entitlement that gives them the belief they can do whatever they please when they are a guest at someone's home or business.
    yes, some folks actually think that the 2nd Amendment should not only cover businesses...but even other people's private property.

no my friends, you do NOT have the Constitutional right to carry your Glock on my front lawn.

now, does the Interstate Commerce Clause mean the govt. has the right to impose the 2nd Amendment upon businesses?

maybe....but banning guns doesn't ban folks from patronizing businesses, as all they have to do is leave the gun in the car or ar home. Black people cant leave their skin at home and Jews can't leave their religion at home...hence the difference.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I don't, your business your rules. You don't like beards and ask anyone with one to leave, that's fine with me.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Most everybody agrees with that. That is not the point. The point is rights of owners and business's and what they can allow and not allow...not their own personal rational behind it.
    Yes, I understand that. It just reminded my of that cartoon and the sign.

An owner obviously has the right to put a sign out that restricts guns.
    On the other hand, it's illegal to discriminate on most other basis and since carrying a gun is legal I question how a business has the right to deny access. I'm sure you'll tell me though.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    What seems to be getting lost over and over is what the Bill of Rights protects us from. On the radio today, a sports talk host in Columbus was on, he got fired for a very mild tweet. Callers kept bringing up his 1st Amendment rights and "freedom of speech".

That's not what the 1A is about. It's about protecting you from government interference. Your employer canning you because you made a public statement that they found detrimental has nothing to do with the 1A, particularly in "at will" states.

Similarly, a home or business owner barring you from carrying is not violating anyone's Second Amendment rights; he's not the government. Certain states ban carry in churches even if the church is ok with it. I think that's a 2A violation. They are taking away your 2A right to carry on private property and not giving the owner a choice. That's not what we are talking about here. If a business gets to choose, no Constitutional right is violated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Yes, I understand that. It just reminded my of that cartoon and the sign.

An owner obviously has the right to put a sign out that restricts guns.
    On the other hand, it's illegal to discriminate on most other basis and since carrying a gun is legal I question how a business has the right to deny access. I'm sure you'll tell me though.
    See the post I quoted above yours. If that doesn't explain it to you, I don't know what will.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    false & silly analogy.

discriminating against people...is NOT the same as discriminating against objects.
    Yeah you're discriminating against the gun carrier. There's no point in trying to play semantics.
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    See the post I quoted above yours. If that doesn't explain it to you, I don't know what will.
    I guess that explains it.

I didn't read through all the replies when I posted but reading what torgo wrote makes perfect sense. I was "thinking out loud"...probably not a good idea in a forum.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Yeah you're discriminating against the gun carrier. There's no point in trying to play semantics.
    no, as he can leave the gun in his car and his home.

guns are not physically attached to gun owners, like black skin is.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I don't, your business your rules. You don't like beards and ask anyone with one to leave, that's fine with me.
    banning customers from having beards, could be seen as religious discrimination as some religions require men to have beards.

Senior Moderator
    I think they can ban someone from their business because of their religion, skin color, tattoos, or for any darn reason that they choose too. It is their business and they can decide who they want to do business with.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Links