What shooting/EDC/Emergency prep item would you buy today with a $50 budget?

This is a discussion on What shooting/EDC/Emergency prep item would you buy today with a $50 budget? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious, What emergency prep, shooting, or EDC item would you buy today with a $50.00 budget? I may just buy $50.00 worth of ammunition! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What shooting/EDC/Emergency prep item would you buy today with a $50 budget?

Sponsor

Just curious, What emergency prep, shooting, or EDC item would you buy today with a $50.00 budget?

I may just buy $50.00 worth of ammunition! or maybe 3 3rdgen pmags (but they won't be available for a bit)

Thanks,
    Clay

It should probably be food....but it would probably be ammo :/

Quick Clot - I like the gauze type
    US Military tourniquet
    Cling ( wrap for wounds)
    Emergency Shears ( look like strangers scissors for cutting even clothing)
    4x4 dressing

Sent via Messenger Pigeon
    First Sgt likes this.

1. Water storage
    2. 50 lbs rice/25 lbs beans
    3. Propane to cook with.

$50 would buy much more food than ammo. It would feed the average family for a month. Of course most people will blow that in one night eating out while they have no emergency preps. When SHTF it will be a rude awakening for many.

Build yourself a medical kit and you should still have money for food items as well...JMO
    goldshellback likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

totally depends on what you already have on hand and where you live.

If you ain't got diddly, then I would take a bottom up pyramid approach... food, water, first aid... shelter... communication... then protection. After all, if you don't have food, water, or shelter, there's not much to protect.

Perhaps some might think they will take advantage of others that have prepared. This may or may not work depending on who you think you are going to get essential supplies from.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    totally depends on what you already have on hand and where you live.

If you ain't got diddly, then I would take a bottom up pyramid approach... food, water, first aid... shelter... communication... then protection. After all, if you don't have food, water, or shelter, there's not much to protect.

Perhaps some might think they will take advantage of others that have prepared. This may or may not work depending on who you think you are going to get essential supplies from.
    I know some people that only have guns/ammo for SHTF. They just plan to take what they need. Totally unrealistic and much more work then preparing before hand IMO. The fault with that logic is easy game wont be prepared. People really want to break into another's home and possibly kill for a can of soup? People that have provisions will most likely be prepared to defend it and have the advantage of a defensible layout.

Blows my mind that people want stock up on a few bags of beans and rice. These people don't take SHTF seriously. That will be thier downfall.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Administrator
    Well, for SHTF Gear your priorities are as follows in order of importance.

WATER ~ FIRE ~ SHELTER ~ FOOD

I would shop around for those. There are many water options available. You should be redundant in those and have more than one.
    And I would add some CamelBak ELIXER ORANGE ALERT oral re-hydration with added caffeine to add to your water.

For FIRE - I would buy a BLASTMATCH (since I am not making or selling any more of my great Ferro-Magnesium sets for the time being)

For an extremely lightweight protection from the cold and the elements I would buy a BLIZZARD SURVIVAL SLEEPING BAG.
    Blizzard Survival Reflexcell Bag Sleep System Good Down to 20 Degrees | eBay
    Link provided just so you can see what it is...shop around the INTERNET for a good price.

Basic Food - I would buy some MILLENNIUM Food Bars and a few Mountain House meals as very basic must haves.

Seeds, canned foods or medical items. Like its been said already, $50 won't stretch as far on ammo as it would other things.

Personally, speaking as a diabetic, food storage isn't as simple. (If I want to maintain optimal health anyways). So any extra money spent towards that situation would likely be spent on food goods and storage.

On that note, it seems medicine isn't usually on some people's priority list. If you're on a long term meds (be it test, diabetic meds, hypertension, etc) do you have atleast a month supply safely stored away? Most times, a 3 month prescription is cheaper than monthly.

Water, food, emergency medical kit.

Senior Moderator
    Unfortunately, $50 is not A LOT to start out but if you are talking about $50 a month then we are getting somewhere.

Honestly, shelter should be your start. If you live in a cold climate you can freeze to death long before you ever need a drink of water.

Tools, tarps, plywood to fit over your windows/doors (you could even pre-cut them to size so that in the event you need them you don't have to worry about cutting them, too), nails, screws, screwdrivers/drills that do not require working electricity and extra batteries or a solar charger. Hand saws, etc. Portable kerosene heater.

Next, is water... purification tablets? Extra jugs of water for days when it's hard to get, collection barrels, water enhancers (like QK suggested).

Then food and medication/medical supplies.

Don't forget cleaning supplies, too.

Not to sound like an Idot but what are these supplies needed for? Tornado, Hurricane, Blizzard, just normal loss of power? Or to go as far as like the "Zombie Apocolypse"?

It's almost November & you're in Utah. Firewood.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

If you only have the mag(s) that came with your gun, get some more.

Other than that, you need to bump up the budget to get some SERIOUS preps like a great water filter (Katadyn Hiker, for example) or an excellent, small rocket stove. Each of those is a bit less than $150 if you shop around and they give you tremendous value for your expenditure!

Previous posters gave some great ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links